EverQuest running too fast on my AMD CPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xanadas, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Xanadas Augur

No freaking clue what's going on.

I see other posts about this, but I'm not touching my BIOS. I'm running with BIOS defaults and I have zero intention of changing anything so don't even suggest it.

DBG can you fix this? My AMD 9590 CPU has been on the market for over a year now.

I swear to God I better not get in trouble from a GM or something for running too fast in EQ....
  2. Xanadas Augur

I also submitted a /bug in-game.
  3. Kabarle New Member

Having the same issues with my 9 series AMD also. Having serious mouse control issues also.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

Search is your friend!!!

And you using AMD software, you should not have to touch the bios. Unfortunately continuously running like Speedy Gonzales will likely get your account into trouble. After that it becomes a GM issue on what happens with your account.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/amd-8-core-processor.218770/

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/eq-amd-fx-help-or-fix-please.212991/

Basically if the base frequency is over 200mhz, EQ has issues. Send in your bug reports but since it is base code that would need to be changed, and there is a lot of it, do not expect any changes.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf
    Barton likes this.
  5. Barton The Mischievous

If your unwilling to do anything I would not plan on being able to play for long. Adjusting setting is not an unreasonable requirement and I believe AMD has software that you can use to adjust this without goin g into BIOS, if not adjusting BIOS is not that big of a deal
  6. Xanadas Augur

My BCLK (aka HT Ref) speed cannot go under 200 mhz on my motherboard.

Ball is in your court, DBG.
  7. Weverley Augur

Quite the opposite if you cant fix your 200mhz or your CPU is over 4.2ghz and you can't reduce it your out of the loop. I believe somebody said that you can fix with AMD overdrive. Ball is entirely on your camp.This is a known issues and have been for years.I can see the reply to your petition gonna go something like this We are sorry that you having issues with your pc and everquest unfortunately at this time we can't fix it. I suggest you make a /bug report and made a post in the forums.
  8. chaoz_sk Journeyman

I remember having a similar problem on an old AMD powered laptop. My memory is a little vague but I think I had to either :-
    • change the power options to full performance so that the CPU would run at max speed and not throttle down.
    • set affinity to one core
  9. Sarkaukar Augur

At the time that happened that is true. Then the system was in a low power mode and as the game (not launchpad) came up, that is then the timing would be checked but the system was not running at full speed at that moment. It still hold merit but it is not the only item now that will cause the issue. There is a long thread revolving around that and other system settings until one of the players came back, providing pre-tweak info and post-tweak info, with others chiming in about locking down the BCLK/HT Ref speed first, followed by the CPU Multiplier. That player had stumbled on that solution elsewhere when some other users were having issue with a particular program.

Here the BCKL/HT Ref (aka FSB-Front Side Bus/Bus Frequency) can exceed 200mhz to allow the AMD system to reach a higher system speed. And from another player/thread it appears some motherboards for newer Intel CPU are coming onto the market, providing that ability to help increase overall clock speeds.
    _____________________-

Lock the BCKL/HT Ref at 200mhz then the clock multiplier 21x so the system is running at 4.2ghz. With AMD Overdrive you can setup profiles, one for when running EQ, another for other games/times.

Sklugs a few years ago had posted he was going to change how EQ checked for system timing, mentioning it was a daunting task and would take some time, that is before he was pulled away for EQ-Landmark/Next.
  10. Xanadas Augur

Recommended:
    - Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    - Processor: Pentium 4 or better

So you're saying they are not obligated to support what they advertise? There is nothing unreasonable or custom about my computer. It's entirely reasonable that EverQuest should function properly on a chip and motherboard that have been on the market for plenty of time.
  11. Barton The Mischievous

It is entirely reasonable that for some older games that you may have to make adjustments to newer hardware to make them work correctly as they were not designed for that hardware try AMD Overdrive.
    No offense but being stubborn about this will likely get you reported for cheating/botting and eventually banned
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Xanadas Augur

First, EQ is not an "older game" it's a game from a studio that makes AAA titles and has an active budget and staff releasing regular updates and patches to the game.

Secondly, let me get this straight, SOE expects users to go into their BIOS and make low level, possibly dangerous changes to their hardware, simply because they don't want to prioritize fixing their software properly? One wrong setting in the BIOS and you can fry your CPU. I think you need to wipe the brown off your nose....

That's the most ridiculous logic I've heard in a long time. Being "stubborn" to get a reasonable fix is the same as botting? /boggle.
  13. guado Augur

U mad, bro? Just sell that junk and buy something cheaper that will probably run EQ fine. I've played EQ on the best and worst computers, you are just having some bad luck at the moment.
  14. Barton The Mischievous

Cause changing a BIOS setting or using the AMD Overdrive tool is so hard. Dangerous? Changing a BIOS setting to overclock something may be dangerous I highly doubt slowing it down a little is detrimental. Anyway good luck
    guado likes this.
  15. Sarkaukar Augur

How old is EQ? The base code in EQ that obtains its timing from the system dates back to the late 1990's. The base code is basically spaghetti. Going in to change that base code amounts to a several hundred man-hours, including checking what it breaks and such.

