Exp changes on Phinigel at Gates? @Devs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Machentoo, May 17, 2017.

1. Rhodz Augur

[IMG]

You have gotten better at begging!
  2. SlickRick New Member

Bad news in my opinion. Isn't this something we voted on? It seems just about right to me right now.
  3. Superdeath Lorekeeper

no? the exp is plenty slow enough atm, it does need to go up if we want to continue to have a good population on Phinny.
  4. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

With the addition of AA's plus level increasing expansions, the curve to level a character to catch up to the majority of players gets steeper and steeper as you go through the expansions. Experience increases will be needed for players to catch up.

Also who is ready on Phinigel for some Lesson of the Devoted when Gates releases?
    Machentoo likes this.
  5. Chaosflux Augur

I can respect your masochistic feelings, but completely disagree.

Doesn't Autogrant start with Gates or is that DODH?
  6. Z E L R O T H New Member

I'm a fan of the steep experience curve, it's in the DNA of Everquest. It's like fast-travel, we all inherently like being quick at our destination and want it, but in MMO's in particular like Everquest it takes out all sense of scale and exploration. Its one of the things we want to have but should not have, for our own good.

The slow XP creates that typical urge to do better I've uniquely seen at its highest only in Everquest. Yes grab that chanter quick so he can charm and increase DPS, MORE XP. Omg grab that second HS ranger now. If everything goes super fast, you take away the drive and reduce the sense of accomplishment. Don't make the mistake of modern MMORPG's and mainstream the hell out of it. Part of the slowdown in popularity started at PoP and did go further downhill with later expansions.

But having said all of this, I do see the problem of catching up. And around GoD this becomes problematic to roll a new toon and get it ready to chime in in the guild. And it will only get worse, I do not have the solution for it. In think this is part of the Agnarr appeal, the feeling that you will get there on your own terms and not this seemingly everlasting catchup. However once at the end, there a new problem of seen-that-done-that will be introduced on Agnarr.
  7. Dilf Augur

Whether or not people want to accept it, Phinigel is going to see some serious guild attrition, and it won't be related to a certain expansion. It's natural for people to leave the game or want to swap mains, but the exp penalties combined with short expansion releases will turn away players because they can't catch up.

People are quick to say that grouping or finding groups on Phinigel is ultra easy and that you should be 65 in a week, which is completely false. The 40s and 50s ranges for LFG are extremely bare, which leads people to try soloing and then give up because the exp rate sucks.

This has been hashed out a million times before, but it's going to reach critical mass soon. It's frustrating for me is that I can log off Phinny and go to Ragefire, and get more exp solo in 20 minutes killing light blues than I can on Phinny in over an hour killing blues and whites.
  8. Rhodz Augur

Yeah see many of us have explored this game to hell and back and really have grown past the stage of needing a nanny where having things done for our own good just pisses us off.
  9. Gemini Syringes Augur

ITT: Snarky people insisting there won't be an experience increase followed by a SCM announcement of an experience increase.

:)

The good news for you folks that reach climax by explaining how awesome you are for leveling incredibly slow, the experience increase will likely be very small, so there's something for everyone.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Phini will continue to have slower exp rates than other servers, but it will also see exp increases similar to where the game saw exp increases the first time around.
  11. Coppercoz Augur

I'd be happy if Gloomingdeep got a massive xp bonus so it is at least somewhat tuned. Having to grind in there is incredibly boring, but still more efficient than going elsewhere. Besides, level 1-10 is just brutally slow.
  12. NeonTribez Journeyman

This whole thread is why I didnt get 600+ aa's on Phinny. Population will crash, later expansions give better exp zones. Exp might change. Then you grind. I feel sorry for the people who have 600 aa's on phinny. they are the ones who are gonna say "Naw keep exp the same" and playerbase will be super low.
  13. Kiaro Augur

I hope the increase is substantial in the 1 - 50 range, once your at that point it becomes considerably easier to level, I understand "classic for the purpose of classic" but I want to see the server last a long time rather than attrition down to Vulak levels of players because a stubborn few want to stamp their feet and go "BUT THATS NOT CLASSIC"