[Feedback] -- Cancel Membership

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by enclee, Apr 29, 2020.

1. enclee Augur

So, I was cancelling some box accounts that I'm done needing gold, and it reminded how well the Membership page obfuscates the Cancel Membership option.

Can you make the cancel option look the same as the upgrade membership option? The text isn't highlighted, bolded, italicized, or anything special. I understand you don't want people to figure out how to cancel, but businesses that act in good faith with their community do better.

And yes you can have some of their stuff, they're on FV.
    Vumad likes this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It seems fine to me. It's literally right next to "Upgrade Membership" on the membership page. And if they tinkered with the button too much, people who have vision impairments (colorblindness) may have issues.

Other companies (e.g. magazines) force you to email or call customer service directly in order to cancel.
  3. enclee Augur

Oh, I’m aware of having to go through customer service and being on hold to cancel. If, you’re going to use the colorblindbess argument, then the Upgrade Membership should be the same as the cancel text. I handle user interfaces at work, and this doesn’t follow the rules of usability engineering. If, the formatting was swapped then I’d have a post how the upgrade membership option isn’t obvious.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yes, Daybreak is nice enough not to force us to wait for GMs or CS to cancel our subs. (They could bank on people missing the auto renew deadline while their "cancellation is processed manually.")

The gray spectrum is typically not an issue with colorblindness. If they decided to use red or green (common colorblindness), then you are going to have major issues.

https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-pu...of-eye-and-vision-conditions/color-deficiency
  5. enclee Augur

You're correct, but you're ignoring the obvious orange box that has upgrade membership. If, we're designing for accessibility, then it should be the same format for both. I'm speaking from professional experience that users won't know that the text is clickable.

So, I ask you this if the formatting were swapped between Cancel and Upgrade would that be released to the production environment?
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The "Upgrade Membership" box on my account's membership page was gray. Are you describing the membership page on the main website? If you are seeing differently, then my OS or browser settings may differ from yours.
  7. enclee Augur

My fault it's more of a red, when it's moused over.
    Benito likes this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yes, I would agree that if it mouses over as a different color then that might be a cause for concern.
  9. Strawberry Augur

The worst subscription I ever had to cancel was Playstation Now (the Sony cloud gaming service). It was impossibly complex to cancel through the site, so I called them up. They let me wait about 20 minutes and made me jump through non-stop hoops trying to cancel.

Never had I ever screamed at someone on the phone until that point. I think I screamed at the person for 3 minutes straight.

Since then, I rarely use any subscription services unless I can use paypal, because I know I can just cancel through paypal instead of having to deal with the company.
  10. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Ever been to Game Stop and not have a card membership? :cool: Kind of the opposite of canceling, but still quite annoying. :p
    enclee likes this.
  11. enclee Augur

RIP GameStop...
  12. Magickon Augur

I've never had to cancel it without having a ps4, but it's super easy to do through the ps4. It's also easy to remove the credit card information.

But, should you ever want to dip back into the sony world again, they've accepted paypal for quite a while now. Also for general peace of mind I am sure that virtual credit cards may interest you. If you have not heard of it, check it out.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Least canceling eq is easy try comcast. goto there website and you can upgrade np but you cant cancel as they make you call to do it just saying. I make enough pp to just feed my accounts kronos now kinda nice.

Andarriel