Feeder Servers? Why Not? Empower Growth! @Devs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Montag Augur

Classic-PoP is the biggest draw in this game, at least when it comes to TLPs.

People who miss the boat on a new server often just don't rejoin at all. They're given forum advice like "wait 6 months for the next TLP" when they could be subbing and playing NOW.

The argument that the devs don't know if the expensive cost of feeder servers would pay for itself makes no sense at all since they would only last until the merge point. At which point everyone on the server would have say, 30-90 days to transfer to whatever servers the dev deem okay.

They you either close the feeder server, or just wipe it and start over. Sounds a whole lot more cost effective than paying to maintain dead servers like Brekt and Coirnav, and remember Vulak?

The first server should end with a merge into, or free transfers to Agnarr to keep our P99 competitor viable.

If it's a big success, which it will be, the second run through could have the option of transferring to Agnarr or a "stage 2" feeder server that goes from like GoD to Buried Sea (or whatever) and so on. For feeder servers in less popular eras you could tweak selo rules or something to help with attrition.

There is no possible timeline in which the classic-pop feeder into Agnarr could fail. It's the exact thing people keep coming back for. Do you know how many p99 people came to Agnarr? Now they are doing feeder servers. We need to wise up to what the current player base needs to stay engaged and keep subbed.
  2. Machen New Member

I think we need to rethink this. There are way more people currently playing in post-PoP content on the TLP's than there are people playing classic-pop. Yes, there are seven TLP's past pop and only one currently pre-pop, but all the players playing on Phinny, Selos, Coirnav, etc had the option to restart on agnarr and chose not to.
  3. AcemoneyFV Augur

Listen, the trend has been the same since the start of TLPs.

New server -> influx of players -> GoD comes around -> server dies.

Feeder servers, more exp, whatever, it's not going to save any server. People like to play when it's current. No one wants to hop on a server where everyone is max lvl, aa's, quests done, etc. People like to be apart of the NOW community. No one really likes to play catch up. When this 'feeder' server ends, so will most of the players! No one sticks around to farm PoTime and the same stuff over and over.

Why does Agnarr even need a feeder server? If it was highly attractive, why aren't people just going there? Because the fun is OVER. It's no longer playing with the player base and doing things in current expansions, it's the same people who don't want to do anything but the same content over and over. For people who like to farm to make plat, make Krono, etc... that ship is gone! The fun is no longer there. People moved onto Mangler / Selo's and will do the same when the next TLP comes.

You joined these servers knowing they would end up dead, it's been like that for EVERY server (TLP). If you want to play on a server when it's populated, wait until a new server is released. That's all you can do.
  4. Machen New Member

No server has ever died at GoD. Nice try though.
    Tymeless likes this.
  5. Montag Augur

That's the exact point of feeder servers. There's always a current one in each era.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Going to say no on that one, I doubt even with Selo's barely getting above low pop these days that the split is somewhere 40% everyone else and 60% mangler.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Fixed that for you.
  8. globeadue Lorekeeper

I'd like to see something like how diablo 3 does seasons... here is some harebrained special rule server for 30 days, here is a list of achievements to get, here is some funky familiar or armor set for your getting those achievement, end of 30 days, char gets dumped onto a progression server of your choice and a new freaky rule set goes active.
    Tymeless likes this.
  9. Midnitewolf Augur

To be honest, this just sounds like a big case for allowing server transfers in general. Many of these TLPs die really quickly and when it does, your stuck, you have to start over from scratch. Honestly that fact alone has to keeps many people from returning to or even sticking with the game.

I know when I jumped from Corinav to Selo, I would have loved to bring my Chanter along for the ride and now that I am finding Selo's expansion release pace to fast for me to keep up with, I would love to bring my new Chanter over to Mangler in the hopes that server is better suited to me. But nope I would have to start all over again including buying another 2-3 Krono for starter money. Honestly I just don't want to do this for the 3rd time so if I quit Selo, I quit EQ. I have to wonder how many other players feel the same way.