EverQuest Producer's Letter April 2022

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iven Antonius Bayle

What you want to tell me is, if you give away your computer that you have bought from your own money to a friend for three years and then receive it back you dont have hardware costs for those three years.

Value before lending the PC: $500
    Value after three years: $200
    = no hardware costs. :D

You would make a good bussiness man, McMarrin and I will be your best customer. ;)
  2. Iven Antonius Bayle

The spending time is actually the most valueable thing and priceless because it is directly linked to your unlimited life energy which you might think is limited but this is an illusion because death and time are illusions. You might want to study occult/hermetic/esoteric knowledge to recognize that. But you could also ask a millionaire what the most valuable thing in life is and many of them might tell you the same, that it is time, not money. Rich people (not just rich in money) know about how valueable time is, poor people don't. There is a direct connection between those mind sets and "success".

Property / rent costs are a factor because you need a location to place your computer system even if it is a laptop. Not everybody has to include this factor. Like if you can use a house, room, caravan, car, or tent for free because someone else is paying for it that is fine and a cave should be free too. :) If it is not about money you might spend time for fostering the hardware location which could be converted into money to allocate it a fictional monetary value by comparing it with the paid work of other beings. It does not have to.

Not much to add to clothes and hygiene, as everything about that has been written at my post about food & drink already.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What does giving away your computer have to do with playing EQ? And as others and myself have stated most people use their computers for things besides EQ and they would have one if they didn't play EQ at all. Just because your computer is less valuable over time doesn't mean it is a cost that can be associated to EQ. The value is changing regardless of what you do with your computer and unless you are going to sell it the change in value doesn't matter. Even today you can easily be playing on a computer that is 10+ years old as long as you have a 64 bit os.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And how you spend your time is a result of what you chose and not a cost of playing eq. Just like rent, food, clothes, hygiene all of which you will be doing regardless of your entertainment of choice.

Are you trying to kill off EQ and all of the Daybreak games by making them less profitable by removing revenue from the company?
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

• Subscription cost (AllAccess) - Yes...
    • Expansion purchase - Yes...
    • Marketplace purchases - Yes, but most of these you can certainly live without...
    • Hardware costs - No... You have a computer for other things than just EQ.
    • Software cost (OS) - No... You have a computer for other things than just EQ.
    • Energy costs - No... You have a computer for other things than just EQ.
    • Your play time / your life energy = priceless, infinite - What?
    • Property / rent cost - What? You'd live on the street if you didn't play EQ?
    • Food & drink costs - What? You'd quit eating if you didn't play EQ?
    • Clothes & hygiene costs - What? You wouldn't shower/brush your teeth and walk around naked if you didn't play EQ?
    Most of your list is ridiculous. So other than the Marketplace purchases which are most definitely things you can play EQ without. No one NEEDS xp potions or bags from the Marketplace. EQ is extremely cheap entertainment.
    Yinla and Hobitses like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can play EQ without ever making a marketplace purchase and with the 500 DBC that we get monthly you can make purchases for free if you save up.
  7. Iven Antonius Bayle

Ah, an ad hominem again, please keep that tag "He is trying to kill the game !" on yourself. I have noticed that it is a common pattern in your constantly black rhetorics that you are wrapping your accusations into questions but it is still trolling. I have explained everything but you keep ignoring my arguments which does mean that you only want to spread your toxic polemics. In all those years in the forums I never did red anything constructive from you. But when someone is making suggestions which could change the game to the better you are there instantly like a badger creeping out of his hole, trying to destroy the invaders. To me it seems that it is yourself who is trying to damage EQ because a game that does not change is a dying game. You McMarrin don't have to change but EQ has to.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are the one that keeps asking for a cheaper game and listing expenses that have nothing at all to do with EQ. Making claims that have no basis in logic is not making arguments for making EQ cheaper. It is cheaper then most other forms of entertainment and has maintained a steady price for over two decades. There is no reason for them to offer any more discounts then they already offer.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Nennius like this.
  9. Iven Antonius Bayle

Many players in the forums are asking for a cheaper game like a senior discount. We have now a whole different market situation than in 1999 or 2015. Much more poor people, especially in the once rich USA and europe, and this trend of decadence will continue with no end in sight. 90% or more employees from those regions will be replaced by robots inbetween the next 20 years and will then be totally dependent on welfare and privileges. Many more people will then have time to play games like EQ but not having much money to spare.

