Extremely low frame rates

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xanathol, May 1, 2019.

1. Xanathol Augur

One out of four computers experiences extreme lag even with all the graphical options turned down / off. I can load a character in the pick (the empty one) of the EC tunnels and still experience lag / low frame rates when facing the back of the tunnel cubby.

Software:
    OS == Windows 10 Pro
    No AV (defender is off as well) so nothing scanning files, etc

Hardware:
    i3 8100 quad core
    16 GB 3200 DDR4 ram
    nVidia 1050-Ti 4GB ram
    3TB SSD drive

I've tried:
    1.updating drivers, OS, etc
    2. putting in a new drive and launching from there
    3. turning off all graphics options (except new models) and lowering the clip plane to nothing

Two of the other machines that EQ runs fine on are much less beefy. I'm at a loss.

Ideas?
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

In options is (hw) Vertex Shaders unchecked? If it is, check it and restart the game.

Many players will uncheck (hw) Vertex Shaders. Do not, never do that one. hw = hardware. Unchecking it moves the processing of the VS from the GPU to being processed by software/CPU.

Post your machine's eqclient.ini. And might consider renaming that eqclient.ini and allow it to recreate itself.
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Graphics_and_performance_settings_guide

The above guide is a good one to keep. And changing the following allows EQ to span all available cores instead of being stuck only on one core.

CPUAffinity0=-1
    CPUAffinity1=-1
    CPUAffinity2=-1
    CPUAffinity3=-1
    Now the system. When was the last time the heatsinks were clear of dust buildup?

Also check computer Power settings. Change it to High Performance. This helps prevents cpu throttling (non-heat related) and core parking.

Nvidia control panel - Power Management Mode - set to Max Performance. Ensures your Nvidia card is being used all the time and not the built-in Intel GPU on the CPU.
  3. Xanathol Augur

Sigh... hardware vertex shaders strikes again. Thing is, I never disabled anything until I saw an issue, so no idea how that got turned off. Turning off, camping, relaunching and all is good in the world again.
  4. Xanathol Augur

Thanks for the tip Sarkaukar!
  5. Dafroo Journeyman

I've also noticed that the bigger your chat windows are, the worse your FPS becomes. I'm not sure why increasing the chat windows makes your game runs bad.