EverQuest Trivia #608

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Captain Video, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Captain Video Augur

No buff.
  2. Dreadmore Augur

YOU ARE SO EVIL
  3. Eggolas Augur

Page 5 ... still waiting on the answer. :)
  4. Captain Video Augur

*cackle*

Seriously, you're all going to slap yourselves on the forehead after this one. The timeframe of the item's introduction has been pinned down, you just need to re-visit what significant events happened in the EQ world around that time. I thought it would be easy enough for even Morit to figure out!
  5. Dreadmore Augur

I checked through a few years' worth of patch notes but none of them mention an item being removed. Maybe it wasn't documented officially, or I didn't check the right notes...

Did this effect create another item?
    Captain Video likes this.
  6. Zyrek New Member

Is it an LoN booster pack?
  7. Captain Video Augur

Yes, but this answer could be misleading.

No, but this answer could be misleading.
  8. Dreadmore Augur

Wait... did the item have "Legends of Norrath: " in its name?
  9. Captain Video Augur

Yes.
  10. Dreadmore Augur

Did it only drop from NPCs in The Buried Sea expansion's zones?
  11. Eggolas Augur

Dreadmore likes this.
  12. Captain Video Augur

No.
  13. Dreadmore Augur

Not a booster pack.. But is it a legends of Norrath starter deck?
  14. Captain Video Augur

No, but this answer could be misleading.
  15. Dreadmore Augur

... Or a legends of Norrath starter set?
  16. Captain Video Augur

Yep, we have a winner! Congrats... and see, it wasn't as hard as all that. :)

For approx. a year after the LoN launch, free cards were dropped globally in-game in both EQ1 and EQ2. In order of increasing rarity, the items were the LoN [Oathbound] Booster Pack, the LoN [Oathbound] Starter Deck, and the LoN [Oathbound] Starter SET, which was so mega-ultra-rare I never personally saw one. The set redeemed in the LoN client as one starter deck + two booster packs. It was much, much easier to get those items as three separate drops.

It didn't take long for SOE to figure out they were making a lot more money from people buying the booster packs for the loot cards, rather than to actually play the CCG. So, they killed the free in-game drops, why give away something people are willing to pay for in the cash shop? And there was a bit of controversy... one of the loot cards in the original set was sharply criticized by some players for being OP, the Kiss of Erollisi Marr, a raid-caliber clickie as of endgame content in that era. No equivalent item was ever made as a raid/quest/chase loot.

Players with very good memories will recall there was a matching game, the SWG TCG, tied to Star Wars Galaxies. It also had in-game card drops for a short period of time. The SWG NGE emulators I have seen include the code for the global card drops, but they aren't turned on for the obvious reason there is no SWG TCG (yet, it's being worked on). If only we had a LoN ...!!
    Adonhiram and Dreadmore like this.
  17. Dreadmore Augur

... I need a rest after this one. :eek: