EverQuest Producer’s Letter April 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Qayreon New Member

Add free trade, or try something new like personal loot mechanics, heirloom, or bind on equip. Anything but how it is now. You want to encourage people to play max level chars on the same account with shared raid DZ lockouts, normal loot, and less PLs? Yeah, ok. Please don't.
  2. filthytlpplayer Elder

Bonuses for alts don't do anything for me, I prefer to play a single character per account.

These percent bonuses I'm pretty neutral to. They aren't very experimental and aren't really interesting enough for me to want to resubscribe for this cycle.

I like that the FTE rules are going to combat mass AoE PLing, personally I find it pretty gross that there is such a huge market for it. I would have gone another route by implementing Selo-ish xp rates. Then there would just be no market for PLing because XP wouldn't be scarce, but I guess there would probably be no market for xp pots either.

I like that the FTE rules are going to address camp/named toxicity. I would have gone another route by allowing loot to drop for everyone that engages a mob regardless of which group they're in. I don't camp loot so other people can't have it, I camp loot because I want it. If another group/player wants to tag the mob and contribute damage to it, I don't care if they also get a shot at the loot.

I don't think FTE rules matter for raid mobs. The majority of TLP players don't do open world raiding, and almost everything is instanced. Who is this for?

I disagree that DPS races, trains, or things like that are what make/made EQ great.

I don't like that the FTE rules make it impossible to help other players that I'm not grouped with and prevent my high-level box from assisting my low-level box.

All in all, I think this one's not for me. The things that I personally want to see addressed like the removal of truebox and just a hard cap on clients per pc that starts at launch, all classes at launch, an auction house/bazaar analog for early expansions, and faster XP weren't addressed. I hope that the people that are excited for this ruleset enjoy it.
    PCSS, Faydra and Kaenneth like this.
  3. Pstyle New Member

I'm happy and sad I won't have to spend money on EQ this year. Who thought this was good? Who thought this is the kind of experimental we needed? We want fun stuff, not slow and stupid stuff.
    Kunfo likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Apparently @Accendo has summoned me to give my feedback here.

By using a third party forum member (Official Oakwynd Feedback Thread (Directed by Dev) | EverQuest Forums (daybreakgames.com))
    Because they are busy on Discord? But my feedback is so important, and so properly directed here you pass that off to someone. Is that right? This is how we roll now?

Well, you asked, as far as I understand your intention as stated through someone else.

I subbed for Mischief only TLP I've ever tried. It was mildy fun for a bit. I'm really not your target audience, so I'm not sure it matters. But I would not play on the new TLP.

As to the rest of the letter:
    You've got your new UI engine and you've stated you will slowly be porting over existing windows. So you've successfully managed expectations from people talking about graphics improvements and how great it would be, a year or so ago, to now. Don't hold your breath, it will be all year before they get the many windows ported over, to look nominally like they do now.

Then just like 64 bit, all the potential will be unlocked! And none of the new benefits will yet be realized...

Meanwhile the lag...

Nope.
    PCSS, Koshk and Kunfo like this.
  5. Airdoggity New Member

I would implore the developers who think this is a good idea to go back and read the Mischief release announcement and compare what was said to this. The palpable excitement compared to what we are seeing here should be reason alone to stop what is currently planned.

At the very least, release a second Mischief clone server at the same time as Oakwynd. As someone said earlier maybe with Kunark unlocked. It will have three times the population for the duration of each server’s life.
    Siah, jordune, Eviara and 5 others like this.
  6. Hdizzle Augur

Nix the Classic bonuses and start the server at Kunark for 12 weeks with the loot modifier. Then proceed with the time line.

The legacy thing is dumb, no one levels alts on the same account.

FTE should be tied to MoTM; not literally everything.
  7. Ratlanta New Member

Cool, you've announced this year's Yelinak server. When are you going to announce the server where you are actually doing something new? 8 weeks of classic with an exp bonus no one will actually utilize and encounter locking is not a win.
    PCSS and Siah like this.
  8. Starshape Elder

Our guild was excited to return, but mixed feelings now.

If you could add the Random Loot/Free Trade combo I think this would be the biggest server yet.
  9. Murdukethegreat New Member

Do yall alternate which devs get to make the rulesets and its the dev responsible for Miraguls turn again?

If theres one thing that will definitely be a success when making a new server for players who play a 20+ year old game for nostalgia its changing the way the game fundamentally works. /s

GG hopefully this FTE cancer stays off live and other tlps
    PCSS, Siah, wade_watts and 5 others like this.
  10. Jasper Wiz Journeyman

I certainly don't think the majority of TLP players, are remotely excited by this server. Guess time will tell.
    Siah and Kunfo like this.
  11. NImxat Elder

I like the evolving bonuses as written.

As others have pointed out, the legacy account bonus is only a minor benefit due to account wide AoC lockouts. I do understand that linking multiple accounts for this bonus is impractical. How many accounts, 2 ? 3? 16?

The encounter locking as written will be abused by griefers, even separately from the automated warp pulls. It does remove most power leveling from the game if that was the goal. But it will be used to require others to buy the drops or to deny them ever getting the drop.
    PCSS likes this.
  12. Laronk Augur

Well it depends, just because out of group can't damage the mobs doesn't out of group can't pull agro, otherwise out of group healers won't pull agro which is its own set of issues. So as long as the lowbie can survive a pull and pull thru the healer. It will just be less effective as the lowbie would have to pull.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Nessirfiti Augur

If you're locked out from damaging the mobs, but can still be aggroed by the mobs, this makes training significantly worse.
    PCSS likes this.
  14. D4 it is FTE is the real EQ killer

What does engage mean? First person to get on hate? First person to damage it? First person to cast anything on it? Is pulling with slow engaging? If so how is that different than pulling with proximity? Can I just run through a zone at selos speed and lock it all in a swarm?
    PCSS likes this.
  15. Arvis New Member

So is it EVERY mob in the game? Does OOG Non-damage spells work (possibly no detrimental spells work and that makes sense)? Can I heal a group engaged in a targe tthats not mine? Does agro influence this? How? Can I just punch a mob and flop for 24 hours and keep it engaged to me? Can you bring people in after engage to group or raid? I know some of it was clear, but not the entirety of the concept. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough with my misunderstandings
  16. coltongrundy Augur

Uhhh, yeah, we already know how this works via the rampage mechanic.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is the most stupid idea I have ever heard, this will make splitting mobs impossible, there are many camps where mobs need to be split to kill them one at a time. Not every group has a mezer and need monks and bards to split mobs. :rolleyes:
  18. Khanfu Elder

I understand you want to test these "experimental features" but could we please just get an alternative server as well? PLEASE?

I just don't see this as being appealing and I really would like to get back into EQ on a fresh start, .... but this isn't it.

I can't invest time to play again on a server whose lifespan is DoA.
    Siah, Kunfo, Baulkin and 1 other person like this.
  19. Crackers Elder

Not sure this is an issue. If the group has the lock, then a group mate can pull the remaining mobs that are split after the others roam back.

It just means someone out of group can't do it. Still, there are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding this very issue, and DBG doesn't appear prepared with answers as none are coming at the moment.
  20. D4 it is FTE is the real EQ killer

I missed the part in the producer letter where it said they’re using the rampage mechanic to determine engagement in this play test. Mind quoting it?
    PCSS and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.