Exp Question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by XTheMountainX, Aug 3, 2015.

1. XTheMountainX Journeyman

I recently started grouping a level 33 char with a level 50 char, but was wondering if anybody knew whether it would be better xp for the 33 if I were to kill lower level mobs (level 50 char gets minimal xp?) or higher level mobs (DB to 50).

Thanks!
  2. Berret Journeyman

Well, higher level mobs will of course give more experience. I would say it's better for you to kill level 50 mobs, even if doesn't really get to contribute to the fight in a meaningful way because he can't even hit it, because he'll get more experience that way.
  3. XTheMountainX Journeyman

What about killing grey cons with the 50, would the 33 get all the xp or still the same proportion that they would have if I was a LB con to the 50?
  4. Batbener Augur

Not sure on the actual numbers, but I seem to do better leveling the lower character by blowing through gray, green and light blue cons on the 50.
  5. Sebbina Augur

If you want to mostly boost the 33, kill many mobs that are in the yellow or close red to 33 as in 34- 40, if you don't care about Powering the 33 faster, then kill what you want. Characters get XP based on the level the mobs is to them, once AA are available the AAXP is based off of the value to the highest level in the group, so you power XP first then AA. Of course once the 33 gets to 40, you would want to start killing mobs 41+ and so on, and depending on what class they are, will determine how much help they will be able to provide, if any.
  6. Raelsmar Lorekeeper

I've been curious about this as well and didn't know if anyone had done some experiments or crunched some numbers to see what worked best. I have friends who don't play as much as me that have trouble keeping up with me, to the point where I've made alts to give them time to catch up.

I can still group with my friends, since they are green/light blue to me, but again was wondering the same if it would be better to group with them and kill stuff that is yellow/red to them, but light blue/dark blue to me that I could kill quickly or kill stuff that is deep red to them and white/yellow to me (if possible) which would obviously take longer per kill, but potentially yield much more exp.

I just wasn't sure if there was something in the way exp was split when there is a big discrepancy between the highest level and the lowest level in a group that might make one way preferable to the other when it comes to efficiency.
  7. Raelsmar Lorekeeper

Batbener and Sebbina hadn't posted yet before I started my post/question. That seems like a pretty good consensus then though, to stick to stuff that is yellow/red to the lower level, but gray/green/light blue to the higher level.

It kind of also answered a follow-up question I had was if I killed stuff that was gray to me, but that still conned at least green to my friends, if they would still get full exp for the kill or if there is some code in game that reduces the amount of exp a mob yields if it is gray to at least one person in the group.
  8. Arya1 Lorekeeper

No, you cannot kill mobs that are grey to the lvl 50 and get xp. They have to be at least green to the level 50.
    Raelsmar likes this.
  9. Raelsmar Lorekeeper

Thanks for the info Arya. I couldn't remember if a mob being grey to someone in the group meant no one got exp for it, or if it possibly reduced the amount of exp that was gained. I thought I remembered that if it was grey, no one got exp, but wasn't sure if SoE/DBG had changed the way that worked, since the last time I played before these servers.
  10. Croak Augur

The mob can be grey to the lv50 but then it will only be blue to the lv33

There is also some balancing of exp awarded between toons but it doesn't matter and would be really hard to prove. If you can plow through many times more mobs killing stuff that is green/light blue to the lv50 then that is the way to go.

p.s. grey doesn't work with toons offline using fellowships, but that doesn't apply to the most recent TLP servers.
    Raelsmar likes this.