Few noob questions for tlp servers

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rooksmirk, May 17, 2021.

1. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Hello all,
    Weapons

how to figure out a weapon by looking at its delay ? and ratio ? Sometimes it s easy to see, but at times, it s takes some heavy math ! how to figure out if a 2 hs is better than duel wielding 2 1h ?
    1 / situation: 1 i am tanking with a balanced group. 1 hs or blunt or piercing + shield . Delay must be shortest right ? should i prefer faster delay over damage ? ( assuming i am not making all my aggro with the weapon but maybe that s how it works for all melee type)

2/ situation 2 : i am soloing :2 hs is probably better with the longest delay ? what if i have a choice of two weapons of same damage but of different delay ? always prefer the fastest ? (assuming other benefits don't weight out the slower delay or vice versa)

Tradeskills

1/ potery : what is the use ? ( like when you are maxed) is it worth it to invest in it to make some cash on tlp to gear up ?
    2/ from my little experience, it is very difficult to raise a tradeskill. i never go further than 30 points before i run out of mats and cash. Yet i see many people managing that quite fast . People selling banded armor or mana potions etc. Does it require selling an early krono to get the cash needed ? is there an easy path noobs are unaware of ? :)
    Thank you in advance
  2. Herf Augur

I don't have any concrete information on weapons but I'll toss in a few things to ponder:
    - which weapons you choose will depend on your class and your role in the group. Sometimes you pick for highest DPS, sometimes you pick for proc effects (dps, snare, agro, etc.) and sometimes you go sword and board for higher AC while tanking (don't be fooled, tanks are not DPS.)
    - in the old days the claim was that faster weapons gave you better agro. That's why the Yak's and Lammys were popular. I don't know if this is still worth considering.

Tradeskills:

Yes they can be very useful. Yes they are very expensive, although picking the right recipes to lvl can reduce the the cost. Check eqtraders.com .

Selling krono is the only way to get money other than farming plat or selling items, so at the start of a new server that's how it is. There are mobs which are farmed at certain lvls which can drop more plat (hill giants and sand giants for example.) At higher lvls (say when Luclin+ unlocks) there are some very involved quests that require tradeskills but give you great items many of which sell for big money until a subsquent expansion or two reduces their value.

Then there's the issue of predicting demand on new expansions. Ex. When Kunark comes out there will be a demand for banded armor by all the Iksar, and Wu's tailored armor for IKS monks. When Luclin comes out there were be a market for Solstice earring kits.

As for the individual skills:
    - Blacksmithing - expensive but you can sell banded pretty rapidly. Lvl it up by sharpening and vendoring tarnished steel weapons to make early skill points and some coin. IIRC you can also melt down fine steel weaps to make metal to make armor from. Once you get past banded and plate, which is expensive, it gets even more expensive, but at the high end there's some excellent armor which can be made.
    - Pottery - one of the less expensive skills if you pick the right recipes, and don't bother firing unfired pottery to safe the costs of firing sheets. You can eventually make some ceramic items which have spell focuses and fit in ranged slots. IMHO pottery is one of those skills which is often required to make parts used for other tradeskills. I.e. ceramic linings for 'smithed frying pans.
    - Jewelcraft - very expensive but probably has the earliest useable items to sell.
    - Tailoring - you can make bags which can be sold once you can kill bears which is a good way to make money. You can also make various types of clothing for casters. But it gets expensive once you're into the 200s.
    - Brewing - like pottery, it's a skill used to make other crafting items (tempers for smithing, etc.) But it's fairly cheap to do and eventually you can make stat drinks.
    - Baking - one of my favorites just because you can cook meats and body parts to make foods you can eat in front of other races in your group to rib them :) Plus you can make stat food. Materials are cheap because you recycle parts from mobs you kill to make food.

Those are the main skills, I've left out a couple probably.
    Annastasya likes this.
  3. Ebine Augur

If you are starting on a TLP doing tradeskills its a dual job situation.
    You have to start farming the items quickly and then start making stuff
    You then have to sit in common lands and try and sale the stuff to get more money.
    Sometimes guilds help certain people get high level by feeding all the mats to them.
    Tinker and research are two that are needed in the game
    Research not for spells but some raid content needs research done.
    Tinker you need high level to make the aaaa boxes that eat up all your plat

Pottery will be a long time before you can make money and even then with all the easy loot
    I would think you could get a drop charm easier than you could buy a pottery charm.

If your going to play long term there are benefits
    Pop earring
    Shawl 1.0 , 2.0 and 3.0 aug
    I would say Erons Jewelry which I was exited about but with all the raid loot I could get
    it wasn't an upgrade when I got to it.
    Artisan prize.

https://www.almarsguides.com/ has good content for each expansion what is available to you.
    you can get up to lvl 199 in pottery for little plat and hardly any time.
    Most trade skills have easy ways to get up to the 200s.
    After 200 240 or so it starts getting expensive.

I think in the start of EQ you could make Wu's item and be able to sell that fairly well.
    Banded armor like you said will sell.