Fierce Eye & Illusions of Grandeur: Make Up Your Minds, Please...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zaviere, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Zaviere Augur

This is one thing about being a Bard that drives me up the wall, in regards to how often it gets changed;

Bard: Fierce Eye vs Illusions of Grandeur :Enchanter

I have seen these two temporary buffs react to one another in several different ways over my years as a Bard, and it baffles me how often the relationship between them changes without any notice whatsoever.

1. Sometimes, FE and IoG will overwrite each other (current iteration)
    2. Sometimes, FE will not activate if IoG is already active, but IoG would still overwrite FE (last iteration)
    3. Sometimes, one will overwrite the other, but the reverse is NOT true (past iteration)
    4. Sometimes, both effects can be active on a player at the same time (past iteration, unsure if the actual effects stacked, or if only the stronger of the two had any impact)

I can recall MAYBE once or twice that an iteration of the synergy between FE and IoG changed from one to another of the above WITH note of it made in patch notes. Every other time that it's flip-flopped, it's been with no prior indication. My big question is, "Why?".

I have absolutely no idea what causes the stacking of these two effects to change with any given monthly patch, but it's annoying. I'd be happy to just have ONE of the above iterations set in stone permanently, rather than have it change at random for whatever reason. Seriously, just pick something and do whatever is necessary to cement the code in place.

Now, if you want to talk about which iteration would be most preferable, I'd say #2 would take the top spot (in my opinion), with #4 being the runner up.

But again, simply making ONE of those options permanent would be better than having it change as often as it does for no apparent reason. Please consider doing this, for the sake of Bard sanity!
    Yinla and Cadira like this.
  2. Cadira Augur

Fix this, and quit breaking it!
  3. Jolav Journeyman

After the last fix I thought it was #2 always. But I just have a rotation with enchanter so I wait till IoG wears off. But as some events go longer it is annoying not knowing how they will react to each other.
  4. Sancus Augur

[51342/48821] Fierce Eye IV
    Restriction: No Illusions of Grandeur Buff
    Target: Caster Group
    Range: 200', AE Range: 200'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 60s+ (10 ticks) Song, Dispelable: No
    2: Increase Chance to Critical DoT by 13%
    3: Increase Chance to Critical HoT by 13%
    4: Increase Chance to Critical Heal by 13%
    5: Increase Chance to Critical Nuke by 13%
    6: Increase Critical Nuke Damage by 13% of Base Damage
    8: Increase Hit Damage by 13%
    9: Increase Worn Proc Rate by 300%
    11: Increase Critical Hit Damage by 13% of Base Damage
    12: Increase Spell Damage v4 by 130% (Before DoT Crit, After Nuke Crit)
    13: Limit Max Level: 110 (lose 100% per level)
    14: Limit Type: Exclude Combat Skills
    15: Limit Class: ALL

If FE is overwriting IoG, which I haven't personally experienced, that would be a bug. There were patch notes with regards to this change, and it hasn't (intentionally) been changed since.
    Zaviere likes this.
  5. Verily Tjark Augur

Ye I thought this problem was fixed... then again I don't always get in a group with a bard on raids
  6. Zaviere Augur

Bug or no bug, it's definitely changed again since the last patch. A fellow Bard guildmate of mine got chewed out by Necros during our last raid cycle because he hit his FE key by accident and it overwrote IoG. I then personally tested it last night, both ways, and found that both effects were again overwriting each other.
  7. kizant Augur

Does that bard 'accidentally' do that sort of thing all the time? If it really was a rare accident then there's no reason they should have made a big deal about it. Whether or not FE can overwrite IoG isn't really the issue. A wasted FE is still problematic and people need to know when and when not to click.
  8. Zaviere Augur

As far as I know it happens very rarely in our caster groups. I'm always in a melee group myself, but fat-fingering the wrong key can happen to anyone, ya know? Or forgetting to swap out the Epic + FE combo hotkey commonly used in melee groups for one that only fires Epic and leaves FE to be cast separately when needed in a caster group.

As for not making a big deal out of it, you haven't met our Necros, LOL.

I partly disagree because I DO think FE overwriting IoG is an issue, even if just for those rare times that a Bard mistakenly fires FE too soon. I can't argue against knowledge of when the appropriate time to click FE is important, that's definitely true. However, it was a QoL convenience to have FE not activate if IoG was already running.

It's certainly not going to break the game for a Bard one way or another, but as Sancus pointed out it was eventually, SUPPOSEDLY coded into FE that it wouldn't activate if IoG was already up, and clearly there is some kind if bug or other malfunction preventing that from being the case since the last patch.

All I'm asking for is consistency.
  9. Vargaz New Member

Doesn't MS require GINA for raids? The bard should have seen IoG was active either via GINA or GTT or by looking at his buff windows. I would think your Chanties have a /g announcement tied to activating IoG as well.

"Emote Failure
    Emotes are a part of raiding. Channeling through an emote, failure to move to the correctly designated area, or repeatedly dying to raid emotes will result in fines and or listing without points / attendance if it jeopardizes our ability to defeat the target. Leadership provides GINA triggers and we utilize teamspeak to call emotes. Applicants in their first raid cycle are exempt from this policy as they are learning to raid with us. Some events will require Simon Says - like emote checking before engage. Repeated failure during these times will be handled like failing an emote during the actual event. Special circumstances arise and will NOT be fined and are understood by leadership, i.e. double emote calls."

