Final Fuge - Goblins

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Neolore, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Neolore New Member

Had something odd happen today while trying this mission. when we followed the friendlies to the ambush spot, 2 goblins completely ignored the friendlies and jumped my group. Ended in a wipe. Dropped task, regrouped, and tried again. We were told maybe we were too close, so this time we stayed further back. This time, all three goblins came running at the group, and friendlies just stood there doing nothing. Is there a trick I'm missing here to get the friendlies to engage?
  2. Brickhaus Augur

I have had many runs where the goblins will come to attack my group and the NPCs will completely ignore the goblins ... even when the goblins are bunched up hitting me right next to the NPCs.

Assuming your group is on autofollow and you are following the NPCs (who sometimes get strung out as well moving from Camp 2 to the Goblins), there seems to be a sweet spot when you arrive at about the same time as the NPCs triggering the Goblins, but you don't run too far past. I generally try to stay a little to the west side of the NPCs heading to the ambush spot.

If I'm too early, or too late ... sometimes the NPCs are useless ... but it's never the same thing.

The far worse issue is when you are late and the NPCs fight the goblins down in the tunnel/camp thing. Because half the time then, one or more will get stuck in the side walls and since I generally only have an enchanter and shaman pet, I have to wait until that goblin kills a NPC and the script advances.
  3. Zolav Augur

My Fav is when one gets stuck under world and no one can hit it, even though you can see it clearly haha.
  4. Kalamos Augur

It seems random, based on script lag and what the NPCs decide to do. I've had runs where all three gobbies attack the NPCs, runs where all three run through the NPCs and to my group while the NPCs enjoy a nice circle jerk, and everything in between. Sometimes the NPCs go HAM and rush them under the bridge and hold them there in spots where the geometry keeps you from being able to hit them. That's always a real treat.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I solve this either A) AE Taunt on tank or B) Pet classes send pets after /xtar 1, /xtar 2, /xtar 3 respectively, or C) Combination of tank/pet across the three in extended target window.

Never wipe. /shrug
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Goblins are supposed to be crazy
  7. Spacemonkey555 Augur

If you’re having trouble due to boxing or something, just stay at the boar spot until after they’ve spawned. The script that agros them onto players has a shorter range than that and only fires once. They run out of their little canyon and run a bit south and then go idle in the open if noone is in range, and can be engaged in a more controlled manner.
    Thunderkiks, Conq and Svann2 like this.
  8. Iuwene Augur

Thats exactly how I do it. I let the friendlies run ahead and slowly follow invis. Usually I run into one or two goblin south of the npc group waiting there idle where I can safely engage them while the npcs deal with the remaining.
    It is rare that the npcs will grab all 3.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yep, we've seen just about every scenario. Sometimes, all 3 will come out and engage with the NPCs. Sometimes, they stay in the ditch and the NPCs go down to them. Sometimes all 3 goblins will run for us...sometimes 2...sometimes 1.

I have yet to see a reliable pattern to the engagement.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Spacemonkey555 Augur

When the NPCs reach the area, the 3 goblins spawn and run a script, each one either agros Shalowain or a player within range independently. If they roll player and none are close enough for the script, they run about 50 feet south and stay there without assisting on Shalowain. I'm guessing it's a 50/50 chance for each on agroing Shalowain, making 1/8 chance for all 3, 1/8 chance for none, and 3/8 chance each for 1 and 2.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  11. Shea Lorekeeper

The 3 goblins are the most random, sketchiest part of this mission. Seems like their agro is completely random. When I first started learning this mission I wiped 2-3 times on this part but haven't had an issue for quite some time now. Here are a few tips.

1) if you DO wipe, you can recover. If you have 1 person/char. that can drop agro (most classes have some ability for this), do so if at all possible. The goblins and NPC's will just stand there and you can pop a merc/rez/recover/rebuff etc. and then engage in a much more controlled way. Seems (from my experience) that the script pauses here until goblins are dead. I think I had one instance where I completely wiped, ran someone back, waited for merc to pop, rez'd rebuffed, and finished the mission. No need to drop it and start from scratch.

2) I generally stop between the 2 bushes the NPC's path through just prior to getting to the dugout where the goblins spawn. If you wait there then most of the time you'll have 1 or 2 goblins come to the group. Sometimes 0, sometimes all 3, but most of the time it's just 1 or 2.

3) be prepared. I am generally with a warrior, if so I have him switch to shield and drop his long term disc if it's running right after the gargoyle dies. Be prepared to hit fort/flash and AE taunt as soon as you see goblins coming towards you. Whatever you need to do to get the goblins on the tank and get them slowed. After that it's all downhill and the rest of the mission is pretty much a given.
    minimind likes this.
  12. Alnitak Augur

A few things to take into "goblin" considerations:
    3 goblin spawn once NPC's get closer to the river crossing. All 3 are rogues. They will aggro on actual players (if players are close enough) or will aggro on NPC's, their targets are somewhat random. Once aggro they being rogues will use rogue's ability to evade the fight and will drop the aggro of their intended target. If any rogue has targeted Shalowain (none, 1, 2 or all 3 goblins, random roll) then that rogue will continue attacking Shalowain as I believe the bard can hold the grudge. If a goblin has attacked a player and that player is still close enough then the goblin may attack again after the rogue escape.
    That leads to a variety of situation once that task stage begins:
    No goblins attack Shalowain and all 3 just stand nearby inactive. If any (or all) goblins have targeted playes which are still close enough - they will reengage players. NPC's will not help.
    1,2 or all 3 goblins will attack Shalowain and will ignore players outside melee range. Meanwhile non-attacking goblins stand inactive nearby or attack close-by players.
    If Shalowain dies - goblins despawn and the task advances to the final stage. Easy step, as even a single goblin will kill her unassisted.
    The gotcha here - if Shalowain wins over an attacking goblin (with your assistance, for example), but inactive goblins are not killed by players - the mission resets after a while, which was a surprising way for me to find out how to lose this mission. So, I typically engage and kill inactive goblins before assisting Shalowain, which sometimes leads to a failed "Delay the inevitable" achievement if odds stack against the bard.

To make the script simple - just wait for extra 30 secs to a minute at the second stop after you kill the wrath. it will give NPC's the time to run to the river crossing, engage the goblins and gives them time to "escape". Run invisibly to the fight sight and assess the situation - position the group and engage the idle goblins if any, then help Shalowain under attack. Or just wait for the bard to die to attacking goblins.

This may be useful for pet tanking groups. Curiously, this mechanics is not known by groups with tanks, especially raiding tanks who just brutally engage everything hostile in there.
  13. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

All I do is this. (4 mages and 1 enchanter) I follow a little behind the NPC's to the goblin ambush area. When they spawn I pick off the goblins when they attack my team. Usually I get 1, sometimes 2.
  14. Cadira Augur

If the devs read this as a bug, fyi it's only the female goblins that agro the group.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

Too much charisma!
    Cadira and Nennius like this.
  16. Endorek Lorekeeper

Bard songs on the friendlies will transfer agro to your group, so make sure to kill the songs before they run off.