Everquests 25th expansion a major milestone!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Feb 15, 2018.

1. CrazyLarth Augur

Would love to know what is behind that underwater Giant Wall/Door in
    Gulf of Gunthak. New zone or raid?
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

For the 25th Anniversary, I wonder if we could see a epic-like trade skill recipe such as a Chariot mount.

This recipe could follow the model of the Gnomework Survival Suit (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=77870) where each section needs to be crafted individually. In other words, the Chariot mount would require blacksmithing, tailoring, jewel crafting, and sub-combines requiring other trade skills
    [IMG]
  3. fransisco Augur

Pretty sure this has been said for every expansion since Gates
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

New expansion comes out with 45 slot bags tokens that you can buy in the marketplace but need to be combined with a no drop item for sale off of vendors in the new expansion. Downside no matter how large the print is people will buy it then cry about not having the new expansion. Upside you can get multiple bags but still need the new expansion to get them. Bags get taken out of marketplace next expansion to be replaced by a new set of bags. The idea being you need to buy the current expansion to ever get the bags. Simply waiting till the expansion is free won't do it.

Buying the 20th expansion also gives you 2000 daybreak cast to spend in the marketplace.

20th expansion has a vendor in the new expansion that sells augment distillers that work on any aug except aug except for the ones that need perfectd aug distillers.

New expansion gives a new mount to everyone.

New expansion reintroduces veteran rewards. Marketplace sells veteran reward unlockers for an ungodly price. (in theory paying for the dev time making new veteran rewards.

New expansion adds a House Bank for sale in the marketplace (maybe a nice safe or vault graphic) similar to a guild bank but for persona use in a house).

There are all sorts of things that could be made available in the marketplace for sale but ONLY if you have the new expansion. If they are useful items this could encourage expansion sales and since they still have to be bought in the marketplace it would pay for the dev design costs. Downside a lot of people will cry about this I suspect. My own personal feeling is anything we can do to encourage expansion sales will ensure we keep getting expansions.
  5. Fohpo Augur

I thought that a few since Gates have been pretty good, but yeah it definitely seems like a lot more vocal minority on the forums since Gates. I think some of that just tends to be how brutal Gates was and an echo chamber effect.
  6. Helena New Member

It would be nice if the new expansion let you catch fish with stats like other stat food. But maybe they are no drop and need a high fishing skill.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That would make fishing a bit more exciting :)
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I want an expansion with multiple entry points, but with a strong theme; such as a 'Rage of the Orcs' expansion with an expanded high level Crushbone on Faydwer, a Shralok fortress off Highpass, a Deathfist citadel off the Commonlands, Rujarkin in Desert of Ro, a Bloodmoon expansion, a new Ry'Gorr fortress in Velious, a Deep Orc zone, etc. Add in slaves, pets, etc. for a better variety of targets not just Orcs.
  9. Zamiam Augur

I want 1 last big expansion like VoA or RoF was .. if you have time you can put raids in there for the raiders but not important if you dont have the time :p

lots of quests for illusions and TS'ers .. not locked behind any progression , but its there if you want to do it..

No lvl increase but more aa's .. and how bout returning veteran rewards ..

I can think of a few that would be nice.. the last one we got was blessing of the devoted which decreased all timers by 25% .. how bout the next one decrease by another 25% :p and/or an increase from a 30min LoTD to an 45min/hour

whilel im writing this book might as well ask again for anything that is /claim(able) be heirloomable pls for example ( cresent reach clicky, brell's clicky, that darn dragon illusion(that is still sitting in claim cause i switch toons so much I dont want to claim it then not be able to use it when/if i switch toons again)

any xp potions we /claim or purchase thru the marketplace should be heirloomable.. DB is the one loosing money on those cause I no longer buy the ones in marketplace i take the 3 free ones every month from the 500 free DBC and those are HEIRLOOM .. ive got a stockpile of those..

also im just curious why BL's dont have tracking ? I mean we are Lord of the Beasts we should have a limited tracking ability .. you gave everyone forage ..
  10. Samatman Augur

I haven't bought an expansion since Ykesha that wasn't a pity buy to support this game. Maybe you should rethink your rabid support and wonder if maybe you could get real content like TSS for your $35
  11. Turinbar Augur

Entire game needs an overhaul. EQ will not survive another 10 years without a modern graphics engine and UI refresh. The software code and tools used to keep this game going are ancient compared to what exists today. I hope Columbus Nova greenlights some major investment in the game in the coming years to get new players.
    Caell likes this.
  12. Zamiam Augur

lol go back to your coloring books.. EQ has been around for coming up on 19 years another 10 is a piece of cake
  13. Aurastrider Augur

I would argue that an overhaul of graphics might get rid of current players or at least cut down the number of subscriptions that some players currently have. If the graphics of this game was such that it required a high end gaming pc or severely limited performance for those who box you would certainly see less subs. So you have to ask yourself how would a revamp actually make more money? Assuming there was advanced graphics settings to offset this for these people there is still the issue of actually recruiting new people to the game and this is an issue I would rather see time and resources devoted to rather than trying to make the game look like every other game on the market.

