EXP Nerf

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ojier, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ojier Lorekeeper

I just read in the patch notes that DB is nerfing the exp bonus Halflings enjoyed.

Why, after 20 years, is something like this done? Why do you think I made a Halfling to start with?

In short, this is a nerf, not an improvement. The more you continue doing things like this, the more of the player base you will lose.
    FaloverC likes this.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's all about the TLP servers coming up. The live servers get xp so fast, it's not even noticeable anymore.
    Pirlo, Tarvas, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  3. Betamax New Member

lol come on man, its not that big of a deal. 99% of the people probably didn't know that iksar had a negative penalty. people are not going to quit over it.
    Nolrog, Dark_Pheonix and Pirlo like this.
  4. Bobokin Augur

That experience bonus was supposed to go to humans, and it should have been added to humans long ago even if they kept it for furry footers.

The rogue and warrior small bonus was there because the experience penalty for hybrid classes was removed. So ... when do warriors and rogues get some utility spells to make up for this?
    Ruinedmyownlands likes this.
  5. Morthakia Augur

Can’t totally tell if you’re joking. Experience has become an absolute commodity. Gaining experience is nothing like it used to be. How long did it take people to max out the new AAs from TBL? A day?

Meanwhile, the unique utility that used to be held by certain classes has long been commoditized. Wiz/Druid ports were commoditized with the introduction of PoK, plus guild halls, plus Wayfayers camps, plus fellowship tokens, plus port tokens questable in game or bought with expansions. Heck, doing TBL progression results in a wishing lamp that essentially takes you to every zone in the game, which is lightyears BETTER than the wizard teleport to Esianti.

Invis potions enabled once handicapped warriors to maneuver through most zones.

Cleric/Pally rez was given to the other priests (and necros) and then handed out on demand!

Necro summon corpse was commoditized by corpse summoners in the guild lobby.

Ogre’s frontal stun immunity was given out via AA.

I could probably go on for multiple pages. No recompense is due to Halflings/Rogues/Warriors or whatever.
  6. Ruinedmyownlands Elder

Don't forget they took rogues escape ability and gave it to everyone.
  7. Bobokin Augur

They also removed locked doors, locked chests, and traps. It is selective thinking.

This was not broke, so why fix it? I hope this wasn't just for balance in the new TLP servers. Unless those servers are realm vs realm vs realm, who cares if furry feet get a bonus?
    FaloverC likes this.
  8. MarttinPH Augur

I am

Other priests eventually got a rez (for 90% outside of battle), but I would argue that thematically Necromancer rez has a strong roleplaying element as well has been a class defining attribute since Ruins of Kunark. It also requires an essence emerald with requires a player sacrifice in experience to create. The ability to create essence emeralds as a random proc isn't added to much later in the game.

Without a need to retrieve corpes to get loot, CR are mainly used to get experience rezes.

I haven't played TBL at all, (and probably won't) but what is the lamp that you are talking about called? I found a lamp on allakahkazam that says it teleports to TBL zones, but I didn't see any that take you to "any in the game", did you mean most zones in the TBL expansion?

I am not familiar with how other classes get an escape ability. I know that beastlords recieved a FD, and shamans get an odd totem ability eventually. Necromancers/SK/Bard/Rogue/Druid/Wizard all get some way to "escape" but how did the other classes get the escape ability? I am not trying to be an antagonist, I honestly am curious.
  9. Bobokin Augur

Once they get the spells, rangers have a better avoid, break, and escape ability than rogues.

I guess all warriors and rogues will be in Hufflepuff guilds now.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Do you need a nice sturdy umbrella to keep the pieces of the sky from hitting your head?

This is such a tiny change with miniscule impact. There's no reason for all this noise about it. Class/race experience bonuses are antiquated, at best. They add no tangible benefit to the game.
    Smokezz, Morby and Pirlo like this.
  11. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

Lets see, remove bonus xp from 1 race vs 15 others. Sound unfair to 15 other races.

That sounds like an improvement to me. Also, the original reason for the xp bonus was cause no one wanted to play furry feeted. Or so I was told....
  12. Bobokin Augur

It was supposed to go to humans as their race benefit. Humans didn't get the innate skills and character creation bonuses that other races, including halflings got. There was an error, and Verant never changed it once it was in the game.

Long ago, it should have been given to humans. The community didn't want to take it from halflings after the fact, but humans should have been granted their original racial benefit.

And no, the sky isn't falling, but why do these nerfs after 20 years?
    FaloverC likes this.
  13. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

There are still locked places in EQ. Some were opened, yes. The selective thinking is: Is this now a burden to players compared to expansions past? And yes, it is! Trying to find a rogue to pick lock (who isn't doing something else) is like pulling teeth.

I saw a guy in general the other day looking for rogue for 5 hours. So I loaded up my rogue and went and helped him. Maybe they should just make it so any class can lockpick...as an AA above 85?
  14. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

He is taking about the AA that has many names but basically ports you nearby but Randomly! Oh, hang on, let me hit this and BOOM...pull 4 more mobs! Cause that's exactly what happened to me. And I think you actually have to make the choice to purchase it unless you use auto grant. I've used it once.
  15. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

Because it is unfair to 15 other races? It made sense way back the day but now? What was once a positive is now a negative. Like crutches. Once the injury is healed, you let them go....
  16. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

Beaver D straight! How do I get this man a shield?
  17. Ruinedmyownlands Elder

As a rogue I don't mind if they make our experience equal to everyone else. If we just get a little less experience that's fine, I read that some people on test were logging in and had chunks of experience taken away and that scares me.
    I don't want to see experience taken away but I would be happy if it was equal from now on.
  18. Jandor New Member

Okay, I have a little question. Remove the bonus that warriors, rogues, and halflings received? What about the penalties for races like ogres, barbarians, iksars,, trolls, and various assorted classes.?
  19. Horyuken Augur

It's all the same, = , no different, equal, fair.
  20. Bobokin Augur

Well, I guess warriors, rogues, monks, and zerkers should all cast spells now.

We can give wizards tanking pets too.

All the same = no different, equal, fair.