Feature request: Show spell scribed status on the spell

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zleski, Apr 4, 2023.

1. zleski Augur

While I know you can limit the vendor to show only "items I can use" (which excludes scribed spells), it can sometimes be handy to not check this vendor box to see all things. So in this case, it would be useful to click on the spell/song scroll to see if we've scribed it, like happens for tradeskill books. This also covers when you have a bag full of spells that you want to sell. Maybe you don't want to actually scribe it to find out if you have it scribed.
    Rijacki, Waring_McMarrin and CatsPaws like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Dev's have said that doing a spell lookup like that is too resource intensive than they prefer (books would be stored differently). They gave us the /outputfile missingspells command for us to see which spells were unscribed.
    zleski likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I like this idea - it would be like the collectables now, we click them and they show in red if we have already collected that one.

That way we can still buy it if we want, maybe for an alt or whatever.
    Rijacki and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  4. zleski Augur

Aww bummer. I guess I'll have to make due with the /output and look it up by hand.
  5. Aanuvane Augur

Hasn't someone built a parser yet that can compare your inventory outputfile to your missingspells output file?:p
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How would that be more intensive then the merchant doing that filtering for you when you go to buy a spell and it hides it if you already have it because you clicked the button to only show items you can use?
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Pure guess, spell vendors are more limited usage so the function is not being hit a whole lot for that, and it's existed so they might just be leaving it as is. When we lost the "Rk 2 runes show which ones you already have scribed" functionality for whichever expansion, the explanation was they did not like the performance impact that feature was having so suddenly took it away. It's not that they can't, or won't, or haven't, they would prefer to not be doing it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is a function of every merchant and not just spell vendors and as Catpaws said collectables already have a similar feature. I think there is some confusion around what the devs have said in the past and the statement was around making a filter in the bazaar to do that and not on the item itself.
    Rijacki likes this.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

Collectibles dont have to match multiple ranks, and its a newer feature so probably stored more optimally.

While baz filters has also been a topic, this was specifically about the spell runes having taken away the filter in rewards for spells already scribed. See RoF or TBM, one of those. The expansion before wouldn't show you spells you already had as a reward, and during beta the dev said that the function used was being too taxing on the DB so they stopping using it. If it's since been improved then it could be a possibility, but if it reqires backwork on all old spells to be compatible that would make it less likely.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

When you look at a specific reward option, aren't spell you have listed in Red while spells you don't have in Yellow? that does limit it to querying only one/two at a time.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am not sure that matters as all vendors already can exclude all spells based on which ones you have scribed regardless of rank. This is also true for the spell reward items that will exclude a spell if you have it at that rank or higher.

The only time I have heard that there was a performance issue was in regards to collected status of collectables as a filter in the bazaar.
    Madeni likes this.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

Yeah, but not during either RoF or TBM or something around that period. Reward was neither filtered nor colored. Whether its filtered or colored, to me is only visual and not functional.