Where EQ shines is the pure amount of content within it and the multitude of different things to do within the game. There are enough quests alone to keep someone busy for years. Some people enjoy the economic side of EQ which can be rewarding and challenging at times. Crafting, housing (although limited there has been some amazing creations made), exploration and the list goes on and on. I for one value game play over graphics which is why I still enjoy going back and playing the original legend of Zelda and older games like this from time to time. Maybe the new generation of gamers only cares about flashy this and that but as a long time gamer I will take fun over fashion any day.
  14. fransisco Augur

wow lol.
    If you hate this game so much, why are you here? Why do you care?
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think at this point what the new expansion will be as far as content is already locked down. Pretty sure Daybreak already knows what content the expansion will be based on. While I appreciate posts about what content people want to see developed I think we are past that point now.

It would be really nice if a Dev posted and gave us an idea of the life cycle of a new expansion. From when ideas start getting discusssed to when they lock in what the content will be and start working on it.
  16. Caell Augur

I don't want to see an overhaul of the graphical style (don't even mess with the art assets, no point and they don't have the time/money/manpower to change them anyways), but a new graphics engine that was truly optimized for current day PC's (read truly multi-core capable) would possibly be less impacting on players systems. It's pretty clear this engine is not the most efficient (shadows are fully CPU side rendered, and even on new PC's drag down the frame-rate.)

• Existing art rendered with some of the newer effects that are available in video cards today would be awesome.
    • better lighting effects (I don't even run with Use Advanced Lighting, or Enable Bloom Lighting turned on due to the uneven nature of how these options are implemented across older and newer zones)
    • shadows
    • better particle effects
    • better UI scaling for UHD monitors
    • a more approachable UI for new players (try logging in as a new player on a new install, and witness the disorganized mess of a UI you are greeted with, how does that gain and keep new players?)
    • Capes (EQ2 has them)
    These are some of the things that would improve and prettify the game without changing "the look" of the game.

tl;dr Graphics sell new people on trying the game; the content will keep them. And honestly I have a Nvidia GTX 970 and a AMD FX-8350, this game should have astronomical fps or look much better, than it does on my system, especially with the old art assets.
  17. Gelroos New Member

I had planned to post a new topic, but this seems a perfect place to voice a couple ideas:

--Persistent Pet Illusions:

1. Easiest way would be an AA. Simple.

2. Use type 3, 5, 7 or 8 augment (maybe type 21?). This might annoy some people, but I summon a pet with an older EM20 raid earring, then switch to RoS earring for stats. I imagine multiple augment versions for different illusions, so you could personalize your pet.

3. New expansion pet earrings would have illusion built in, similar to current raid earrings (at least how it currently works for necro). Each group, trade skill, and raid (and possibly trade skilled raid?) EM earring would have multiple illusion options. You would switch and choose similar to how the Zueria Slide charm changes (from last years anniversary mission Tsaph's Day Off). This could add a half dozen or so pet illusion options, depending on which EM earring you wear.

-- Multiple Mercenary gear slots:

Add additional gear slots on the merc tab within the inventory window to put gear specific to each merc type. This could be a feature of the expansion, an AA, or unlocked as you unlock extra mercenary slots. I would like my cleric to have healer gear, warrior to have tank gear, dps caster to have wizard gear, and melee dps to have rogue gear. The current 4 slots can be the 'default' until the specific slots are filled.
    Caell likes this.
  18. Angahran Augur

One thing, and I have been saying this for at least 10 years.
    ADVERTISE the game!
    People keep whining and moaning about 'how do we get new players'.
    If DBG would actually advertise the fact that the game is still here then maybe they would get real new players.
    (By new players I don't mean those who resubscribe after a time because DBG sent an email to their 'lapsed subscribers' list.)

It shouldn't be that difficult to get some advertising for a new expansion onto some gaming websites.
    Even a TV slot, heck WoW had a MOVIE!!
    EQ can't even get a poster in a local gamestop.
    Caell likes this.
  19. Zamiam Augur

I dont believe EQ has ever advertised much even when it first came out .. I mean sure they prolly had posters and the physical box'd expansion on the shelves but I dont recall any commercials. my brother told me about the game 19 years ago and got me addicted , have not talked to him since.. :p
    Daedly likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Seem to recall at some point it getting advertised in theatres or maybe that was eq2.