EVIL RoF group mission findings

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kurayami, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Kurayami Augur

So been looking at getting the achievement, Paragon of Rain of Fear for the aug, info at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6201 . However I have been discovering there are quite a few quite awful and horrible missions to deal with. I have managed to beat The Queen's Decree and Defeat Zeixshi-Kar, so thought I'd share my findings with you on those, maybe get some opinions on Heart of the Oak while we are at it.

The Queen's Decree: I did a brief run-down of what I found to work best at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6095 . Ideal group will be no boxes/mercs, TANK/TANK/HEALER/HEALER/ENCHANTER/DPS. It is possible to burn the queen down as hard as you can to spawn adds and clear them after you wipe, but is a real trick to pulling them. We won with SHD (me)/PAL/CLR/ROG/ENC + Healer Merc (one cleric had to leave halfway through after lockout). Should be noted we had to swap the healer merc out around 40-50 % of queen's life for a fresh one though.

Defeat Zeixshi-Kar: Ideal group setup here is TANK/HEAL/HEAL/DPS/DPS/DPS. I personally won with SHD/CLR/SHM/MNK/RNG/WIZ. You will want some way of slowing Zeixshi-Kar in that lineup, as his 29k hits aren't manageable otherwise. We set up on the hill since it was the safest spot in the zone. Pulling is a real pain in the butt, but I figured out the trick to doing it. Nothing in the zone sees invis, although special effects occuring inside the zone will break it fairly often. For pulling, what you will want to do is get fairly close to a mob a bit distant from most the pack while invisible, drop invis, and let him agro you and back away towards the group. The trick to not getting summoned here is to not to be too far away from the mob while pulling it, the distance is what causes the summon. I suspect the same guy who design Xolok the Blind designed this wonderful mission. Don't cast anything on them either, that will trigger mass agro/summoning/hysteria. If you can get at least most the adds down before Zeixshi Kar goes active here, you can still win (only 6-8 remaining or whichever).

Zeixshi Kar goes active, and typically enjoys summoning the tank or cleric to himself and causes the entire group to get wiped out as well. If you only had a few adds left at this point and have a true FD class like a monk, shd, or nec who knows what they are doing, you can still recover here. What you need to do is drag Zeixshi Kar over to a side wall and leave him there. Much easier said than done as he likes to summon if you get too far away, often AEs to break FD/invis, and has a huge agro radius. He does not actually see invis though. From there you can ress group/rebuff on opposite side of Zeixshi Kar, and slowly try to clear any adds you left up using the technique mentioned above.

Contrary to what anyone tells you, Zeixshi Kar does NOT power up while left up, he is just a heavy hitter to begin with at around 29k, and he also happens to have 40 millionish HPs, and he also happens to have an insanely nasty rear effect, and he just happens to freeze people in crystals too. He will not freeze the main tank, I tanked him 8-10 minutes, never got frozen, cleric sure did though. As long as your dps is on their game, keeps crystals broken, both healers can keep tank up alone as one healer might get frozen, this is beatable, although was made FAR too difficult in my opinion. I honestly believe PAL/SHD have a real advantage tanking here compared to wars, I had to patch heal myself a lot when my cleric kept getting frozen.

Anyways, that is the information I know on these two horribly hard/despicable events, which I did in fact get a win on. Anyone very skilled with Heart of the Oak? Love to hear more about that one :)
  2. CaptAmazing Augur

I've been complaining of the difficulty of these missions for a bit now. Glad to see you got them done. You've done the Chapterhouse missions?. I've not tried them but hear they are as difficult as the others mentioned here.
  3. Kurayami Augur

Haven't attempted those yet no, trying to get Evantil done first as it sounds the most painful. I'm not really looking to complain here or get them adjusted, I'm mostly hoping to get more information on tested and proven strategies to get through these.
  4. Vtull Augur

He does indeed crystallize the MT. Had it happen multiple times on two seperate instances. One time shortly after engaging and multiple times during an extended tanking period.
  5. roguerunner Augur

Chapterhouse is tough, but only via mechanics. Though I do think the dot's that Marnek does need to be toned down for grouper level, they are way too painful even for raid geared.

For evantil, if you learn the mechanics for part 1 and have a CC class for part 2, should be cake.

For Grelleth, it is possible to win with a merc tank as the only tank ;)
  6. Gladare Augur

He'll freeze the MT if the MT is the only person in zone or if he's not at the top of the hate list. If a pet has more hate than your MT, your MT will be frozen.

