EverQuest is Looking for More Programmers!

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by JChan, May 7, 2013.

1. JChan Developer

Maybe you haven't heard! We have some positions available for Programmers on the EverQuest team! I wanted you guys to know because I love this game and I hope you love this game too!

Down below is the link for the job posting for the positions. If you're a programmer and have been looking for your chance to get into the industry please apply! We need some new blood and maybe that could be you! So if you love games and want to be a major part of the future of EverQuest click on the link and submit a resume!

Programmer II:
    https://rn12.ultipro.com/SON1002/jobboard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=196
    Ishtass, Axxius and Rtugok like this.
  2. Ishtass Augur

So tempting. Also, props to you guys for implementing the agile process.
    Rtugok likes this.
  3. Rtugok Developer

It was my first real experience with agile, and I have to say I like it a lot, and it works well with this team.
    Ishtass likes this.
  4. Cilution New Member

I would absolutely drop everything and move across the country to work on EverQuest! I grew up playing it, and the reason I learned how to program was because I wanted to learn how to recreate the games I grew up playing. :)

Problem is I have no professional experience with C++. Plenty of Java, Groovy, JavaScript, C#, and general web dev/framework stuff, though. There would be a learning curve, but I'd also have to convince you guys that I could be valuable without that experience already under my belt. Possible? Perhaps... Never intended to become a web developer. Always wanted to be a game developer.
  5. JChan Developer

Having PROFESSIONAL experience in C++ is a strong plus. However, if you have at least a working knowledge of the language (roughly at least a year in personal projects, college, etc.) combined with a strong background of programming in other object oriented languages I wouldn't let that stop me from submitting a resume.

You can't be considered for our positions if you don't at least first submit a resume. :)
    Beimeith likes this.
  6. Cilution New Member

Submitted.

/panic
  7. Forcallen Augur

Can I work remote and work 3-4 days a week?!!!
  8. gcubed Augur

If you get to the point where they interview you, do NOT say that you think VBScript is the wave of the future. Chances are you will have at least one C++ programmer in the room with you and he/she will hurt you for saying that. Also, if MFC is mentioned, your response should be, "Mickeysoft Frustration Classes?" :p
  9. Kelefane Augur

Someone get on the bat-phone and ask Brael to come help out with the game. I think he'd be a huge asset.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Good luck
  11. Atathus New Member

Does SoE often take college interns? Would Everquest be a title that would take on interns still? (If I recall, that's how Dzarn joined the team?)
  12. JChan Developer

Yes, we do take interns. EQ however isn't looking for any at the moment.
  13. Cakvala Augur

Great idea posting this here, I believe you will fine a qualified candidate that will fill this need easily.

I would jump on it if my entire experience and degree wasn’t for Artist/Graphic Design work and not programming!

Now if a position in design pops up! Let me at it!
  14. Caudyr Augur

In my case I'm on the east coast and relocating just isn't feasible for me at this time, heh. *shrugs*
  15. Angahran Augur

Unfortunately my programming skills aren't that recent (Fortran, Pascal, ...)
    But if you need a QA tester to rip the code apart and make developers cry, and you'll let me work remotely, then gimme a call :p

Ang.
  16. Sinhika Lorekeeper

Damn. Except for the game programming experience and modelling tool experience (and I have at least looked at GMax, the 3DS freebie learning tool), I could fill these requirements easily. So could my spouse. Too bad I really can't relocate right now. *sigh* If only this were a work-from-home job...

" A strong candidate will be comfortable with researching complex and / or undocumented systems and be able to produce clear and relevant documentation and also propose suggestions for improving upon or working within those systems."

Heheheh. Translation: "We have over a decade of ad hoc code by multiple developers, each with their own coding style, that was never documented for you to figure out". My favorite kind of software maintenance. Try doing it when the comments are all in Japanese, and they changed the hardware specs at the Japanese end but the documents for that haven't been translated yet. Or the original code is in Fortran, written by scientists who were not trained as programmers and who don't bother to document because the original equations are all written up in their published technical papers, don't you know?
  17. BoomWalker Augur

Well those are listed at preferred..not minimum...so if you bring other strong skills they might be willing to still consider you for the position.
    LOL...yea that is what I read as well...maybe me laugh...because it happens so often...no documentation.

Looking at the job site...there are a number of positions I am sure a lot of people could be qualified for...this position is looking for a minimum of 2 years professional experience. A senior position is looking for 5 years experience. Another is looking for VMware or Hyper-V, SAN, and more sysadmin type skills.

Any of those would probably be met by a number of players in this community. However, I read a site where JChan was interviewed (G.I.R.L. something) where she said that when she interviewed she was overqualified for a position and sort of lucked into getting a position at the right time. So, having too much experience could prevent someone from getting a position it seems.

It comes down to living in San Deigo and the salary for most people. Since it isn't cheap to live there I am told...who wants to move to a new job and be cash strapped?