EverQuest: Kingdom of Stone (The Lost Expansion)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dandy, May 10, 2015.

1. Dandy Augur

[IMG]

This is what the artist had to say about this painting:

Does anyone know anything about this lost expansion?
    arbre, Koveras, roguerunner and 3 others like this.
  2. Kellaer Augur

I don't have anything to add except, how on earth have I never heard of this before? I know beta lore that didn't make it into the game for crying out loud, but not a lost expansion?
  3. Iila Augur

2003? Could easily have been what became LDoN. EQ1 was never in a position to scrap an expansion, some zones and content ideas, sure. But throwing a whole expansion away is completely different.

Champions of Norrath came out in 2004, but this art doesn't match up with its limited class/race combos.

Wasn't the 2nd EQOA expansion supposed to be Underfoot? Timeline and theme would definitely make sense for that. Frontiers was late 2003, concepting for a 2nd expansion would be underway. The art is more Luclin/Velious EQ1 than EQOA, but I dunno how much that would matter for box art. It took FV 15 years to look like an in-game character.
  4. Derd Augur

Copyright Notice:
    This image copyright © 2003 Sony Online Entertainment
    Bah.. o well i'll post anyway in case anyone wonders how lila got the year :) on my screen you couldn't really see it without the blow up version, so I went to the original site of the article.
    I'll say this, that is a neat name for an expansion I wish it had been carried thru. Kingdom of stone sounds like a large cave type expansion hmmm maybe it did become ldon. Even though it was not all stone, maybe that became the jumping off point for the change or that they fit it all into existing zones instead of making entirely new land masses for it. Kinda hard to call the ldon zones a kingdom being as spread out across zones as it was.
  5. Iila Augur

Here's the LDoN boxart. There are some thematic similarities, but the above art doesn't match LDoN's themes.
    [IMG]
  6. Iila Augur

I clicked on this thread expecting someone's 13 page long fan fiction about their dream expansion that would require a complete rewrite of the game, and would feature their favorite furry fetish race.

Thanks for disappointing me.
    Mauriac and Dandy like this.
  7. beryon Augur

That looks an awful lot like Sol A.
  8. Kellaer Augur

Is Shadows of Luclin not good enough for you?
  9. Dandy Augur

Somebody I was chatting with earlier was theorizing that this could have had something to do with the Plane of Underfoot.
  10. Iila Augur

Underfoot as an expansion happened in Dec 2009 for EQ1.

Underfoot was also the next planned EQOA expansion that was somewhere around 90% complete when it was dropped due to poor EQOA sales.

The "box art" for EQ1's UF is very different, but it was 6 years later. I really doubt much was retained from whatever went into the EQOA expansion.
    [IMG]
  11. SpamFactory Augur

before LDON was announced there was this interactive web page with a whole bunch of runes. clicking a rune made a single syllable sound effect go off that sounded seemingly like gibberish. If you clicked the runes in an order that pronounced the words "kingdom of serilis" a giant WRONG appeared on screen a clip of the french knight from monty python would play ("now go away or i shall taunt you a second time"). any other incorrect combination on the rune clicking simply did nothing at all.

If you played the runes in an order to say "lost dungeons of norrath" you got redirected to a page teasing the expansion

at the time there were lots of rumours about the next expansion (what became LDON) would be themeed around the plane of underfoot. My speculation is this art is from around that time and there was truth to the rumours, but ultimately they went with LDON.
    Dandy likes this.
  12. equinox23 Journeyman

I remember that rune game! I vaguely remember the dev/person who created it was surprised when players discovered the incorrect "kingdom of sirilis" combination - they hadn't even noticed that the sounds of the runes could make that up until players pointed it out. It was a total accident, iirc. Oh I miss those days - been far too long since I've been so immersed in a game to feel that level of excitement.
    Dandy likes this.
  13. porky Augur

Just a guess. This is most likely the lost storyline of LoY and LDoN's Grozmok stone. The last we heard(2004?) Nedaria was still dying on the Queen of Thorns.
    Dandy likes this.
  14. Numiko Augur

There are plenty of unused zone lines in old world EQ, someone suggested SolA/B and that is a good example having a few... though some were eventually used for SolC

With the use of what back then were called "Kunark Goblins" in the art, it makes me wonder if it was meant to be an underground kingdom under Kunark as well.
    Dandy likes this.
  15. Burdi Augur

Never heard about this, I am feeling very curious about this:)
  16. Kellaer Augur

Want more Kunark, yes yes I do.
    Silv and Sheex like this.
  17. Numiko Augur

thinking about it some more, and looking at the portal in the background... didn't they revamp the Hole in 2003 adding the Guardian of the Seal?

Could be tied in with that revamp somehow as well.
  18. svann Augur

Maybe a book not an expansion.
  19. wingz-83 Augur

FV is a wizard? I thought paladin? Maybe she class changed?
  20. Nniki Augur

Koveras and guado like this.