[Feature Request]: Parsing Accuracy - Option to toggle on full mob names in logs (a_skeleton_00)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Quickfist, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Quickfist Apprentice

In the 2024 AMA, the community was asked to submit requests for parsing improvements.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...e-ama-responses-are-here.296796/#post-4293071

This request is for a new option to enable a "full mob name logging" mode. This mode would write the fully qualified mob name into logs. For example turning this mode on would log lines like.

You kick a_glare_lord_00 for 88 points of damage.
    A_glare_lord_00 has been crippled.
    A_glare_lord_00 has been poisoned.

This would allow players to create more robust triggers for encounters with multiple mobs for dots, mesmerize spells and other use-cases. It would allow parsers to disambiguate similar named mobs and properly attribute damage across each. When tanking, you'd be able to see how many mobs were hitting you more easily etc..

This mode would default to "off" and would be a toggle-able so players can easily enable or disable this mode.
    Shea, niente, fransisco and 13 others like this.
  2. MustardonWatermelon Elder

This idea "seems ok" in theory, but it is a solution looking for a problem.

#1 Everyone would have to modify a ton of their triggers to exclude the _00,_01 which is possible to do but this would require many people to have to re-learn how to do certain things all over again.

#2 For the vast majority of encounters, it really doesn't matter if the combat log sees skeleton or skeleton_00. There are some exceptions to this, such as in DoN there are raids where only certain mobs progress the event, but these types of encounters have never request parsing of each individual little zergling mob.

#3 In the context of allowing a parser to "see how many mobs were hitting you" this seems not actually useful to know. Name 3 raids where it matters if 10 skeletons were hitting tank1 and only 7 were hitting tank2.

#4 Sure, it could be possible to include the data of how many skeletons were hitting you in an overlay, but this data literally can change in an instant. No one would use that information other than for the lols, EQ healing in reality has never been about "Tank has 7 mobs on him, heal! Tank has 12 mobs on him, heal!"
  3. kizant Augur

I also wouldn't hate it if there were some keyword for player, pet, or npc on each line. Figuring out which one it is can be annoying.
    Nniki likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

He did suggest it is a toggle with a default off. So most of your concerns wouldn't be an issue because the change would be an Opt In situation.

#3, actually it could be very useful. If you check the parse, and 00, 01, 02, 03 were all hitting Offtank 1, and only 05 was hitting offtank 2, then it might be time to talk to offtank 2 about picking up an extra mob. Another example would be if I get killed by 01, and the offtank assigned to 01 was alive, we know who we need to talk to about their aggro. The issue is not the specific raid. The issue at hand is identifying people who are having performance issues and help them improve.

#4, I'm not going to suggest that the OPs suggestion would be a useful tool to improve the situation, but ever since we have had aggro meters on Xtar, tanks have used that information to call out when they are over burdened. I have on many occasions heard a call out "Tank has 5". This prompts an offtank with 1 or 2 mobs to peel 1 off that struggling tank, sharing the load. Actually, the information in the log, could make it easier for tanks to identify this issue, if the proper tool can be developed, because an overlay could identify that an offtank has 4 mobs, whereas currently from Xtar, the only person who knows that is the tank that has 100% on 5 mobs. This may not be a performance issue. Off tanks domino. The OPs suggestion could result in the other living off tanks that are actively tanking 1 mob, see that another off tank has 3, peel 1 off so its 2 each, before they die.
  5. Galvanize Elder

Tracking damage dealt to absorbs would be a nice quality of life metric. Runes/Melee Guards/Discs/Procs/
    ie
    Elemental hits Galv for 87 (285 Absorbed)
    Elemental hits Galv (500 absorbed).

Oh and zonewide parsing/combat logs in all raid instances/instances in general???
    fransisco likes this.
  6. Gindainy New Member

I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, but if it's feasible I think it would be a very nice feature.
  7. Byun Elder

I would love to see the number added to the end of the mob name for parsing reasons
  8. fransisco Augur

this is another great idea, being able to see how much damage something absorbs would be great.