Everquest VR

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shattered_dream, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shattered_dream Journeyman

(The email is correct, .co NOT .com)
  2. Geroblue Augur

Needs a full immersion vr suit.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think the forum title is based on number of posts made, not duration of membership. If you've rarely made posts, that's the reason for still being shown as a new member.
  4. shattered_dream Journeyman

Yeah, I know, just think it's funny is all.
    Not sure I am up to starting on North Qeynos or if I should try to at least add guards roaming. I have voice activation working, so I can set it up if you say HAIL the NPC can respond.....and of course using the old reach out and click can be made to work as well.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Pardon my ignorance, but are full immersion VR suits possible today. If so, how far do they go in realism? I am not think of actual decapitations or limbs lost of course, but how intensely would you feel the blow of a weapons strike or the pain of an arrow impact? It is an intriguing idea for me and could, I suppose, offer some exercise benefits. Time to research the idea.
  6. shattered_dream Journeyman

Not really affordable but yes, many different ones out there.
    https://www.bhaptics.com/tactsuit/

http://www.hardlightvr.com
    Would be interesting to say the least. But let's face it, fist thing someone would load up would not be a game! Hahaha
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Fascinating. I do wonder if VR could be the future of immersive gaming. In any case, it is fun to think about.
  8. flash000 Augur

i can just imagine having to do hand motion patterns to trigger spells ....

i can think of some funny ones to kill stuff if you can set your own...
  9. shattered_dream Journeyman

Yes, I make them 1 handed, 2 handed whatever.
    I had in mind a staff for the larger damage spells, point it at the creature and the other hand makes the motion so the spell would form and fire from the tip of the staff.
    For buffs maybe a wand.
    EDIT:
    And yes, I can set any motion I want to do what I want. Could even throw in voice spells too since we have recognition working, but this needs cortana running to work.
  10. shattered_dream Journeyman

Well it has been awhile, (not trying to bump and old thread, this is a valid update!) but I am 'breaking ground' on North Qeynos this weekend.
    So for anyone that liked this there will be more in the future! Also am going to try to add animations to the guards and patrol routes now that I have a functioning full featured AI that will react to players and objects etc...
  11. Scorrpio Augur

Some folks apparently got EQ working on Oculus Rift usuing VorpX.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/5188tw/everquest_in_3d_on_oculus_rift/

I do have Rift, and very much enjoy playing games like Skyrim VR in it. Thing is control system is fairly limited. Might work at basic level EQ, but in high level where I got like 5 hotbars of AAs, it would be extremely cumbersome. Think of it this way - would you be able to pkay EQ with a gamepad?
  12. Nifty Slacker Augur

You could probably play eq with a gamepad, but it would be limited for sure. But on the other hand, being able to cycle through active hotbars of 8 abilities, and mapping those 8 abilities to 2x gamepad button combinations... It would be doable. A good example I think is FFXIV. That has decent gamepad support, I always used a keyboard mouse though.
  13. MysticOne Augur

Music would help and a chain saw.
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.
  14. Cadira Augur

So is this downloadable from steam or just a personal project atm? I have a vive and would be cool to check out one day!
  15. Alarya Augur

This is great! Keep up the great work!
  16. shattered_dream Journeyman

Personal project at the moment. I am not sure i could release without getting into trouble since EQ still makes them a bit of money. Once I get a full city complete I might try to release it as free with a patreon since this takes a lot of time and effort to make. I do have a day job and almost finished with my B.S. in game design plus a 3yr old at home....makes it tough to spend as much time as I want on it. I have gotten some help now to make the next level, but she has never played EQ.
    Cadira likes this.
  17. shattered_dream Journeyman

No chainsaw but there is music in both the taverns. no actual just ambient music yet.
  18. shattered_dream Journeyman

Well I think I mentioned, spells and the like I would prefer to actually make the patterns to cast, but it is possible to make a sort of hot bar and select from that. so maybe make a list of spells for that 'sigil' and then wave your arms however in the air to cast that one.
  19. momentumAB New Member

I would definitely play EQ with a gamepad, already binding multiple keys to one button.
  20. Xinglong New Member

^^ This. I would definitely pay money for a release on SteamVR. I bet Day Break could make a quick conversion for Unity from the old files in a week or two, then tweak it to make it "friendly" with VR controllers with just a few weeks of development.

Start with EQ original, see how it goes, and release the expansions every 6 months or so. Put out some press releases each expansion and, voila, you got yourself a multi-million dollar profit maker with minimal investment. There is so much nostalgia for this game. I quit years ago due to the constant raised level caps and over powered skills kinda killing it. Sort of fizzled out after Omens of War, though I did return, but just couldn't get back into it. But I'd come back for something like this.

Could probably compete with Skyrim VR for downloads.
    Lisard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.