Everquest on slow machines

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Golgoret, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Golgoret Lorekeeper

I want to get EQ running as efficiently as possible on a less powerful machine (specifically, a laptop with a weak-sauce video card, possibly multiple EQ instances). Looking for any possible settings/tweaks to make it run as efficiently as possible. In particular, I'm wondering about the following:

1. Are there any settings in the Advanced graphical settings which you should leave on? Normally on slower machines I just turned everything off, but I am wondering if any of the settings (like "enable 1.1 shaders" or whatever) actually cause the game to perform better when they're on
    2. Does the actual interface (like default, default_old, or any of the other custom UIs) that you use have much of an impact on performance? Or are they all pretty similar
    3. Aside from turning on old character models wherever possible, turning off spell effects, turning background FPS down to 30, and not using the Luclin models, are there any other tweaks which can improve the game's performance?
  2. Yruc Augur

Even the cheap computers now really don't have any problem running eq. the game was designed to run on computers from 18 years ago.. I can and do run it on my work laptop which just has Intel HD Graphics 4600 card and it runs fine on the default settings without changing anything at all..
    Some options you can do are, you can get rid of NPC / PC names above their heads, you can hide all afk players. Turn characters into stick figures if it running slow.

For the stick figures you have to edit your eqclient.ini file inside your main Everquest directory and add / change StickFigures=1.
  3. Geroblue Augur

I am not using a graphics card these days, I just have a video chip in my Win 10 computer. It doesn't handle more than one account logged in very well though. I can just manage to log in a second account and buff a character in GL.
  4. Golgoret Lorekeeper

Holy crap. The stick figures feature was added permanently?!

That's amazing. Going to turn that on for all my box accounts immediately.
  5. Yruc Augur

I never tried it (I will when i get off work tonight, but on Agnarr, when Kunark launched people said they were doing the stick figure thing to click on contested ground spawns for VP keys) So I am assuming it works.
  6. Yruc Augur

Yes still works just tried it. Everyone is a pink stick person with weapons and pets visible. lol :)
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

You can put memory mode to lowest, and /showgrass off, in addition to all of the things above.
  8. Moege Augur

Except drakkin ! apparently they are too high and mighty to become a stick figure
  9. xxGriff Augur

min sky, turn char clip plane down and landscape clip plane down, disable tattoos on draks, turn off bloom and adv lighting, basically every shader option and shadows effect as well. limiting background fps will help, but will also create issues with auto-follow if you plan on running 2 clients. most likely your background char will get stuck or break the tether due to lag. so you may wanna opt for a mage with coth lol... i played/boxed an alt on a very old laptop with turion x2 ATI Xpress 200m with most settings off to minimums, and pre-luclin. it was not great, it did allow me to tag along a shm for xp, buff etc, but as my brother says "the chug sucks".I then played on an HP i7 QM with HD 3000 graphics, and there were drivers that made let me play, although with pre-luclin models (limiting mounts) ok, but found settings to allow game play with new models. this was a single client. EQ is GPU bound, while it does not take much for DX9c, an HD3000 was really bare min. for me. 2 clients? pls let us know how you fare, i am always interested in hardware.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Actually, lowest memory mode can cause additional slowness if the graphics subsystem is below-par. Increasing memory mode increases the amount of graphics data stored in RAM (textures, mip-maps, etc), reducing the processing required for re-calling for graphics data from the game engine.

Adjustable memory mode was intended for people who have very little system memory
  11. Sarkaukar Augur

1. DO NOT UNCHECK Allow hw Vertex Shaders - that needs to stay enabled. hw = hardware. That switch was for same ANCIENT video cards that were missing certain hardware components. Disabling it moves the work from the GPU to the CPU and having it rendered via software.

2. Locate the following or add the following. Change the number after = sign to a -1 (negative one). This will spread the work across all cores instead of being restricted and pegging out one core. Each additional line is for the 2nd and 3rd instance running at the same time.

CPUAffinity0= -1
    CPUAffinity1= -1
    CPUAffinity2= -1

3. Readjust your hotkeys to increase/decrease clipplane on the fly. Some zones can be a pain then decrease clipplane reduces the range of where things are being drawn.

4. Laptops, make sure running on AC power - clear out dust buildup on heatsinks/heatsink exhausts.

5. Power Options, set to HIGH Performance when hooked up the the outlet to prevent aggressive CPU core parking and throttling.

6. There are some notebooks/netbooks/tablets, etc that EQ will not play on due to CPU/hardware.
  12. Iksarrow New Member

Hi all,

I just upgraded from Intel core i5 2500K to AMD R5 3600, new MB, 16 GB of RAM, same GC = RX 480.
    I have now only 1 FPS when lot of people like MGBs spots in pok or GL.
    My active core is à 100% and GC is at only 1%...
    Seeems like I am in software rendering.
    I tried another GC ( HD 7950) and also change the PCIE slot but the problem remains.
    I didnt have this issue with my previous processor.

I launched The Witcher 3 and my GC was at 99%, so the problems seems linked to EQ.

I need some help so pls )'

Manu
  13. Sarkaukar Augur

Did you copy files from the other system? Delete eqclient.ini and allow EQ to recreate a new one
    1. Power Options - set to High Performance (prevents cpu parking/throttling).
    2. Nvidia panel - Power Management Mode, change from adaptive to Max performance (prevents from running on the built-in GPU on the CPU)
    3. Alt J - disable Journal (on by default older accounts, records EVERY npc emote, etc)
    4. Antivirus program - exclude EQ folder/subfolders from active scanning
    5. Rename/delete Log file /log off.
    6. Have a ton of audio triggers? break them up for events - audio issues.
    7. Was a fresh install of Windows OS? 10? by default Windows 10 also updates drivers, sound card and GPU drivers, which can cause all sorts of issues.
    8. Windows 10, disable Xbox DVR
    9. And once the eqclient.ini has been recreated, due the CPUAffinityx = -1. Spreads out the work instead of hogging one core.
  14. Iksarrow New Member

Very TY, deleting EQclient.ini for a new one was enough !!!, I just added CPUaffinity 1 to 4 = -1, but it was working fine without it.
    I have now the best rendering ever seen in EQ ;-)
    I also uninstalled XBOX appli recently but cant really link this to this better fps.