EverQuest Producer's Letter Fall 2021

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 2, 2021.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nm for the main part of my answer. some one else posted.

But........Its not Win 11 that is the issue though.

Pick up a lap top during Black Friday. $500 and can run a few copies of EQ or others say just pick up a used computer for that price or lower also
    Shindius likes this.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

A 32 bit processor cannot run a 64 bit operating system.

I have a really old gaming laptop (intel dual core, with a graphics card, 4 gigs of ram, from 2006? maybe). It runs eq like a dream though, no lag (better than a non-gaming laptop, but better specs, my wife has from 2015). It actually came with vista, I upgraded it to windows 7 so it could be a 5th box on the TLP servers. I don't need a third laptop or 3rd desktop, so I'll just let that account go. Not sure if I was mainly playing on TLP if I would get a new one though, I'm speaking from the perspective of someone that mainly plays on live servers where I box on a single or 2 PCs versus true box.

So they will lose some accounts. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm sure they lost accounts when they discontinued win95 and win98 and then XP support too.

If it fixes any of the lag issues, I'll thank them for it, or if we get some cool graphic upgrades.
    Keella likes this.
  3. Slasher Augur

A laptop from 2006 might or might not support 64 bit. I know money is money but for $200-250 you could get a used laptop that is better and supports 64bit shrugs If we want this game to continue they need to go 64bit eventually.
    Orangemilk, Shindius and Keella like this.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

There is that option. I am thinking of doing it myself. But the bigger question for me (for reasons other than EQ) is trying to guess as to when PC prices will start dropping.

Next question, and apologies again for the off-topic nature of the question. I have this case for my main PC.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811583023

Where can a hardware spec. challenged person like myself go to see what motherboards will fit in it?
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Didn't ever say they shouldn't. But they are going to lose some people. Not a problem to me, I can buy whatever I want if need be, but I don't need 5 computers so I won't. But I know a lot if people over the years in this game that couldn't afford a month sub (I don't know why they waste time playing the game at all if that bad off, but to each their own) who I had to help out so they could raid. So its out there.

But we better get something worthwhile other than using more RAM. Nothing in this game needs more than the 4 gigs a core uses already.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You won't find PC prices dropping for probably 2 years. It is what it is. Good luck finding a video card under $1000 also.

I upgraded my pc a few months ago, I ended up keeping my old video card, because the same card I had cost 2x what I paid for it 2 years ago. I don't have the time to deal with what you have to do if you want a card for $500 or less that isn't ancient (get on the websites with notifications and be ready to buy when you get a text or email, because they sell out in minutes). Blame crypto mining for that.
    Keella likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

hot holiday item. If you have mouse keyboard and HDMI monitor

Mini PC < $300

Haven't installed EQ, but loving it (got a BeeLink). You can tuck it away behind the TV with wireless mouse and keyboard ;)
    Shindius and Stymie like this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, they mentioned "more and higher resolution art" and they are looking for more inhouse artists. Im sure they have plans for using the extra memory. :)
    Keella likes this.
  10. Coagagin Guild house cat

I noticed a couple of pieces that I have on my wish list have come down 25-30 bucks in the last few weeks. Very high end mobos and no so high end video cards like a 3060, etc. I use very high end components at home for testing password breaking and other security based nonsense. Not for EQ. That machine is an aging i7. LOL
  11. Juicewrld New Member

Upgrading to 64 bit.... Just wow!
    Can't remember the last time I was this excited about something xD!!!!
    THANK YOU INFINITELY!!!!
    Keella likes this.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Can you do us a favor and pump up the 64 bit news and expansion launch? Those are both worth advertising and shows a strong commitment to EQ1’s virtue.

It’d be a really good message to spread to potential returning players and even new players that EQ is old, but it is still gaining momentum.
  13. MagicMysteryTour Journeyman

Makes sense to combine the news about them considering it appears they are cannibalizing off each other.

Might be a few things that don't make it into the expansion since this is happening during beta like an evolve item. Or the expansion will be lighter on AA or spell feedback side.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

No I’m saying spread it to gaming news outlets, advertisements, some large old-school Twitch streamers (CohhCarnage) and major gaming forums. As in use it to bolster confidence of those outside the forums that EQ is here to stay with investment into its backend as well as continued content releases.

There are so many no or low cost methods to advertise the game and EQ1 makes no use of them. JChan really needs to improve that aspect of her role. You can’t just come out once a year with a corporate letter published to a few hundred people on the forums.
    Shindius, Keella and Juicewrld like this.
  15. Keella Journeyman

Right now building your own system is the far more expensive option & you are, financially at least, better served by buying a pre-built or custom-built from a company as they have a much better component supply-pipelines, especially with the graphics acrds situation going in right now and likely to carry on for some time.

I actually considered buying a system with the graphics card I actually wanted in it just to cannibalise the card and sell the rest of the system with my old card shoved into it because that was looking cheaper.
    Shindius and MasterMagnus like this.
  16. Juicewrld New Member

I seen news of this on a handful of gaming sites now, it would be nice to get CohhCarnage or other streamers in on this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It could be they are waiting to see how 64 bit effects the lag, I'm hoping to see at least some improvement if not a full cure.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that they wanted to finalize the 64bit upgrade, before making substantial improvements to specific sub-systems.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It was a hard decision, Lag, 64 bit, door #3. As I mentioned earlier.

It makes sense for a number of reasons. The big downside being the most dedicated players have to endure the performance issues, til May-ish at the earliest (I'm thinking).

Once the 64 bit server and client are in place, we may all see some benefit at a system-memory level. Whatever that means and to whatever degree we all 'feel that'. It's huge from their end, not really a big difference on our end, to start.

But once they start being able to fix things, and address issues in the new 64 bit environment, we should all see some changes that weren't possible (in any practical way) before.

Whatever that means and to whatever degree they can 'leverage' that capability.;)
    Shindius, Keella and Jumbur like this.
  20. Keella Journeyman

News appears to be starting to get around, but I agree it is deserving of a push to more mainstream places.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/11/03/...t-client-and-possible-server-merges-for-2022/

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/everquest-is-moving-to-64-bit/1127000

Shindius likes this.