EverQuest Trivia #668

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fredescu, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Fredescu Augur

No.
  2. Duder Augur

To confirm, that is what I meant by straight line, the fact that it is a train has no bearing ;) But alas, what could it be that is not an item that you could attempt to eat? o_O

[IMG]
    Fredescu likes this.
  3. Finfan Augur

Is it an NPC?
    Fredescu likes this.
  4. Verily Tjark Augur

Is it part of the UI?
    Fredescu likes this.
  5. Fredescu Augur

I'll break with yes/no tradition to answer this, but only because I'm confident that doing so will provide no further information than has already been provided, at least my perspective, and perhaps serve the (entirely untended) secondary purpose of further obfuscating the answer to the game.

The premise of the question "Could you TRY to eat it?" is that failure is certain. This is made all the more clear in the context to my answer to the previous question that, no, it cannot be eaten. So the question was never "Could you successfully invoke game mechanics such that the <answer> could in fact be eaten by your character?" We are already operating in a context where we know this to be impossible, but we're trying anyway.

So I approached the question asking myself, could my character, certain in failure (assuming sound mind), interact with the object in the same way as my character interacts with something that can be eaten? Despite it being known, now, that it is not an "item", to me, the answer was a clear and amusing yes.

You'll note that in answering the question, I provided clear context "given that the act of eating in Everquest is right clicking on something." So the information that can be gleaned from my answer is not that it is only an item, but that it is a something in the game world that can be right clicked. To me, this would include NPCs, items, in game geometry (and other categories that I may be potentially deliberately not listing), really anything that is represented in the game as an object that the character interacts with. As opposed to things that the player interacts with.

Note that I did give the player opportunity to clarify what "trying to eat" something in Everquest entails, if they disagree with my description.

Imagine the answer to the game was "PoK bank". A player asks "Could you TRY to eat it?", immediately after learning that it could not be eaten. It would be entirely remiss of me to say "no" as long as I specified that I believe this action is right clicking it. You could imagine someone's character wanting to eat the PoK bank, and you could enable that behaviour by right clicking it over and over. Yes, right clicking it does nothing, but we already know this is a "try but fail" scenario, so that doesn't change the answer. If the player asks a question such as "Could you TRY to eat it?" I believe they are asking a question of imagination, where one can imagine a deranged high elf gnawing on the wooden framework of PoK bank.

Clearly you can't just "TRY" to eat everything involved in the game though. To me this question rules out abstract things just as zones and quests, and things that the player interacts with but the character does not, like UI elements and other things.

Yes.

No.
    Duder and Mary Poppins like this.
  6. Mary Poppins Augur

Now wait one gosh-darn minute! You went on to say that “yes” it is an NPC. From a role-playing perspective you COULD eat an NPC (see EQTrivia game #500), but you said “no” to the eating question. Those two statements are completely contradictory to each other.

Does the npc have boobs?
    Fredescu likes this.
  7. Duder Augur

Is it the PoK bank?
    Fredescu likes this.
  8. Fredescu Augur

If we made the default assumption to all questions "from a role-playing perspective" rather than "from an in-game mechanics perspective" this game would get pretty confusing. And we couldn't have that.

No.

Which one? There are two.
  9. Duder Augur

The single story one ;)
    Fredescu likes this.
  10. Fredescu Augur

No.
  11. Mary Poppins Augur

Does the npc have legs?
    Fredescu likes this.
  12. Grove Augur

13. Fredescu Augur

Yes.

Since you wouldn't be wasting a guess on it, I'll say that no, it's not Banker Granger
    Duder likes this.
  14. Verily Tjark Augur

Can you kill the NPC by bludgeoning it to death?
    Fredescu likes this.
  15. Fredescu Augur

Yes.
  16. Verily Tjark Augur

Is the NPC an animal?
    Fredescu likes this.
  17. Fredescu Augur

Yes.
  18. Mary Poppins Augur

Does the npc have more than 2 legs?
    Fredescu likes this.
  19. Fredescu Augur