EQResource 7 days of Anniversary Contests!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rorce, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Zaviere Augur

Damn, I've been more or less busy all week this week, didn't have a chance to see these contests and get in on the earlier ones! Oh well, I'll cross my fingers for this last one.

But more importantly, I would have been so stupid lost without EQ Resource at times over the past 5 years or so since I've come back to the game. Was great to see that there was such a reliable, comprehensive option for expansion content guides when I started playing again. Cheers, guys~
    Rorce and Riou like this.
  2. Rorce Augur

3. WorriedinNorrath Elder

Hey. It's great that Eqresource is hiding Burning Lands information behind a paywall. I suggest everyone who thinks this site is such a great tool for EQ info go check out the greed.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

You are not entitled to their services at no cost. Sooner, rather than later, the information will be available to everyone anyways.
    Kuursed, IblisTheMage and Brohg like this.
  5. Kuursed New Member

Thanks, you reminded me to update my Premium membership with eqresource. I'll gladly pay for the sneak peek and don't expect people to provide research, hosting, etc. for free. Guess if money is tight, folks can wait those two more days for the info when I suspect it will be open to everyone.
    IblisTheMage, Rorce and Riou like this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I vote for you as the biggest tool in EQ! ;)
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. Rorce Augur

Burning Lands information is available to anyone who wishes to log into the Beta server and find it. We do not have any exclusive information that we are "hiding behind a paywall", nor do we claim to.

We've followed the same procedure for several years now. We build our new expansion section in a way that gives our Premium members the added bonus of previewing the information as we build it. It actually takes more effort, time, and code to give this feature to our Premium members than if we were to just gather everything and put it all together at once, and release it on the expansions launch day. We do this as an added value to those who wish to support us.

We've always had our expansion information available to all EverQuest players on day 1 of expansion launch. Every expansion we've covered so far has been this way, and The Burning Lands will be no different.

While we do enjoy providing the EQResource service for all of the EverQuest players, we cannot do so without the website generating some revenue. In addition to the time we have to invest into the site, year round (which is more substantial than anyone who isn't a developer would think), there are real money requirements to keeping a website online. Things such as hosting, domain name, software licenses, and development equipment have an increasing cost. We are very fortunate in that the EverQuest community has been supportive of our efforts, and these costs are currently being covered.

We also run contests periodically (like the ones in this very thread), which have costs associated with them. While DayBreak has been very kind to us in providing several prizes to give out, we purchase some of the prizes as well, and have the cost of shipping for physical prizes. We are very happy that we are able to do this, as we know the EQ players greatly enjoy our contests and appreciate the fact that we provide them!

I'm very sorry that you feel the way you do about the model we have been using for the past several years for new expansion content. I do understand your frustration, but I hope with the information I've given you, you are able to understand our side. I wish you the best of luck in TBL, there's lots of fun to be had!
    Lisard, Fanra, Kuursed and 7 others like this.
  8. Maedhros High King

Worst post of 2018.
    Lisard and Kuursed like this.
  9. Zamiam Augur

you do not have to justify your actions EQR .. you're the best !! and we appreciate everything you guys do ..

fyi im a supporter
    Riou and Rorce like this.
  10. Jetboy Lorekeeper

I won a stuffed Fippy doll last Christmas which cost me nothing not even postage from EQResource. It's sitting on my bed right now as it has all year long!

You folks are awesome...and don't need to explain or defend yourselves on this matter. It's a perfectly acceptable and common business practice.

ps...Fippy needs a buddy, any thoughts??
    Riou and Rorce like this.
  11. Brohg Augur

are you flirting with me?
    Rorce likes this.
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Still want a Nagafen hat.
    Gotcharms, gnomeboss and Riou like this.
  13. AlmarsGuides Augur

I wouldn't worry too much about the haters - I run into them constantly too!

For some reason people expect us to spend weeks of our time writing guides for them for free. What's more, is they don't even think we should be compensated for the cost of web hosting, domain name, software fees and everything else we have to buy to run and maintain a website. Every time I update my EQ section I usually spend 3 - 6 weeks of 8 hours a day working on it. If I were being paid minimum wage, that would be around 3000$; which is much more than my website makes in just one year.

The irony of someone calling us greedy when they're the ones who expect unfettered access to our products/time for free isn't lost on me.
    Lisard, IblisTheMage and Riou like this.
  14. gnomeboss Augur

wtt six months of indentured servitude for nagafen hat. halp.
  15. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Running websites can be costly. A small community forum site is fairly cheap and even free to run if you know where to look, however a big database site needs to run on something that can process large amounts of data quickly. Combine that with storage costs, cdn's, certs, domains and so forth and you're looking at costs that go beyond what any normal wage working person can afford. It's vital for the owners of the sites to attach a subscription model and even run ads to help recover the cost.

I know oh so well how much time is invested into developing new features, bug fixing and entering content into sites. It's a thankless job sometimes. I'm just glad that we still have sites like eqresource, eqtraders and allakhazam and others around to give information to the players. I think it's a small token of thanks to pay a subscription to a site and helps support future development and content.
    Riou likes this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

[IMG]
    Tatanka and Lisard like this.
  17. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Lol, the EQ community makes absolutely nobody millionaires. Riou and Rorce *Volunteer* more of their free time to disseminating information than any reasonable person should expect them to, subscriber or not. I log into beta at 3am sometimes and there's always one of them running around doing stuff, refusing to PL me

Not for nothing, but you're a tool
    Zenyan, Sheex and Lisard like this.
  18. Derresh Augur

an insurmountable paywall that no one can afford and now amazon bought them out making them multi billionaires, good going eq community open your eyes wake up sheeple.
    Zenyan, jeskola and Sancus like this.
  19. Zamiam Augur

I want to throw another shout out to a few other sites that dont always get credit where credit is due..

Fanra's EQ wiki .. thanks for all you do I think i visit your site almost as much as I do EQR..
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Main_Page

Almar's EQ Guide : Although I dont use your site as much anymore I used to use it alot back when I was starting out .. anyone who is just starting their journey in EQ I would highly suggest visting here..
    https://almarsguides.com/eq/

thanks again to all and I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday season ..
    xcitng, Fanra, Rorce and 1 other person like this.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Thanks for the shout out, Zamiam.

Just to mention, people only need to enter everquest.fanra.info into their browser to get to the wiki, much easier to remember than http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Main_Page
    Gyurika Godofwar, Yinla and Maedhros like this.