EQs nasty paywall and the dust

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Conq Augur

Your bank has an autobank feature. Drop anything stackable on your autobank button and it gets sent to the stack already started in any of your bank bags. If that stack is full, then your item(s) is going in the first open slot. Yes, it requires some dragging and dropping - 3 or so mouse clicks (less if you shift + left mouse click your stacked items).
    Conq
  2. Evertrek Augur

i agree. EQ has some of the best unique QOL features that no other MMO offer and the devs have done a great job breathing life into this game by fixing bugs and listening to players.

on another subject...TLP tells us we dont want boxers anymore. live needs them i guess and most MMOs now have them but it is an alternative to grouping in many cases (i know some boxers just love the game and also have a main to raid, but it's not common).

Defiant gear had it's day but it really is a lazy way to deal with the few new starting players and doesnt feel like EQ gear to me. how hard would it be to update the stats on low level trade-skill and loot items?

CR is a nice zone, fun to start there but not what TLP tells us we want. same with POK. i like POK when it came out as a quick travel to nexus, but it too became a place to just buff and go. open outcry bazaar was massive lag but a blast.

we dont need to fix the sound, graphics, or UI. they are EQ and work well. a focus group needs to take a risk and see if they can do what they did in 2012 and call back the old players and find some new ones.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There's another feature that may make it even easier.

I use tradeskill bags to gather all those mats while I hunt. For interim storage, I keep them in my bank. What you can do is, pick up the bag from your inventory, and then hold the mouse pointer over the bag in the bank. Then control-click. Everything which already has a stack gets added to, and for those whih don't, a new stack gets created in that bank bag.

Nice and quick :)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Angahran Augur

WTH is a 'paywall' ?
    Is the OP really complaining that you actually have to pay to play EQ ?
    A subscription costs something like 15 cents per day ?
    If that is too much then they have larger issues than EQ.
    Celthon and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Evertrek Augur

really? $.15 x 30 == $4.50 per month. i'll take that deal!!! it's more like $.60 a day after expansion PER account. but a paywall is when a free to play game requires a sub to actually play the game in a none trial fashion (like raids and endgame). i have 3 accounts. i said "nasty" paywall or maybe confusing paywall, due to the many confusing ways it takes to unlock the features needed to raid and play endgame.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

What exactly is so confusing about the current system? Prestige vs non prestige gear? A mercs vs J mercs? Ability to gain more AA's vs not being able to gain more? Ability to use only Rank I spells vs Rank II (there is an unlocker for ftp) or Rank III? Number of character slots? Ability to run a trader/barter? Free 500 DBG cash vs no free cash? Ability to play on TLP servers vs being stuck as ftp on live? Access to most recent content for buying most recent expansion vs being locked into your last expansion purchase or TDS?

None of the above is confusing, misleading or even unreasonable. There has to be benefits behind being a paying customer vs being ftp otherwise what would be the point of paying beside helping to keep the game running and bring more content?

If any of the above is confusing maybe you should be requesting someone from marketing to provide better details into the benefits of being all access?
    Tarvas, snailish, Tatanka and 2 others like this.
  7. Tren Journeyman

One trick I use to sell loot quickly is to store all of my loot I wish to sell in one bag. When it comes time to sell the loot, I select the bag from the vendor screen. It will list all the loot in the bag and confirm if I wish to sell all of the contents. I then agree and all of the loot is sold. Be careful not to do this with an empty bag, as then you will sell the bag, so make sure.

I just went and tested your method here Tatanka, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get control + click to do anything but swap the contents of the bags. There was never any joining together of the items from one bag to the next. Maybe I missed something.

One last note. Using control click, I do sometimes take a 40 slot bag from my main inventory and "dump" it to 4 empty tool boxes in my bank. I hover over the first, control click, it takes 10 items from the 40 and puts them in the first tool box. Go to next tool box and so on and by the 4th tool box, I now have an empty 40 slot bag and 4 full toolboxes with the gear in the bank.
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I feel like this has been said a lot, but it deserves a reminder. No other MMO in the industry gives as much content for free as EverQuest does. By the time you max out on levels and AA's, it's up to the player to decide "do I want to play on - have they earned my money?". Yes, this game is an expense. For those of us that call this game a hobby - what else offers as much entertainment to you as what you get out of this game? I buy the Collector's Edition of Expacs - the clicky to enter the newest content is a major draw for me to pay $80 after station membership discount. I decided to go ahead and buy a year sub this month like I usually do. I could just buy Krono, but I hate bartering with people. I think after discount my charge card was zapped for $119 for the year sub. So, $199.00ish for a year of entertainment. Seems like a pretty good value when you look at it this way. A $60 game is done in 40 hours. Actively playing EQ last throughout the year. :)
  9. NeverPayForLag Augur

always the same.. that is only true for "hardcore" players who raid and can provide these time frames or the typcial button mashers who are used that EQ meanwhile is a kind of action game while the strategic part goes more and more into the background like RoS. Casuals or busy people who are grown-ups/parents/business leaders have other things to do then dedicating an addicted life to a game. There was a time with the age of around 17-20 were this opinion was valid. But meanwhile from my side the last decades changed a lot. So to play this hobby in my leisure time (which is EXACTLY what I mean -> relaxing leisure time) I use different ways to compensate. Like many I ignore the raiding game and be happy with the grouping content with boxing, from time to time solo/molo or the casual grouping game. And I am very sure the many esp. on live servers do exactly that out of the same reason. But we are paying partly much more in that game due to the above reasons. And some who are so arrogant to ignore that should be grateful - we are supporting that game heavily and in the early days without us this game would be history!