To CaptAmazing, I haven't had any issues with CH 1. Seems like a fairly straight forward event. Kill fast enough to stay ahead of Taros. For the groups of mobs, focus on the insects first since they have low hp. The named only has one emote. It flashes on your screen which makes it easy to follow. For CH 2, once you learn the event it's not so bad. Wraiths spawn at 94, 84, 74, 64, 54, 44, 34, 24, 14, and 10. Important to have your shrouder ready for them. They should already be shrouded before the wraith spawns. This involves your group having enough dps to kill the skeleton add from shrouding as well as dropping Marnek fast enough to leave enough time in shroud to kill the wraith. Depending on your skill and gear, you could use 1 tank and 2 healers or 1 tank 1 healer and an extra dps. Positioning near the south pool doorway helps for removing the dot quickly. The shrouder needs to be standing in the doorway ready to jump and deshroud any time Marnek is about to switch back to human form.
  7. Uxtalzon Augur

Tried Run You Fools! the other day, and we got creamed so hard. There was nothing we could do to outpace Taros because our DPS simply couldn't be sustained (3 DPS classes, two paladins and a cleric, you'd think our "bane to undead" BS would've been beneficial). I feel like I'm going to be waiting a long time to finish that mission, because for every non-dps class that joins, chances of staying ahead of Taros goes way way down.
  8. Tobynn Augur

Yup, can confirm this. I spent the full six hour instance duration trying to 3box this, and wiping, and my warrior was indeed hit with crystal while tanking the meanie.
  9. Gladare Augur

Last time I ran the event we used paladin, cleric, shaman, rogue, mage, and beast. Stayed well ahead of Taros. If it's close you can have your tank pull all the mobs to the next blocked wall before you start killing them.
  10. Talif Augur

With three DPS classes, you shouldn't have any adds up in EW when the dragon goes live. Did it with two DPS (wizard and monk) and had zero issue keeping up. To be fair, we're raid geared (but none of us used any burn discs during the adds, one of us could have handled it alone if we had been willing to push), but the addition of an extra DPS class should make up for that if your group mates are properly geared/AA'd and know how to maximize their damage. It's definitely a gear/AA check event though. Having a bard or chanter for this run is HUGE if you're having DPS/add issues. Being able to turn the mobs to your side with charm is important.
  11. Naugrin Augur

Tried this once, healer lagged and it was all over....did it again n was fine. Then did it for someone else a couple nights later....had a chanter, wow that trivialized it. We only had 2 dps classes iirc me and a necro. Raid geared though.
  12. Naugrin Augur

The queens decree is my least favorite mission in the expansion.....funny I rather enjoy the raid.
  13. Naugrin Augur

Actually I lied, had a mage too.....pally, cleric, chanter, necro, wiz, mage.
  14. Talif Augur

Having three of the highest burst DPS classes in raid gear and saying a mission geared towards burning is easy is kinda obvious...
  15. Gladare Augur

I'm sure skilled, group geared wiz, necro, and mage would make the mission extremely easy as well.
  16. Naugrin Augur

I wouldn't call necro a top burst class but /shrug. Group geared party of the same make up would do just fine I'm sure. My point was not to say "shut up it's easy." My point was to provide a group make up that I thought worked extremely well. The chanter REALLY helped. When we did it with no chanter, wiz ae stun on the nasty clusters helped. Most of the trash mobs have low hps, and the ones that don't are the ones that are single iirc.
  17. Naugrin Augur

Oh and we didn't use any burn stuff on the trash, saved it for the boss.
  18. Talif Augur

Ah, that's a lot clearer.
  19. Kurayami Augur

Resurrecting this thread as I have beaten my head against a wall for far too long, seeking a little advice here. That wall being Xorbb 3(The Return of King Xorbb). It is the only RoF mission left I haven't beaten now. Tried it for the better part of 5 hours last night, we got fairly skilled at dealing with King Xorbb reappearing, getting adds controlled quickly, killing his special adds along the way, dealing with the charm emote/beam emote messages, but couldn't for the life of us figure the mirrors out right after the adds.

We tried having 1 person in front of the mirror w/ Xorbb, we tried 2 in front of the mirror w/ Xorbb, we tried 1 in front of the Xorbb mirror and 1 person at the mirror Xorbb was looking at, none of it seemed to break the shield regularly, we had maybe a 20 % success rate breaking it. Looking for very specific information here on what we are doing wrong, as I feel an Xorbb 3 win is imminent after I know how to deal with mirrors properly. Especially considering we kept getting him to 25 % with pure CASTER dps with a shield that was almost always on... Any help greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

P.S. I tried the info from Alla, but it is either incorrect or I am not reading it properly.
  20. CaptAmazing Augur

4 of us stood in front of the mirror and clicked each time. The healers stayed back in the middle. After clicking we stayed in front till after it went off.