Faction List

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Oakenblade, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

I think an in-game method to monitor factions would be ideal. An /outputfile would probably be the least time-intensive for devs and would achieve the same end for players.

Naturally these would probably be low priority, if a priority at all. I know dev time is a very very limited commodity, and the to-do list is probably very long.

This isn't a request. I'm not arrogant enough to think the game should be tailored around my ideas. I'm just interested to know what other folks think.
    Daedly likes this.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

This has come up many times and the sheer volume of factions is one of the biggest roadblocks. A year and a half ago, the number was approximately 1,900 factions.

I guess it might be nice but the factions mean so little in post-Velious EQ that I don't know what you would be using it for. Any hints?
  3. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

4. Kolani Augur

>I guess it might be nice but the factions mean so little in post-Velious EQ that I don't know what you would be using it for.

That's a little funny, considering the importance of various factions from prior expansions in the current expansion. I have to wonder if you're not keeping up.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have to agree that for factions affecting the last few expansions it would be nice to find a way to list them or output them to a txt file. Sadly there are probably a million other things that need attention first.
  6. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Having good faction in VP sure does help. Granted it wasn't exactly difficult or horribly time consuming to raise.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Incoming faction keyring monitor as next expansion "feature". 10 free ones and then you gotta pay for every 10 you want to monitor afterwards!
  8. Lianeb Augur

I don't see where Faction is required for any of the factions in the last two expansions other than making it easier and the one quest in FM that required it.

I did all of Veshan and Gorowyn with crappy faction
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

With about 1,900 factions, just listing them all would take, with about 50 lines per page, 38 pages to list them all. The strain on the game server to collect and list them would lag the game for everyone every time people asked for the list.

I assume that every time you zone, the game loads up your factions for just the factions in just that zone. It is likely one of the reasons zoning is not instant.

Now, something realistic would be to be able to get a list of the factions and your standing with them in the current zone you are in. That sounds like it could be done. But every faction? No, the game servers likely can not handle that load.
  10. Lianeb Augur

Probably be easier to just list your faction value in the xp message.
    +1 to whatever total is blah.
  11. Vanrau Augur

Ya put that in the faction standing message.

Your faction standing with factiongroup has been adjusted by +1 (current faction value here)
  12. Horyuken Augur

I think factions are one of those things that had really big hopes in early EQ and was never fully realized. They tried, but over time it really just became kos or not kos.

I would be interested to know if factions do add a measurable amount of time to loading new zones, if this is the case they should just scrap them since the gains don't really out weigh longer load times for the entire population.