Extra mitigation for knights in the next patch

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Time Burner 2, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Time Burner 2 Augur

I know a knight who could molo most all the group content for tds when it was current.

I know knights seem to tank tbm raid bosses with little difficulty.

I'm wondering how much mitigation they would need to balance out with the relatively utility-less warrior.

I want opinions, because I play a war, not a knight. If it's not much different between the two, I may just flop to knight. Does anyone have numbers, or decent opinions on the matter?

Don't think I'm crying out for a knight nerf, I just want some ideas for which class to focus on going forward.
  2. Riou EQResource

Just like they tried to make healers basically equal 7 years ago, they seem to finally be doing this with Tanks too, DPS also gets this treatment. Tanks should be no different for the most part and should differ in flavor really.

What they need to add to Warriors (and semi-SK) to truly differentiate them in side roles, I don't know.

Every tank should be as demanded as Paladins are pretty much without being only option at anything.

If you play a Warrior as a box, they will still be the easiest to box tank, if you play Warrior as a main, stick with it if you like it, if you don't like it then re-rolling is a fine option. It's a game you pay for, don't pay and play something you don't like.
    Thancra likes this.
  3. Makavien Augur

Riou id pull 3 mobs with shaman /druid , I would pull 10 with a cleric , clerics are still the no contest best healer . And with druid shaman you have to kick someone from the group for symbol or surety everytime someone dies .
  4. Riou EQResource

Sounds like their design goals have failed and they need to buff druids and shaman further :D
  5. Makavien Augur

Thier design goals should be to keep everquest , everquest like the way its been for 16 years and the reason it still has a playerbase.

Knights only needed 10 - 15 % defensive proficiency and they absolutely in no way needed 2 hand proficiency .

To make up for it warriors now need 50 k self heals recastable every 5 seconds . and 20% more sustained dps.

And technically with the right stuff stacked they are stronger than a utility less warrior once this garbage patch goes live.
  6. Time Burner 2 Augur

I didn't think about the war's garbage dps compared to knights Makavien, thanks. Any other ideas out there?
  7. Piemastaj Augur

It's rough when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it?

Looks like it's your classes turn to lose some of it's niche. It's obviously better for the game that other classes get boosted to help compete and make the game overall more fair for everyone involved. I mean Warriors tell other classes this so I guess the complaints should not happen and you just take what you get because things need to change.
  8. Makavien Augur

Lol , really pie I worked with elidroth for 5 years to add this because of how stagnated we were during that time ? The shoe was already on the foot.
  9. Jaerlyn Augur

Unless you mean in comparison to a War with the right stuff stacked. In which case the War wins hands down.
  10. Time Burner 2 Augur

Shouldn't a tank that lacks utility be stronger than those with great utility? I don't get your point. I'm asking if/how much more a war "sustainably" tanks/mitigates compared to knight classes right now, and after the patch how much that will change. Does anyone know?

If there is not/will not be a tangible difference on a sustainable level, the war is a loser class, and I'll hop over to a raid boss tanking knight.
  11. sojero One hit wonder

No one really knows atm because some of the stuff looks like it may be broken. After that knights will be closer in mitigation, but equal geared /aa and you will still do fine as a warrior. If you want the solo/molo ability of a knight, then you choose the wrong class to start with, and maybe you should change as your wants/desires in game may have changed.

Play what you want to play, you still fill the same role. If that is not fun anymore because of jealousy then change. otherwise, you will still be fine doing what you want to do. Nothing is changing for warriors. No raid leader in their right mind is going to sit a warrior out, they just now have more options for when wars are not available. If someone isn't taking you in the group game either they are "special" or you have done something to offend them.

I don't know about any other servers, but on the Rathe, tanks are hard to find, so pretty much any group will take any tank that plays well enough to deserve a spot.
  12. Time Burner 2 Augur

I'm not really jealous, and I'm not sure I chose the wrong class to begin with. It's more that things are changing code wise, and heck, I may as well pick up a tank class with utility if they mitigate/tank the same. I get a lot of invites as a tank, so I'm not worried there - indeed tanks are kinda rare.

I'm more thinking, do you want a truck (with the same hauling capacity) with or without AC and a stereo? It's not jealousy, it's common sense.

Again, if knights now or post patch tank the same as a war, why not go knight?
  13. Jaerlyn Augur

That depends, actually. Many games offer strong, easy to play classes that are very focused on only doing one thing. And then they also offer classes that are stronger than the focused classes, but require more effort to get there. Simplicity is sometimes considered it's own strength.

It's not a right/wrong question. It's a design question. It is, however, how EQ was in it's original form. Wars took the quick, easy route. Knights took the much slower, harder route. Both ended up at pretty close to the same place in tanking, with knights gaining extra strength due to their complexity and heavier exp requirements.

Time have changed. Things aren't all how they used to be. No one denies that. Well, almost no one.
    But either way, the answer to your question is, quite frankly, no.

Unless design wants it to be. /shrug.
  14. Makavien Augur

Paladin with epic and armor up has 75% boost to all heals with their absorb discs + defensive 30% mitigation and shining defense are going to blow warriors away .

Sk with armor and their absorb discs and defensive proficiency up with their epic and shining defense are going to blow warriors away .

Plus they can heal themselves through the spikes.

Warriors with last stand dichotomic , warlords tenacity , first spire , coa bp , armor , sk epic , pain doesn't hurt (as long as the npc doesnt hit for 42 k after the mitigation) will still be ahead for 3 minutes .

Most knight disciplines are extended by aa so the only one i know of that is not extended is unholy/holy guardian.
  15. Jaerlyn Augur

The reason to go War isn't because of sustainability. It's because, at the end of the day, War 'oh crap' ability blows Knight 'oh crap' ability out of the water. It's not close. It's not even in the same ballpark.
  16. Makavien Augur

You mean flash of anger we told them to give you the same oh crap ability . Fortitude is a tactical ability not an oh crap ability same as deflection. Flash is both of ours oh crap ability.
  17. shadowgod Augur

Warriors still have flash of anger and the effectiveness of last stand + pain doesn't hurt is unmatched by anything a knight will get.
  18. Time Burner 2 Augur

I'm not quite tracking. You say no to my question that is present tense, yet appeal to wayyy back in the day rationale for this, unless I'm missing something. Today, knights have a bit more button mashing, but I can deal with that. Today, I'm wondering, why isn't this valid:

Shouldn't a tank that lacks utility be stronger than those with great utility (in today's game)?

Talking about how knights walked up hill 15 years ago (albeit with invis, fd, rez, actual taunts! Ok I'll stop...) doesn't seem to address my question. Perhaps I'm missing it.
  19. Time Burner 2 Augur

These things are interesting, but as I mentioned in this long thread, I am looking at sustainable tankage. Most raid tanks don't cry out for a swap after 3 minutes any more - it's too easy now. If knights can do the war job for them, may as well Heroic it and get some utility. If not, I'll stick with the brick.
  20. Time Burner 2 Augur

Yeah, but most raid tanks don't need to cry swap after 3 mins now if they have current gear, the bosses are too easy.

I'm seeking numbers on sustainable tanking/mitigation.

If a knight can rep a war in MTO now with no tangible difference, why not reroll herioc knight, I mean what's left?