EverQuest Trivia #701

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Whoops, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Grove Augur

Rotten Fish?
    Whoops likes this.
  2. Verily Tjark Augur

Might this NPC's name be a female version of William?
    Whoops likes this.
  3. Whoops Augur

No.

Yes!

Edit: Assuming you mean the quest giver, not the dude with a dong
  4. Grove Augur

Boiron's Standard?
    Whoops likes this.
  5. Whoops Augur

No.
  6. Mary Poppins Augur

Is the dude with the dong a sick as MF’er who reaches into his pants and whips out something long, skinny, and hard if you give him drugs?
    Whoops likes this.
  7. Whoops Augur

Rofl, yes, yes he is!
  8. Grove Augur

New Sewing Needles? (However, the icon for this item looks to be short. blunt and brown.)
    Mary Poppins and Whoops like this.
  9. Mary Poppins Augur

Looks can be deceiving. The needles (plural) come in a pack - that’s what the icon shows. The individual needles themselves are “long”... at least in comparison to their girth.

Plus Verily is a gnome. So by his standards, it would be long or irregardless of shaft size.

Congratulations on winning the game. As long as it’s not Verily doing the winning, it’s all good. (Even though I know you two are working together)
    Whoops likes this.
  10. Whoops Augur

Yes!

A lot of the icon is brown, but a lot of it is grey, which made it tricky to say there's *a* primary color. The needles in the icon do seem kind of thicker and blunter than one would hope for in a pack of new sewing needles, and it looks almost more like a pack of crochet hooks than sewing needles, but yah.

I remember doing this quest a million and a half years ago (maybe not *quite* that long ago!), but what I apparently didn't remember is that Willamina's needles are not actually *called* Willamina's needles, just "new sewing needles." I double-checked the name for this trivia!
  11. Whoops Augur

I need to know something! Are the 2.5 dong buildings made of 1 + (0.5 x 3) dong buildings? (That was my guess when you stated the total, which is why I said it might be yes.)
  12. Mary Poppins Augur

That’s an excellent question.

The long answer is that if you look at the design structure of the buildings in PoK, you’ll notice that there is a distinct stylized theme that the architect was going for. Now when I say “architect”, I do not mean the fictional unnamed individual tasked with designing the buildings that comprise the city of New Tanaan, but instead I refer to the dynamic artistic duo of Bob Painter (not to be confused with the painter Bob Ross, aka the happy trees guy) and Dante Fuget (I crap you not - that’s the dude’s name... whether you look at it as “forget” or “f*** it”, it’s a classic). These are the guys who did the primary concept designs for the building structures in Plane of Knowledge during the development of the PoP expansion. I actually got to meet one of them when Piestro invited me down to SOE headquarters and gave me and my oldest son a tour of the place. The introduction and follow up conversation only lasted a few minutes and so the topic of dong buildings in PoK did not “come up” (or “arise”, since we are talking about dongs), but I did get some unique insight into his mindset, which was very interesting. Very talented individual with a distinctly perverse (in an “all in good fun” kind of way) sense of humor. There are a lot of little hidden things innocuously spread throughout the game (at least the early game where they had significant contributive functionality) that would surprise the average player. But in any case, in order to ascertain whether a PoK building is a “dong building”, you would also have to take into consideration the occupants of said structure. When seen in this light, you can clearly see how the .5 came into play, because not all dongs are created equal (gnomes, asslings, etc). So in theory, I think you have the right idea, but I’m pretty sure our understanding of which buildings comprise the .5’s actually differ. So the honest answer to your question is both “yes” and “no”.

P.S. I know you guys will likely brush this off as another one of my incoherent ramblings (and in Verily’s case, he probably wouldn’t even finish reading this far), but Piestro giving me a tour and Bob/Dante working on the art design for PoP is absolutely true.
    Whoops likes this.
  13. Verily Tjark Augur

It's true I only read the P.S. part of that. I figured out the questgiver and quest, but I didn't have time to go through and narrow down the answer... so I just threw the William question out there.

I will try harder to win the next one Morit.
  14. Whoops Augur

That's a great story! And yes, they very well might be different buildings. I thought the 0.5's were the three buildings with the bridges attached, as they each have a small tower above the flatter part of the building.
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  15. Mary Poppins Augur

1) Of course you didn’t read it. EQ Trivia is a window into one’s soul. Play it long enough, and I‘d have a better chance of divining what you had for dinner last night more accurately than a scatologist would. In fact, your innate laziness is my favorite thing about you, because...

2) Unlike you, I not only read every single word any EQ Trivia player (or game master) ever types... I read them all multiple times in a effort to examine any clue or insight into their social emotional psyche - not just for the current game, but for future games as well. Especially the IMPORTANT ones, like the recent #699. You have no idea how much I wanted you to win #698, as once you did I knew I was a virtual lock to win (barring you and Grover cheating). Unfortunately for me, I have another weakness...

3) While you narrowed it down but were too lazy to find the actual answer, I failed because of an entirely different reason. I actually had the correct answer (in fact I even posted it initially), but after reflecting on the situation for a few minutes, I edited out what would have been the game winning answer and instead submitted the “ Is the dude with the dong a sick as MF’er who reaches into his pants and whips out something long, skinny, and hard if you give him drugs?” question instead. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to ask something that ridiculous that would still legitimately be correct. Then I went to bed and by the time I woke up, Grover had won. Again. And that is my Achilles heel - this isn’t the first time I’ve chosen to ask an insanely ludicrous question instead of securing the win. Which brings me to...

4) Grover is starting to win too much also. I might need to actively start trying trying to foil his efforts as well. I’ve never had to do this to two competitors simultaneously. This might be a little hard.

5) I know you stopped reading this a long time ago.

6) You REALLY don’t have to try harder to win. I’m perfectly content to keep the status quo of you being lazy (except when you are the game master - you need to take your “like” duties more seriously). You win too damn much anyway.
    Verily Tjark likes this.
  16. Mary Poppins Augur

Actually, I made up the 2.5 dong buildings thing. I threw out a random number and hoped that would allow me to squeeze more information out of your response.

To be clear... my earlier response which stated that Piestro (EQ’s Community Manager at the time) gave me a tour of SOE headquarters and that Bob Painter and Dante Fuget were art designers for the Planes of Power expansion is absolutely 100% TRUE (you can even look it up - it’s documented and everything).

But everything else in my rambling explanation about the 2.5 dongs is a 450-word pile of steaming bull poop.
  17. Verily Tjark Augur

I read the whole thing and gave it a like.
    Mary Poppins likes this.
  18. Mary Poppins Augur

Uh. Thanks?

But that’s actually Whoops’ job for this game.