February 2016 Patch Preview

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Roshen Brand Manager

We want to make Paladins and Shadowknights more effective at the things they ought to be doing.

In this patch, we plan to have:
    • At level 85 (and with the release of Underfoot om progression servers), a new passive ability will be granted to knight classes that grants them a 5% melee mitigation bonus.
    • The weapon stances AA ability will become available to knight classes to better differentiate and improve upon the effectiveness of using either a two-handed weapon or a shield.
  2. Sancus Augur

Very much appreciate the continued communication Roshen!

(And am also very curious to test the pet aggro changes)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Haste Lorekeeper

Can we get some specifics on how this will affect Enchanters ability to gain agro in situations where they want it, as opposed to other caster classes please.
    Faana likes this.
  4. Edge Apprentice

Hey Roshen,

Are there are plans to improve/fix mage pet mitigation on the progression servers?
  5. Roshen Brand Manager

The focus for this patch is aggro, and there are no changes in February planned for pet/NPC damage mitigation.

Overall, the team feels these numbers are MUCH closer to where they ought to be, compared to a few months ago when pets were mitigating damage better than player tanks in almost every situation.

We will continue to look at the Magician class, and how well their pets perform, but there are no plans for pet mitigation changes in the upcoming patch.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  6. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I cannot properly express just how infuriating this is. The weapon stances were a way to make Warriors unique from the Knights, to offset for the lack of self-buffs, self-healing, and other utility abilities. Now it's just being given away to classes that have seen additional buffs (Shield Flash, Bold Attacks, Innate Darkblade, and Reaver's Bargain) since the introduction of the Proficiencies. Once again, the only reason to have a Warrior is the 3 minute window of Last Stand. :mad: Consider doing something else instead of farming out a unique ability.
    beryon and Faana like this.
  7. Sancus Augur

I'm assuming you're referring to pet mitigation on TLP servers? There hasn't been any announced changes to pet mitigation on live since the mitigation nerf about a year and a half ago.

Also, does that review of the Magician class at all encompass raid viability?
  8. Hellboy007 Augur

simple make last stand a perm ability.. problem solved.
  9. Zaknaffein Augur

So you gave knights our Flash disc and now are giving them an innate 5% mitigation bonus, PLUS our stances? (which will boost thier mitigation And DPS even more)

Isn't this a nice F*ck you to Warriors.

It didn't take long for you guys to farm out every single ability that Elidroth made specifically for warriors to the knights after he left EQ.....

When can I expect some new abilities or increases to warrior DPS to offset this horrible lack in foresight?
  10. Ghubuk Augur

The flash disc that was given to knights is not the same as the one given to Warriors. The reality is that warriors right now, far and away tank better than knights and also out dps them. It's also ridiculous to keep bringing up the ability to cast spells in today's EQ as warriors have a ton of different "spells" that use the yellow bar instead of the blue bar.
    Why don't people wait and see how the changes pan out before crying nerf the knights before the changes even happen??
    Igniz and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  11. strongbus Augur

is the new change in the amount of aggro the pets have going be the same as it is right now as it was before the changes or somewhere in between.

for example before these changes as a necro if i had mage pet aggro swords on my war pet I could load up the dots on a mob and not have to worry much bout taking aggro. Now even with the pet aggro aa and mage aggro weaps, my pet can't hold aggro over more then 2 or 3 normal dots or 1 or 2 swift dots and if I use the tbm super dot its fd and stay down.

also is aggro for pets going be bout the same across the board(ie all pets have the same base amount before adding in buffs/weaps/etc) or is it going be the same as it is now where the mage pets can out aggro a necro pet(not that i care bout this i see no issues with is as mage pets are made to be better then mine but would like to know)
  12. Mintalie Augur

Have you used Negation of Subtlety?
  13. Haste Lorekeeper

I'm well aware of our abilities and how to use them...

I'd still like to know how these changes will affect Enchanters (and other caster classes) agro generation going forward, specifically when they say

"We've fixed a problem with some direct damage spells that were generating either too much or too little aggro and adjusted the data to ensure that classes who wanted the extra aggro for their spells will continue generating the same amount.

TLDR: After this patch tanks will continue to generate as much aggro as they did prior to the fix while other classes may generate less aggro when using damaging spells that have a hate override.”
  14. Xorsazis Augur

I really believe knights and warriors should be at similar tanking levels. As tanks, it would do better to be able to use any tank class for any tank scenario.

However since the aggro changes, pet changes, and now upcoming changes, where would anyone want a warrior over a knight?

Aggro pets are extremely limited in use because they make positioning difficult to impossible.

Just about any monk doing a burn, regardless of how much I spam, will eventually surpass what I can toss. I found that I have to tank in 2H stance in groups to keep decent aggro because I am doing similar damage. My discs don't refresh near fast enough. Knights can throw down, no issue.

The mitigation change is cool. I like that they can be up there with us. It will help all parties in the long run.

Knights already out-DPS warriors without stancing. Their self-healing is so good they could get by on hybrid healing, if any at all. Pain Doesn't Hurt is great at mitigating hits, but sooner or later, our HP will still hit 0 unless someone else is there to heal it.

My biggest concern is, where can we come in and say, "Hey we offer something great, too."? What would we bring to the table that a knight wouldn't outshine us at? It puts warriors into a muddy middle ground. Last Stand is not enough. We need to be useful more than 5% of the time we play.
  15. dwish Augur

This is what I would like to know myself. Beast lords and rangers are two more examples of classes that have historically used high Agro DDs when they wish to tank. I'm really hoping I'm overthinking this and it's not going to be a huge Agro nerf to all non tanks classes.
  16. Silv Augur

He said direct damage spells. It will have almost 0 impact on Enchanter snap-aggro unless I'm missing something...?
  17. Jaerlyn Augur

While all three tanks should be solidly viable in all tanking situations (and it looks like they are working towards that even more, thankfully) - Wars could probably use some baseline DPS increase.
  18. dwish Augur

Yeah I believe chanters get their aggro from runes, so I doubt chanter aggro will be much different either way. There are some classes though that rely on high aggro DDs to tank.
  19. Hiladdar Augur

In my opinion, long term health of the game, are not the TLP servers, and how stuff works on them, but on the main servers.

For proof, consider the Trakanon server which started as a TLP server.

Based on that, my recommendation is fix the stuff in TBM that currently does not work, before mucking around TLP servers, adding new classes, adding ornaments, pets and so on.

Given how much issues and controversy as a result of the pet changes and fade changes, I got some real concerns with the upcoming changes to taunt, tanking and more pet changes.
    Caell, Elricvonclief, Metanis and 2 others like this.
  20. Koryu Professional Roadkill

1. The Flash ability is not literally identical, you are correct. Warriors use Parry while Knights use Shield Block, the skills both being boosted by 10,000% for a 6 second duration, both abilities only working to defend against attacks from the front, and both failing to do anything if the wrong weapon setup is equipped. Those are really, really close to identical. Knights needed it though to give healers the time to switch targets.
    2. You're confusing "nerfs" with "preventing unnecessary buffs that marginalize another class while adding to homogenization."
    3. My yellow bar does not self heal or lifetap, cure or debuff, stun or snare. We are not going to ignore your entire spellbook, the two things are not remotely equivalent. And don't act like you don't get access to abilities that use the yellow bar, either.
    4. Shadow Knights already out-DPS'd Warriors before the also unnecessary Innate Darkblade buff. You are either being dishonest or not fully informed/not playing with skilled members of both classes.