If people would be willing/able to see other peoples way of living instead of pressing their limited view of the world on them then perhaps some here could slightly realize why EQ has and should have so many options to play the game. If somebody spends "only" 200$ for that game... sorry... for many this is a joke... spend a box and add the expansions then this is another league...

And I feel too to have said it often enough but it deserves... also again and again the same reminder... because you and some others regularly completely ignore another play style...

P.S.: the calculation is only valid if you expect that the billing system is working properly. It does not therefore meanwhile I have to pay with Krono via Paypal because of the incompetency for the billing handling at DGB.
    IblisTheMage and Jhenna_BB like this.
  10. Intenso Augur

Casters are fine f2p with max as and best non prestige items
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, that's what I'm talking about, what you just described. You have the full bag on the mouse icon (i.e. "you're holding it"), and you hover over the other bag, and control-click.

It just occurred to me what the issue might be. In my bank UI (it's a custom, BigBankWindow or something), the bag icons are all along the top, and the slots appear below that. What I'm hovering over is the bag icon, NOT the empty slots. That's probably the issue. It's worked for me every time.
  12. Angahran Augur

Ah,so the term does not apply to EQ then.
    EQ is not a free to play game.
    It is a subscription based game that has a free to play option.
    Obviously, if you are playing for free you are not going to get all the same features as those of us who pay get.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Funk Augur

This paywall talk is nonsense as far as EQ is concerned. I'm an extremely lazy player who raids about 6 hours a week total, and maybe 6 more hours actually doing stuff other than standing around and I keep 3 accounts gold with no money out of pocket. I rarely put my trader up too.

Maybe this paywall exists in other games but not Everquest, it's far too easy to keep multiple accounts gold with all benefits enabled.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I did think of one issue that would be nice to open up for F2P, and wanted to get feedback from everyone.

So, if you're F2P, you can't get any more AA past the cap (250/1000), which I think is perfectly reasonable. Here's the "however" ;)

It also does not let you get AA in your banked (unspent) AA pool. Now, a LOT of quests have XP rewards which are mandatory AA points, you can't get regular XP from them. Many quests have both regular XP and AA XP, but again, the AA XP can't be unselected/converted to regular XP.

It would be nice if F2P could fill the AA pool, for two reasons. One, when doing quests, you don't get permanently screwed out of the AAs. Two, having a nice big pool of unspent AA might be a good incentive for a player to go all-access for a month, so that they could spend the points.

And, finally, this doesn't violate the F2P approach, since these points the F2P char gets don't do him any good UNTIL he goes all-access.
  15. So Happy Augur

Personally, I think they should make a second- tier (silver like) sub that costs about half the price of a normal sub. It could grant a few more things like increased AA allowance (so many per month), rk2 spells access and a better mercenary (A5 or J1). Maybe an option to buy a limited number of prestige slots for use only while the account is subbed. Probably to much work for limited return but who knows. Before I started playing on test i would sub 2 to 3 accounts for 3 to 6 months at a time but I had several silver accounts that I would have been tempted to sub at a lesser price.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, I think you probably nailed it. A lot of work for unknown payoff. My idea would take almost zero dev time (flip a switch), and would add one more incentive to go all-access, at least once in a while.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Silver and free accounts can buy the AA increaser in marketplace. 100 AA per

When EQ went F2P in 2012 they also offered the "Silver" accounts for $5 - 1/3 off the full price of membership. That bombed. So they allowed all returning accounts to have "silver" status free with a few more things.
    RK II unlockers can be purchased in marketplace for silver and free accounts.

So you can enhance your free account to some extent with AA and RK II. I think this is a good compromise as I am sure they do not want to give away the cow. (that is an old saying - if you give away the cow then you have no milk from the cow to sell)
    snailish likes this.
  18. snailish Augur

In hindsight I wonder if they would have bothered creating a F2P option for EQ at all?
    We don't know the math, though it could be interesting, for example:

-average marketplace purchases per month of F2P accounts
    -what % of F2P turn full-sub for at least 1 month out of 6
    -% of F2P accounts that buy current expacs
    -what % of a live servers (by ruleset) are F2P

The math might show that catering to F2P at all... is purely optics and not a value for Daybreak's bottom line. Of course it could be the opposite too.

What I get thinking about, is that the proper monetization of progression occurred after F2P was deemed "needed". Progression appears to be a much better player recapture and milk some $ out of them mechanism than F2P.

I suppose a real test and/or sense of direction will come when Phinny hits live status. If it stays pay-to-play (appears it will be viable) and maintains the special conditions (arguably could have more added like higher XP, bonus spawns, etc.) it would basically become a modern legends server 2.0 --with no F2P.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Which is beyond ridiculous when there are almost 40K AAs to get. Does >anyone< use this option? That would be a good stat to know.

The other problem with that item is, if you've been all-access before, and have a lot of AA, you need to buy a boat load of these, just to raise your "limit" to where you're at. So, in my case, I'd have to purchase that item 200 times, just to get where I can get ANY AA (in other words, purchase the item 199 times, for no benefit at all). It's way cheaper to just sub, which is why I like the idea of letting F2P build the AA bank. Another incentive to sub.
  20. svann Augur

I do like the idea of gaining abilities by doing achievements. Dicho is kinda sorta this, but it could be expanded.