First Time Player Class/Race help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nezkeys79, May 18, 2016.

1. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Im playing this game for the first time and was wondering what sort of character I would prefer the most.

1) I want something that can solo well with some form of self healing since I have no friends playing with me. I tend to play melee characters and usuallu go for paladins cause I like tank jobs. I do also like melee jobs that can deal lots of damage tho but not if solo they almost die every fight. In short while im soloing i prefer something that kills slower but never dies as oppose to a glass cannon

2) most suited races for the class I eventually pick
  2. Borek-VS Augur

It doesn't really matter much which race you pick by stats, so pick one you like the look and feel of the most.

On normal servers, you can hire mercenaries for when you don't have a group to look after you; these can be healers, tanks or dps, and you can switch them around if you like, and for different situations. So you don't need to worry about self healing, etc.

Check out the links in my sig as well.
  3. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Oh i see. How many mercs can you hire? Do you need a lot of money to have a merced group frequently?
  4. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Sounds just like trust magic from FFXI btw which is cool for newbies.
  5. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

So youre saying i could do either of these....

1) Choose a tank and hire both a merc healer and dps?
    2) Choose a healer and hire both a merc tank and dps?
    3) Choose a dps and hire both a merc tank and healer?
  6. --Voodoo-- Augur

You can have only one active mercenary at a time. And unless you pay for extra slots, switching between types is a bit of a hassle.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Well in that case ill be picking a healer mercenary and going a tank/dps class
  8. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Any suggestions? Reading about this game kinda sounds similar to one of my other favourite franchises elder scrolls so one thing i wanna mention is i hate getting a message inventory full or encumbered like in Morrowind. So i want classes with high strength equipping high strength armour i guess
  9. --Voodoo-- Augur

From your original post, I think Paladin, Shadowknight, and Monk would all have some appeal to you. I'm no expert on any of them though.

Inventory management/encumbrance can be a little bit of a pain at first, but after a while you'll collect some bags with 100% weight reduction. Weight won't be a concern.
  10. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Tell me waht you knkw about each of them then
  11. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Oh yeah one other thing i like to choose for racial bonuses stats but i also dont wanna be hated by the cities. I remember in morrowind i wanted orc but they had no charisma and were hated by cities/good folks. So i want a racr that is considered good/light but also has a good racial bonus
  12. Weverley Augur

Ok melee classes that got some healing there is quite a few paladin got decent heals and can revive people when they get to higher levels and can be only from good races so no problem there. There is also beastlord and ranger that got healing but it's gonna be smaller heals then paladin til the 60s.Ranger can only be half-elf, wood elf and human so no problem going to good city.Beastlord is more complicated because some evil races has them too so i suggest barbarian, vah-shir or wood elf. There is also bard that got some heal too but for somebody starting might be too complicated for first character.It should be pointed that beastlord have a pet also so it's like the 2 of you fighting mobs.
  13. --Voodoo-- Augur

Race and alignment are, in practical terms, irrelevant. There's some impact in the oldest zones, but those zones themselves are largely obsolete. As a new player you'll likely start out in Crescent Reach and the surrounding areas, and Plane of Knowledge/Guild Lobby is basically the central hub area for everything. Neither area cares at all about race or alignment. Pick whatever race you like.

As for the classes, Paladins and Shadowknights (often collectively referred to as 'Knights') are basically a fighter class that casts spells. Paladins are the "good" variety, SKs being "evil". Pretty sure SKs are the better solo option, but don't quote me on that. Paladins get spells for healing, defensive buffs, stuns. SKs get lifetaps and damage-over-time spells. Overly simplistic, but maybe gives you a general idea. Both are "tank" classes, primarily focused on holding the attention of mobs so your squishier friends don't die.

Monks are a melee damage class. Martial arts/ hand-to-hand combat theme. Really not too sure of the current state of the class, since I've only recently returned myself. At times they've been decent to good soloers, some ability to tank, some self healing abilities, though mostly notable for group pulling and damage.

The class discussion forums (Tanks for Pal/SK, Melee for Monks) here may yield some better information. Most of it tends to be focused on the upper end of the level spectrum, but valuable nonetheless.
  14. Weverley Augur

Oh and for mercenary if you are f2p you gonna be limited to apprentice 1 and 2 so don't expect miracles from them either so you gonna want a class who is self-sufficient but the 3 i gave you earlier shouldn't need too much mercenary help unless you get a bunch of mobs all at the same time.Past the 70s you might have to upgrade to all-access though since f2p has a limit of 250aa but until then you should be ok.
  15. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

250aa whats that?
  16. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

First of all as a brand new player nothing is obsolete. Things are only onsolete for veteran players. What is crescent reach anyway?

Basically in a nutshell this is what im looking for....

1)I like melee jobs the most, preferably tanks, even more so ones that are self proficient without the need of a healer (although ive been advised i can take a merc healer so is that really gonna matter how aelf sufficient they are and in that case should i just pick a dps class instead lol)

2) I like picking races for their innate abilities and stats no matter how irrelevant they are late game. They make a difference early game and thats me.

3) I would prefer to be from a race that is good not evil but if it makes no difference whatsoever then ill go an evil race for better stats/racial abilities
    4) I HATE having to drop items every 10 minutes because my inventory is full. This is a huge one for me cause i like to horde stuff for selling/potentially needing so classes/races with naturally high strength are going to be the ones I want
  17. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Also i think i just learned something...free to play doesnt mean what i think it does. I think it means "its free but a gimped version of the game full of limitations"
  18. --Voodoo-- Augur

AA is alternative advancement. Special skills you get at higher levels. You devote all or some of your experience gain to earn AA points, which you then spend on the abilities. There's an almost incomprehensible mountain of them for every class, and the upper levels are balanced around having a lot of them. The 250 cap on F2P is laughably insufficient. You can increase the cap through the marketplace, but it's much better just to go all-access.

But that's not really a concern until lvl70+ or so, depending on your class. Plenty of time, and plenty of things to do before you worry about that.
  19. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Yeah if i like it enough ill paid sub. What other restrictions are there then on ftp
  20. Weverley Augur

Ok aa stand for alternate advancement and start at level 51 except for a few that cost nothing and are given earlier like origin which can send you to your starting city once every 30minutes. They are divided into general, archetype, class and special. There is also for your mercenary but that 1 got his own bar and move like your xp bar without any intervention from you. At level 51 on your character window underneath your xp bar another bar gonna appear for those aa.General aa are the same for everybody and include things like innate run speed which makes you run faster, innate metabolism that makes you eat slower and drink slower.Others gives you more mitigation so when mobs hit u if u got that aa you don't get hit as much.Ok next category is archetype so if i want to simplify there are some for caster classes and others for melee classes.Example of those for melee would be weapon affinity and finishing blow which makes your weapon hit for more damage and makes critical to happen more often. 3rd category is class so those are specific to your class.For beastlord for example there is a lot of categories that makes your pet more powerful.Special aa are like temporary buff with a time limit so those you have to buy continuesly if you want to use them.