You are arguing with the wrong people, which is really foolish. If, and that is a BIG IF, DBG does something about it, it will not been soon enough. You have been provided with the information to "technically" underclock that particular system to play EQ. The other option is to run EQ on an older system to ensure your account is not banned, not play at all, or play til your account is locked down.

I do encourage you and others to put in bug reports for this particular issue, as it can only help. Otherwise chill, take the advice provided or don't, that is your choice. Just remember your actions, or lack thereof, may have a very negative ramification on your accounts.

Have a good day, or not!!!
  16. Xanadas Augur

Haha, ok so you're a DBG employee who's look at the code? Didn't think so... Leave the code analysis to the real programmers buddy.

I'm only arguing with you wanna-be IT professionals because you all feel the need to speak for, and answer for *actual* customer support. Obviously I'm not accepting the "just go underclock it" answer as I said in my OP and in all subsequent replies. So, to reiterate it to me for the umpteenth time is the only thing that's "foolish" here.

Sorry, I'm not going to downgrade my CPU and screw every other application and game on my system just to work around a glaring EQ bug. You guys may not have any standards for customer support and bug fixes, but I do.

Bottom line is, you all don't speak for EQ CSRs, stop thinking that you do, and I'll be checking back here until an actual CSR comments on this issue.
  17. Sarkaukar Augur

Ya notice on the Forum Subject line, Player Support. DBG, previously as SOE, has replied in other threads that they do not use forums for tech support. 99.99% of the time they inform the players to create a ticket. This forum is for players assisting players.

And nope, I am not a DBG employee, nor have I worked on the code. Nor have you. And I do not need to read the code to provide you with pertinent information, that info which had come from Sklug, the team's lead coder/dev before he was moved to EQN. And the issue with AMD CPUs timing dates back several years.

It is sad you are such a spoiled sport. If you continue to play I hope your primary account does not get the hammer. Even though just about everything you have posted have been very negative and condescending, you will notice that so far the assistance provided has been to get your EQ running ok before possibly getting ban, and so that you can actually enjoy the game.

I will leave it there. Just one other thing though. Consider your posts and intentions, it may very well lead to your account being flagged.

Happy Hunting!!!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Sneaksta like this.
  18. Xanadas Augur

If you read my original post, I was well aware of the bios changes that most people have been conceding to. I stated up front that I wasn't interested in bending my system specs to work around an obvious bug in the EQ client. Yet, all the wanna-be IT people out there felt compelled to ignore my statement and chime in with their unwanted advice because they feel like they're a hacker because they went into their bios, made changes, and *didnt* break their system. Good for them.

I'm a spoiled sport because I'm trying to holding EQ to a higher standard and actually *fix* a 3 year old bug? I'm sorry you have your head so far up it that you can't distinguish fantasy from reality.

I've worked in software development (and I'm the team lead of a group of developers btw) the duration of my career and I see people try to sweep issues under the carpet all the time. I call that crap out every time I see it because it smacks of laziness and lack of care. I've said this in my previous posts, and I'll say it again: DBG (ie. SOE) makes AAA game titles and they should be held to a very high standard. When they aren't, we get these longstanding problems like were seeing. Stop and think about the game over the course of whenever you've played it. It doesn't take long to come up with at least a few bugs that have dragged on and on. Secondly, when 50% of the market is covered by AMD CPUs and a good chunk of those are going to have this speed issue, they need to be getting ahead of this problem not punting it down the road in favor of putting out more s****y expansion packs that are gonna be full of more bugs and design problems. What's this going to look like in 3 years when *more* cpu and motherboard combos don't let people run under 200mhz bclk speed and when 6.0ghz+ is the new standard?

Typical... if somebody disagrees with you, label them as mean. Heaven forbid anyone around here have any standards or convictions about quality. If you look closer, you'll notice any time I get snippy its because somebody else has already "condescended" on my comments, like you.

Peace.....
  19. Crystilla Augur

Xanadas - take a step back and relook at this thread. Folks have helped you. They've told you what we've all been told by DBG already. (Hence IT wannabe really doesn't have a relevance here because this information came from the coding lead himself before he moved to a new project and the team was gutted horribly.)

People have also said here others have experienced this issue and they said make sure you have done a /bug report which you said you did. (As anyone with this issue should be doing.)

EQ is an older game. The fact that they still puts out expansions is irrelevant to the point being made - that the game's base code is from the late 1990's (actually you can put that as mid 1990's due to original creation data, alphas, etc.).

With your experience, I'm surprised you would call what has been said to do as 'dangerous', but perhaps you were talking about the random player and not someone with your high level of experience.

As mentioned, these were renamed to "player support" forums as they've removed the technical DBG support responding forums.
  20. Behee Augur

I agree with Crystilla and Sarkaukar.

Xanadas, you need to read your responses to the very people who are trying to help you. They aren't paid for that. Yet, you come across as intolerant and mean spirited.

Look up posts from the past by Sarkaukar, and you will see he posts frequently, and is often very good at determining problems for people. It's easy to decide not to bother with that help, and yet Sarkaukar has done so for years.

You can take advice any way you want, but when you turn on people why should they bother helping you? Go figure it out or pay an expert if you want to complain.