In december 2021 we had the discussion about my Limited Lifetime Membership idea and EG7 numbers came up: 74% AllAccess accounts vs 26% FTP & Silver accounts. But nobody was taking notice that those are not total (subscription) numbers and have not much to mean. They do not show us how high the fading of new and generally in players is and I would say that it is very high. That has much to do with the current AllAccess prices because the players can only decide between getting everything or only the demo mode.

This is not attractive to many players and not much better than the situation before 2015 where "FTP", got implemented. The game does need stepping stones where every player can decide how far he does want to go and how much he does spend. Which does mean at least one extra account model but better two or three. 5 dollar steps for a single month subscription would be interesting:
    • $0 (Free to Play / Legacy Silver)
    • $5 (EQAccess Copper)
    • $10 (EQAccess Silver)
    • $15 (AllAccess Gold)
    • $20 (AllAccess Platinum)
    For some players $10-15 a month + the extra costs that I had listed in this thread, is to much, often just because they play occasionally (not often) and many do not accept FTP. Instead they just leave and will play other games for years, and the market for free games is big.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are only a couple of players asking for a cheaper solution and you already have the option to play for free and you can even purchase krono with in game currency/items making the only expense purchasing a new expansion. The only way you could make the game any cheaper is to have them pay you to play. Also why are you trying to add in more expensive ways to pay for the game while also asking for cheaper ways.

In the end we shouldn't expect a cheaper game as Daybreak is still a company looking to make a profit.
  11. Iven Antonius Bayle

A very interesting thought that I also have in mind since yesterday. Basically it should be like this and it might happen in the future. Karl Marx (or his ghostwriter) who was a high grade freemason and part of the global satanic elite has proclaimed right that for the future of capitalism. So it seems to be planned already. Not just exlusively for EQ of course.

Because DBG does want to earn revenue. I do not suggest this to make everything just cheaper but instead to attract more players and to keep them in the game which should mean more revenue and market shares. DBG would not be that silly to implement something that would cut down their revenue. The more expensive premium accout model is just something for the whales as there is definetly space to the top. It could be AllAccess gold + perks or something similar. It might be also needed to counter money inflation. A diamond account edition worth $50 might be also something for some users but I wanted to keep it simple.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The original argument for subscription-cost was to cover expenses related to running and maintaining the server. Development cost for expansions were covered by the one-time purchase-price for the expansion, IIRC.

Im not sure why people only playing EQ1 needs to cover the cost for running all the other DBG non-EQ1 MMO-servers?
    Having an "EQ1-only subscription" does make sense. I don't play Planetside, Im not a burden to the Planetside-servers, why should I pay for it?
  13. Iven Antonius Bayle

I think its just because you can only play one game at the same time and because players have a set budget for online gaming. AllAccess does grant the customers a privlege that is not eating into the companies revenue and does bind them more to DBG.

P.S.: It also does make the offer to look more attractive. Just like a buffet where you can eat as much as you want for an all-in price. AllAccess does not have to mean that the players do finance other games with it but it is possible. At the end this does happen in any case as there are no separate cash pots that are bound to a single game project.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There are more than a couple. Just look over the posts about wanting this or that given to them under the guise of "oh this will bring new players in" or "it will help us stay in the game and want to subscribe" etc.

I would say anyone in the age bracket of 11-27 wants it all for free. Gimme Gimme-I deserve it generation.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Now you are bringing in conspiracy theories? And you do not seem to be asking for something to attract more players but a way for you to pay less then you already do for an already cheap game.

I really don't get your agenda here, first you ask for cheaper prices with lots of crazy claims and now you are suggesting pay to with with more expensive subscriptions?
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You honestly think that they would lower the costs of the subscriptions for a single game? Considering that you can subscribe to all the games for what you paid for EQ alone at launch suggests that they will not change the price you pay for just a single game.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If we assume that the non-EQ1 servers aren't free to maintain, then we EQ1-players, are paying for more than what EQ1 currently gets.

I would actually be ok with the current subscription, if DBG made a better effort at maintaining EQ1, yet it is still the most obsolete game in their portfolio.
    We got a 64bit upgrade but they need to pick up the pace imo. Move the UI-revamp to late 2022(rather than next year), and hire some developers to update the 3d-render.

I would also like some teaser screenshots showing what "more and higher resolution art" means! :)

I hope the next expansion will look like it is a 64bit game...
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And given the fact that we paid $9.89 a month for EQ when it was launched (play on the 989 studios) and we now can pay $9.99 a moth with a yearly subscription I don't see how we are paying more for the extra games. A $0.10 a month increase since the game was launched in 1999 really means we are paying less then we used to once you account for inflation over the 23 years since the game has launched.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.