Error Message at Launcher

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Moak, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Moak The Most High

I cab't get past launchpad- I keep getting a message related to this: it says that a file called steam_api.dll is missing-why the hell would i need a steam file when i don't use steam? and how do I fix this?
    *Warning: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 9)
  2. lordgrayhawk New Member

hope you find out and let others know. The message I get is it can't write to it. but then again it is not in the folder. been doing a 1000 thing with support with no luck yet. They claim that I must have a virus but 4 differ virus/malware scanners had found nothing.
  3. lordgrayhawk New Member

after looking into the DB error logs, it says creating steam_api.dll, but then the can not write to error start and stops the download after 10 failed tries.
  4. lordgrayhawk New Member

009c-01:20:25:Creating steam_api.dll
    009c-01:20:26:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 1)
    009c-01:20:27:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 2)
    009c-01:20:29:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 3)
    009c-01:20:32:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 4)
    009c-01:20:36:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 5)
    009c-01:20:41:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 6)
    009c-01:20:47:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 7)
    009c-01:20:54:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 8)
    009c-01:21:02:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 9)
    009c-01:21:11:*RetryWrite: Unable to write: C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll (attempt 10)
    009c-01:21:21:*Error: UnableToWrite - C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/steam_api.dll - http://eq.patch.daybreakgames.com/patch/sha/eq/eq.sha.zs/51/bd5/3a5aa905b736303c7c928091893442a4291
  5. Stewy Journeyman

Having the same issue. Cannot login and I have no virus'
  6. Betenoire Elder

Log all toons out, patch each one individually before you log any in all the way.
  7. lordgrayhawk New Member

lol, no toons/accounts logged in, can't get past the patch update to log in
  8. lordgrayhawk New Member

well. don't go to bay break support for help. bastards will round you around for a week then blame you, like I had any sam this to do with the patch that started this crap. just uninstalled, time for them to kiss my a$$ goodbye. Sony should of never sold this game to such a sorry worthless company.
    toodlem likes this.
  9. svann Augur

Im just guessing, but Id try doing a search in the eqclient.ini for the word steam and if its there Id delete that line. Backup file first.
  10. lordgrayhawk New Member

did search, can not find eqclient.ini, sure they still use that file?
  11. lordgrayhawk New Member

watch the patch progress, writes "creating steam_api.dll" but no file is created so it can't write to it. The problem is the patch not creating the file so nothing to write too. Funny how you can look at post that has little meaning to the game and DEVs are all over it, but problems like this you will never see them.
  12. lordgrayhawk New Member

Well guys, let support run my around in cycles after the mess they made in the last patch. Tried to wait for them to come up with a fix but that's not going to happen looks like so tonight I removed Ever Quest form the computer. Just want to thank all you players that group with me while I was able to play. thanks for the fun, but now its time to say so long and head to World of tanks and AD&D online. Take care all, Prayton of Agnarr is now gone.
  13. Khelban of AB New Member

Support got back to me (after some back and forth). The problem comes from Iolo System Mechanic. If you deactivate or uninstall this program and then just rerun the Patcher (Launchpad), you can get back in without any issues. I am not 100% but I think this may only be for Windows 7 users who have this software. I was told by support that they are working on an actual fix for this issue.

Hope this helps someone. :)
  14. Face_Rollan Journeyman

It is on windows 10 as well
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Apparently that (iolo system mechanic) used to be a good computer fixer upper but recently has been reported to be infected and causing all sorts of issues and at the least instead of speeding up your computer it slows it down. Nice of DB to fix something that is on users side unless they put the business version on their system. :eek: Which would of course account for all the recent issues.
  16. Arraden Augur

I am currently having this issue.
    *ErrorL unable to write to [folder]*

I don't have that the system mechanic installed...

Any help?
  17. Arraden Augur

Issue sorted - support team helped. Was an antivirus issue - avast.