While I agree with some of your sentiment, I have to side with your necros on this one. Stated right there in your raiding polices posted online.
  10. Derd Augur

He didn't fail an emote, he hit his fe while iog was active. Which is currently rebroken and does overwrite. I believe it was two patches ago when it happened, but could be wrong. It shouldn't but does.
  11. svann Augur

I dont normally get grouped with enchanters but didnt FE not cast at all when iog was up, at least since a few patches ago? So by the way it was working (and should work) it wouldnt overwrite and it also wouldnt be wasted.
  12. Nniki Augur

Game Update Notes: December 12, 2017
  13. Nniki Augur

I tested it... summary at the end.

Test 1
    - Bard and Enchanter grouped together
    - Bard had Fierce Eye IV (Rank 12/12)
    - Enchanter had Illusions of Grandeur II (Rank 6/7)
    - Started with no buffs

From Bard's perspective...

Enchanter casted Illusions of Grandeur II
    Illusions of Grandeur II landed on Enchanter and Bard
    Enchanter begins to cast a spell. <Illusions of Grandeur II>
    Enchanter is consumed by Illusions of Grandeur.
    Illusions of Grandeur fill your mind.

Bard casted Fierce Eye IV
    Fierce Eye IV interrupted due to Illusions of Grandeur II on Bard
    Your spell is interrupted. This ability cannot be activated while Illusions of Grandeur is active.

Bard casted Intensity of the Resolute
    Intensity of the Resolute overwrote Illusions of Grandeur II on Bard
    You begin singing Intensity of the Resolute.
    The Illusions of Grandeur fade from your mind.
    Your mind sharpens and strength flows into your body.

Bard casted Fierce Eye IV
    Fierce Eye IV overwrote Illusions of Grandeur II on Enchanter
    Fierce Eye IV blocked by Intensity of the Resolute on Bard
    You begin singing Fierce Eye IV.
    Enchanter is enveloped in the fierce eye aura.
    Your Fierce Eye IV spell did not take hold. (Blocked by Intensity of the Resolute.)

From Enchanter's perspective...

Enchanter casted Illusions of Grandeur II
    Illusions of Grandeur II blocked by Fierce Eye IV on Enchanter
    Illusions of Grandeur II blocked by Intensity of the Resolute on Bard
    You begin casting Illusions of Grandeur II.
    Your Illusions of Grandeur II spell did not take hold. (Blocked by Fierce Eye IV.)
    Your Illusions of Grandeur II spell did not take hold on Bard. (Blocked by Intensity of the Resolute.)

Test 2
    - Bard 1, Bard 2, and Enchanter grouped together
    - Bard 1 had Fierce Eye IV (Rank 12/12)
    - Enchanter had Illusions of Grandeur III (Rank 7/7)
    - Started with no buffs

Bard 2 casted Intensity of the Resolute
    Intensity of the Resolute landed on Bard 2
    Bard 2 begins to sing a song. <Intensity of the Resolute>
    Bard 2's mind sharpens and strength flows into their body.

Enchanter casted Illusions of Grandeur III
    Illusions of Grandeur III blocked by Intensity of the Resolute on Bard 2
    Illusions of Grandeur III landed on Enchanter and Bard 1
    You begin casting Illusions of Grandeur III.
    Your Illusions of Grandeur III spell did not take hold on Bard 2. (Blocked by Intensity of the Resolute.)
    Bard 1 is consumed by Illusions of Grandeur.

From Bard 1's perspective...

Bard 1 removed Illusions of Grandeur III
    The Illusions of Grandeur fade from your mind.

Bard 1 casted Fierce Eye IV
    Fierce Eye IV blocked by Intensity of the Resolute on Bard 2
    Fierce Eye IV overwrote Illusions of Grandeur III on Enchanter
    Fierce Eye IV landed on Bard 1
    You begin singing Fierce Eye IV.
    Your Fierce Eye IV spell did not take hold on Bard 2. (Blocked by Intensity of the Resolute.)
    Enchanter is enveloped in the fierce eye aura.
    You feel an aura of fierceness come over you.

Bard 2 leaves.

Enchanter casted Illusions of Grandeur III
    Illusions of Grandeur III overwrote Fierce Eye IV on Enchanter and Bard 1
    You begin casting Illusions of Grandeur III.
    You are not quite as fierce as you were a moment ago.
    Bard 1 is consumed by Illusions of Grandeur.

Summary
    1. Fierce Eye cannot be activated while Illusions of Grandeur is on the bard.
    2. Fierce Eye IV overwrites Illusions of Grandeur III.
    3. Illusions of Grandeur III overwrites Fierce Eye IV.
    4. Fierce Eye IV blocks Illusions of Grandeur II.
    5. Intensity of the Resolute blocks both Illusions of Grandeur III and Fierce Eye IV.
    Sancus and Havanap like this.
  14. Nniki Augur

I forgot to list it in Test 2 above, but I also tried activating Fierce Eye IV with Bard 1 with Illusions of Grandeur III active (right before where I removed it), and it was interrupted in that case as well.

"Your spell is interrupted. This ability cannot be activated while Illusions of Grandeur is active."
  15. Axel Furry Hats OP

While I agree that its dumb that they keep changing it, bards shouldn't be attempting to cast FE anyways because we know, and have known for years, that they don't stack. It takes, what, like half a second to look at your songs window and see that IoG is running? Or 30 seconds to set up a GINA trigger for it?