Eula policies on racism

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shindar The Reaver, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Shindar The Reaver Journeyman

Does anyone know where on the policies is talks about racism to other players ? I have been dealing with another player who has been very racist to a few friends and myself, calling us names referring to the shape of our eyes because of being azn. I thought this kinda of behavior wasn't tolerated and we have even /report name this guy many times saying it then we petitioned it and all we get back is they will look into him for possibly violating our policies?

How is this not a clear violation? plus he follows us around while he spams racist remarks and dispels charm pets plus trains
  2. Shindar The Reaver Journeyman

Would I have better luck bringing this up on facebook and twitter?
  3. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

A long "long" time ago, there were rules against harrasment (ACTUAL harrasment, not 2016 internet-harrasment of the "don't disagree with me!" kind). enforced by the PNP rules. SOE stopped enforcing the PNP years ago though, and DBG has kept it unenforced due to lack of staff.

Right now, the only solution is to just keep sending /reports and /petitions (with screenshots and video if possible) and hope something is done eventually when the 2 GMs we have for the 50 servers across 4 games get time to deal with it.

Aditionally, and the main tool you have at your disposal, is to add this person in particular to your /ignore list. Trolls will keep trolling as long as you keep reacting (or overreacting) to it. Just shrug it and move on.
  4. Brunlin Augur

If you /ignore him he will cease to exist to you. If you are reporting him, make sure that you keep a in game pic of his dialogue to you and your friends.
    SevrinSevendust likes this.
  5. Astley Augur

Don't just use /report.

Since you say he is training you, dispelling pets and such, you need to /petition with all of this information to elevate it to a GM and they can review the logs and take more direct action.

If you have screenshots, or a video of his harassment, you can attach that during the petition I believe, but otherwise note the dates/times that it happened likely, and that should hopefully take care of it.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  6. Astley Augur

The poster stated the person also follows them and dispels charms and trains them. /ignore isn't enough.
    Brunlin likes this.
  7. Gnomey Journeyman

Dorfs are abominations!! Gnomes is gonna build a wall!!!!!!!!
  8. Tachyon Augur

I'd go with /ignore. It's been there since day one of EQ and it's really uncontrollable. People will suck, plain and simple. It's a sad fact of life!
  9. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Report, petition with logs and SS of racist comments, then complain publicly about racially-motivated harassment on DBG Twitter, Facebook, etc.
  10. Ethereal Augur

I feel like in order to get emotionally involved into this topic, I'm going to have to ask one question:

How the heck did they know what your eyes looked like or that you were 'Asian'?
  11. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I opened a ticket in February that still hasn't been responded to so good luck with that petition.
  12. Baldur Augur

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Not to say this didn't happen, but how does someone you don't know in a game where they can't see you know what your race IRL is?

I'm assuming azn means Asian as well???
  13. Zinth Augur

everyone hate those halflings... only half of what the rest of us are!!! BURN EM!!! muahahaha ;-)
  14. Chatoyan Elder

It's more obvious with some people than others, but people who grew up with a particular language tend to make similar spelling/grammar mistakes when typing in English. For example, it's fairly easy to pick out the Francophones in my office just by reading emails, because while they might use the correct English words, they order them the same way that they would in French.
  15. Ambee Elder

I love the threat about posting it on Twitter and Facebook to try and make DBG look bad.

Sounds like you're a bit over dramatic and playing the race card because he doesn't like someone for whatever reason.

There's really no way anyone would know this guy and his friends are Asian.
  16. Baldur Augur

I get what you're saying, but I just reread the OP, and I can't tell what race he is from that. So it's still a little weird how someone in the game knew what race IRL he was. Me thinks we don't have the whole story...
  17. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Yeah, because people who play together on a server never casually share RL details while grouping or something.

I can tell you the putative ethnicities of plenty of players on every server I've been on. Most people, I don't know anything about their real lives, but there's no shortage of people whom I do.
  18. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

People never reveal personal info unless they intend to.

Back when i was still raiding, i made a point in making sure nothing leaked not because i cared about stuff like gender/nationality/religion being known, but because i considered that the fact that i was an attack helicopter, that i praise Cthulhu (/rolls sanity check), or that i lived in Elbonia had nothing to do with the game. The knowledge of such information would not have made me a better raider, or made me acquire more loot in a fair way, or made people suddendly accept my opinions... and frankly, mostly because it was none of people's damn business.

I am sure you could find a few people that told you i live in X country, that i am of Y gender, that i am Z years old, or that i am a fan of W handegg team, but even then that doesn't mean that info would be true, just that they believe so based on the information i might have seeded on purpose.

The op says what i assume means he is asian, and we have as much reason to believe that is his nationality as we have to believe it isn't. As such, the "knowledge" of such information serve no purpose other than to paint himself as a target for stereotypes and trolls that think is funny to harrass people that overreacts.
  19. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

This is dumb, and bizarrely holier-than-thou.

Several guilds I've been in have held real-life meetups and posted pictures on their guild webpages. SOE had Fan Faires, where people participated in events using their characters and SOE's PR flaks posted stuff about it. People meet their spouses in this game, which is something that doesn't happen unless, within a guild, group, etc. people share occasional details about their lives.

You may think it somehow makes you a better of perfect member of your server community that you don't bug people with your RL details, but that's just your personal cup of tea. People in the guilds I've been in know my rough biographical sketch if they care at all to remember it, and in fact I'd argue on occasion that has helped guild cohesion, therefore making us work better together in-game.

People particularly tend to discuss this stuff now that all guilds are on voice chat. People stay up late playing, they play tipsy, etc. Talk happens.
    Haladan likes this.
  20. zekreject Journeyman

Real life racism is unacceptable.
    There are legal consequences for a firm which tolerates racist statements in an environment that it moderates.
    A judge won't really appreciate "he was training me!" But he (or she) will understandably perfectly the nature of racist comments.
    If no-one has replied to your petitions setting out racist behaviour, then my view is that you should definitley escalate this to twitter / facebook. You could also write (an acutal letter!) or email DBG setting out that you are being subjected to racist harassment.