EverQuest Roadmap 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Thanks for the fast response. I have a Chromebook that I won in n a raffle, and would love to run EQ on it. I think it would be boxing option I would like to try while running the main on the the PC laptop.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  2. Zansobar Augur

I'm so happy this new UI is coming. It has long been my belief that the UI is the number one thing (that can be fixed) that keeps new players away from the game and even reduces the chance of past players returning.
    Caell, Orangemilk and Sturmlocke like this.
  3. Cadira Augur

Is it just me or have they dodged all the class balance questions?
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

Like every other time it gets brought up? :D
    ChiiChii, Metanis and Cadira like this.
  5. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Gotcha, sent you a PM :)
    Wdor likes this.
  6. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Oh wow, so they actually downgraded the visuals for the final release? Interesting. I remember FF14 did this before they completely rebooted their game with "a realm reborn". The original client had better graphics, which the PS3 console was able to handle just fine, but PC users were having major issues, so they downgraded the graphics to accomodate player expectations in terms of overall fps performance and whatnot. Ultimately this meant that a lot of objects suddenly had far less polygons and details versus the vanilla client. I didn't know Vanguard did the same thing to their vanilla models. Do you have more beta models that you can share? Would really like to take a closer look tbh.
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

If you do a search for Vanguard, and see the "groups" of the various races, that's P1/P2 visuals. That was downgraded in Beta to the P2's. Those lost the most details as they downgraded the skin texture poly count(?) as well as the wire frame points. P2 => P3 was somethings around halfing the customization points on the wire frames. It caused more of an uproar when it happened, because i made many characters look very similar. But yeah, the Alpha => Beta skins and frames were craaazy nice. The really good shots though... They come from Alpha. I don't have any left on this PC.. but there were quite a few shared in Discord. Just pop in the SS/Picts part and see if they'll repost.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  8. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Do you know if it will be possible to resize the Casting Time window? It's always bothered me that I can't make it wider =(
  9. Jedis Arch Mage

This is worth calling out. Anyone still on Windows 7, whether 32/64 bit, should be actively looking at upgrading to Windows 10/11. Windows 7 will not be receiving any more updates, putting your system at risk. And it's possible this may be a moving target on slated compatibility, so best be prepared.
  10. Valcron Elder

From what I gather, there will just minor stuff going on. A buff or nerf here or there. This game is in maintenance mode, new expansion every year, same game events they've been running for a long time, same equipment upgrades for each expansion but just more stats. It's a cynical view but it's kind of true. And right now I'm okay with it.
  11. Ozon Augur

I think its safe to say the past few years, the number of new AA, abilities for most classes has been less than exciting especially with level cap expansions. Having participated in the a few Betas, my experience has always been, that recommendations for new AA lines or class abilities, in Beta are too late. By the time Beta is open it's about tuning, naming, and possibly suggestions for the NEXT Beta when it comes to new AA, or abilities. All this being said my question is when is the best time to suggest new AA, abilities? I understand every suggestion has the chance to turn in to a fight about how class X is OP, and any suggestion would make them even more so etc etc. But frankly that happens by just naming certain classes.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Sadly, not everyone can afford a new computer and many older computers cannot run Win10. Yes, that would mean it is a 10+ year old computer, but if it is working and you can afford to buy a new one...

And yes, I am aware you can get a low end system for blah-blah "cheap price", + a monitor since the old one might not be compatible with the available connectors on the new system, etc. I am not now in the barely scraping by state, but I have been in my past. It's nice that an old game would still be possible to play on an old system.
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

There shouldn't be any real issues with a W7 capable computer and a W10 capable computer. Unlike W11 which requires a specific generation of CPU or newer + 4GB RAM minimum +DX12 capable GPU +TPM 2.0 etc...

W10 =>W11
    W7=>W10
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/394763/windows-11-system-hardware-requirements.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/427723/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-what-you-need-to-know.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/523873/windows_7_upgrade_faq.html
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I know from personal experience that not all Win7 64-bit computers and laptops can be upgraded to Win10. I have had a couple at home that can't upgrade and a few at work couldn't. Those that couldn't have generally been replaced unless their insecurity could be mitigated otherwise. At home, between my sweetie and I, both working in computer related jobs - software testing for me and system administration for him, we have over a dozen computers with various purposes and about half a dozen of those are running Windows (with only one of them Win7 - the last hold out without a replacement). Most of the Windows computers were upgraded to 10 a couple started their lives with us at 10. I started building computers back in the Win 3.1.1 days and have gone through a few distros and versions of Linux and Unix, too, and a stint with OS2 Warp as well *laugh*
  15. Jedis Arch Mage

Windows 10 actually runs better on older machines than Windows 7 because it's better at handling memory management.
    Svann2 and Metanis like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

At some point they need to decide how old of hardware that can be supported to ensure that the game can take advantage of current hardware to the full capacity.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They have their "minimum system requirements" and Win 7 is still there!

Hopefully if they discontinue the ability to run the game in Windows 7, they will let us know a little better than when they ditched allowing the game to run on Windows XP
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Right but if it becomes an issue of upgrading direct x engines or supporting windows 7 which is almost 14 years old at this point I know which one I would chose. Not that I think the direct x upgrade is going to force that kind of choice since windows 7 seems to come with direct x 11.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

They have done that before. XP is not supported now. I think the video, cpu, and ram requirements are higher than at launch. I just have a lot more sympathy for those who are limping along with outdated hardware and OSes 'cause I was in that boat at one point long ago.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't a matter of having sympathy but the fact that not even Microsoft is supporting Windows 7 anymore. At some point in time old operating systems will have to lose support in order for software to take advantage of modern operating systems and hardware.
    Wdor, Sturmlocke and Nennius like this.