First Time Player Class/Race help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nezkeys79, May 18, 2016.

1. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Think im just gonna make an iksar shadowknight on vox and human paladin on antonius bayle. Monk also sounds fun to me but i read it has problems early on with inventory issues
  2. --Voodoo-- Augur

Crescent Reach is the default starting city. For F2P, I believe it is the only option.

What I mean by obsolete is that even for a brand new player, there are new areas that are better than the originals. For one, I would recommend starting out in the tutorial. It will give you a good idea of the basics of the game, and you'll finish up decently equipped and around lvl 10 or so. So once you're done with that, you'll have already out-leveled the original starting zones.

Then you have the Hero's Journey quest line. Long series of quests, goes all the way up to like lvl 75 or something, though you don't have to do it all (or any, for that matter). Nice rewards for the most part. It's all centered around CR and the surrounding areas.

Inventory can be a pain, though strength isn't likely to be the limiting factor. Even if you get a little encumbered it juts slows your movement. (You can get so encumbered that you can't move at all, but it takes a lot to get there.) The limit at first is bag slots. I think Deluxe Toolboxes (cheap from certain vendors) are still the way to go at first. There's a variety of sources for bigger and better bags as you level up. Inventory clutter can be a hassle though. There's a ton of junk dropped in game. Best just to figure out what items drop in whatever area you're in that are actually worth anything, and ignore everything else. Advanced loot window has some nice options for doing that.

F2P does have it's limitations. Not really viable at all at higher levels I'd say, except maybe for a boxed character that already has its needed AAs. But don't let that scare you away. There's a very big and very enjoyable portion of the game that can be enjoyed for free.
  3. Onhanis Stonescale Elder

I suggest you make both on the same server. That way, you can pass around cash and whatever between them.
  4. Weverley Augur

For the shadowknight there is so something similar to heal that is call lifetap.The way it works is you cast that spell on the mob your fighting it damage the mob and heal you.Iksar is a good race for those because they have a racial that hp regen you.shadowknight also get in the mid 20s a spell call feign death that is often a life saver because u look like your death but you're not.
  5. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Why does my mwrc stand there doing nothing...cant get them to tank.
  6. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

So far the game hasnt aged well but im gonna play it a bit longer. I thinj i should probably buy a controller tho because playing with the touchpad ia kinda meh
  7. Weverley Augur

First on the mercenary window if it's highlighted on passive u have to change that to agressive for tank or balanced for a healer. Then use 1 of your spell on a mob or attack 1 and if u took a tank merc he's gonna come attack mob with u.If it's a healer he's just gonna wait that u need a heal before doing anything or wait that mob is dead.
  8. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Well actually I think FFXIV (which I heard is like wow) and games like it are incredibly dull except for graphics and sooooo hold your hand. Im a 90s kid myself so remember brutal games from back then. Reason Im here is to find a game where you actually need to read and think for yourself instead of use google + markers for every quest telling you exactly where to and exactly what to do
  9. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Someone recommended a game called eve to me saying it takes some thought process rather than just kill 5 rats, then trade something to someone, then some mire generic x3 of something and we will mark it on the map for you type of thing lol
  10. Weverley Augur

Many people say game like wow because that's the first 1 they play but they put all mmo in it that we're call sandbox but actually it wasn't wow who started those type of game everquest started like 4 years before wow, ultima online started like 8 years before wow daoc started like 7 years before wow so to say it was started with wow is a big exaggeration.
  11. Goranothos Augur

Pretty much, yep, but not until the later levels. The FTP model is designed to get new players into the game and get them interested, in the hope that they will buy a sub later.

Sounds to me like the class you are looking for is a Paladin or Shadowknight. Good luck and have fun!
  12. Zodiacrat0222 New Member

Here is a page with all the info you need about Classes, Races, Spells, etc...

Click <a href="http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Classes/">Here</a> for ZAM
  13. Quasimojo Elder

Do yourself a favor. Roll up a character and buy 3500 DB cash to give it a heroic boost to 85 with near max AA's (for a level 85) and serviceable gear.

I wouldn't recommend anyone start playing EQ at level 1 anymore, unless it's on a TLP server - especially if you don't have any high level friends to help you. EQ live is pretty much a max level game, now. Even if you manage to power-level to max level, you're still thousands of AA points and high end gear behind the curve, and that many AA's will take *much* longer to acquire.
  14. Weverley Augur

I wouldn't recommend that for somebody who never play no knowledge of the class, no knowledge of where to go no way to get additional aa without buying all-access also.Recipe to get him to quit within a week. Too many things to learn from scratch.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Monk does not need much in the way of gear for the first 50 levels. By the time you start needing more gear there is class specific gear that will be light enough and you will have plenty of Weight Reduction (WR) bags.

If you decide to look into other classes again you might consider Beastlords and Rangers.
  16. SevrinSevendust Elder

In your position of needs and desires as you have expressed, I would create an Ogre ShadowKnight. Ogre because they are stun resistant. That will help you as a solo player....I would shift/invest my skill points in stamina.

ShadowKinghts have good solo ability and when your looking for a group there is a good chance for you to join. Buy a healer merc.

Make your character and play it a bit, if you like it, go all access. In order to play at higher levels you will need all the defensive and offensive aa's you can acquire.

Best way to learn about the game is to go to Almarguides ...read level 1-105 for beginning solo players.

To learn you class but go to evilgamers or do a search on ever Shadowkights and start reading the forums like your doing here.
    Again, start at Almars website...his guides are awesome, everything you need to know is there.

Sevrin Sevendust
  17. Critts Augur

Paladin is what you want race wouldn't matter much. SK would be second best option for class best race is Iskar as they get 50 more AC then other classes followed by Ogres whom can not be stunned with frontal based stuns. Monks can solo pretty well, tho gear is going to play a larger role in what you can kill. Necros, enchanters, and mages are all very good solo. Surprisingly the Enchanter can tank as well as a knight if you know how to play them and of course the necro and Mage have the pets that tank for them. Best race for all of them is likely gnome due to getting the tinker trade skill that no other race can get or maybe an Iskar for a necro for the AC stated above. Beastlords are also pretty good as well as Rangers, but I would play a monk before those. Best race for Beastlord would be Ogre for the frontal stun block ranger doesn't matter.