EQ suffers from what every other MMO suffers from. Unnecessary complexity.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

A new game would be great, but DONT call it EQ.
    Calling it EQ would just be a crutch and a handicap all in one.
    Zeoni and Nennius like this.
  2. Zeoni Journeyman

Agree.
  3. Dwimmerlaike Elder

Original Everquest was great, and it was like high school. I don't want to go back to high school. I don't want to go back to full cr's, tiny stacks of everything, etc. etc. Don't tell me it's super hard when we had Monster Missions, OMM's, now Overseer etc. etc. At least in WoW I actually played my actual toon MOST of the time or more than I did here circa 2006 or so.

The last time this company even attempted to make an original expansion, we got the totally forgettable TBL which was barely saved slightly by GMM. Do you really think they can make a new game?

I have just spent a couple of hours and still blocked on Power Corrupts that helps open up a mission and a zone. Unneccessary stupidity is the mantra now. I don't even understand any logic to anything they do. Your server population levels will show this.

I will tell you what is killing the game. When people come back from a layoff, or come to play new, they can't get groups, and they can't level except by overseer. No one pays to play a game to look at the overseer every few hours. They want to play and experience things. They also can't level without doing progression, and they can't find groups with progression because people out level it, there is no more exp for a 120 to go hunt with a 110, so the new player fizzles out because everyone was like "Yay! More levels and progression based levelling!" (There's no exp for a 120 now in ToV, let alone TBL (which was nothing but suck anyway, I won't touch anything in that)With the now high level of 120, looking to hit 125 next fall/winter, it will be even harder.

So congratulations new player/returning player. Welcome to a game where the grind so that you can actually play is long, ludicrous, and pointless where the developers and community really don't want you back with the way the game is now developed.

Think I'm wrong? Look at your server's population now.
    Brontus, Zeoni and Dre. like this.
  4. Zeoni Journeyman

It's low in EQ2 on main server too. Most people play on the TLS and yes it's low on the main servers with the most Alt accounts not alt toon but Accounts. Most guilds is the main player and his 5 alt on there own accounts.
  5. Hillfriar New Member

I had to chuckle when Pantheon was mentioned. My mind always drifts to the Simpson's episode where a car company lets Homer design it's next car.

Way overambitious and ruined the company.

I sincerely hope it isn't vaporware.
    Iven, Nennius and Zeoni like this.
  6. Zeoni Journeyman

Both Ashes of Creation & Pantheon are doing ok, slow but ok and really there as been 2 MMO that were kickstarted but Failed (Chronicles of Elyria which was a joke how that got Cancelled " They bite off more then they can chew and how tiny that bite was" What you watched in the Video is all they did and done. They started on a top Down Game after that both were PlayStation 2 Graphics this is after they took money for the MMORPG yes you can thank Daybreak Games for that. & Crowfall which Released but is right now shut Down as the Developer figures what the heck they want to do with it. They Focus on PVP as the main base & had their PVE base off of it "Think We will spend the next 8 or 10 hours telling you how to PVP there is no story or anything in fact here a skip to Endgame in the Game. Yes there an NPC in the game you talk to him and your level 25" Pretty much 1 to 25 was Air that again can be skip because of have to teach you PVP. Issue came in when they saw Players Quite at level 25 because even the amount of players PVP were low (PVP was not enough to keep them) ) As Ashes is headed on to the Alpha 2 and Pantheon is Monthly Pre-Alpha for the people who invested into that as they work towards Alpha. Like I said the news of 2013 to 2016 pay way for cash grabs and yes there is a possible that Pantheon will not release as any Game like I said follow the Leader and if your keeping up you know who Lead. 1999 EverQuest started everything and Developers of MMO's followed them. In 2016 They still followed along with the rest of Gaming NFT, Blockchain & Metaverse is Gaming of today. Why Deliver when we can get Paid by Gamers for little work.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pantheon hasn't suffered from a common minefield which is "feature-creep" there are actually very few things that weren't spoken of from very early on so the scope of the development has been quite stable. They seem to be managing to get sufficient funding to keep things rolling & their plan for 2023 is ramping up into more alpha testing. I think things will me moving along quicker this year.
    Zeoni likes this.
  8. robber baron Journeyman

9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Assmongold :rolleyes:
    Brontus likes this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

How can it be the worst MMORPG ever made when it hasn't even been made yet? Does he come from the future?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't hard to make an educated guess based on the information that they have released so far and it seems that they don't seem to think highly of the work that has been presented.
  12. Cicelee Augur

Forgettable? TBL is arguably one of the best expansions we have had over the last decade or so. There was challenge, there was a sense of satisfaction, it separated the adults from the kids. I suppose if someone was terrible at EQ and just wanted easy whack a mole content they would dislike it.

The only thing that was bad about TBL was the necessity of six Plane of Smoke trials blocking progression. Other than that, it was a great expansion.
    Skuz, Windance, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  13. Zeoni Journeyman

He compared Pantheon to the Game he likes and you guess which He will laugh at. Asmond is more Ashes of Creation Camp. He already saying no to Embers Adrift. So anything old School like Pantheon, Embers Adrift , Monster & Memories are a Nope to him.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And he also pointed out a lot of issues that he had with the game as well based on what they had been announcing and had shown so far.
  15. Zeoni Journeyman

Yes but The Developers Said they were Going old School MMORPG (Think EverQuest, Ultima Online & Dark Age of Camelot). Which yes it looks like the Game is Deep in old school and that part isn't changing anytime Soon in fact they are Doing everything they can to keep it. Most of what had been said was it seems Dated before it's even released ( Even though the video he watch was older still think 3 or 4 years back) You want to know how it is, Look up Cohh Video and go well it needs little shine. Comparing Pantheon Vs. Ashes of Creation is Night & Day in fact I like the later better then the first one myself. There times where I can go maybe Cancel the Backing but I'm in to deep.
  16. Heimdall Elder

Remaking EQ as it currently stands would be an economic failure. The only reason the lights are on now is because the development money has already been spent and they still have more subscribers than they have xpac debt/costs.

Daybreak is in the best position to make the next MMO. But they'd need to give up some of the things they've been latched onto - some by choice, some by initial design paradigm.
    Zeoni likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And it is statements like that which give him the evidence he needs in order to make his judgement. There is a reason that most games went away from the style long ago.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Zeoni Journeyman

Well Yes.
  19. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

The next big MMO will need to have a TLP foundation right from the beginning. Before the game even launches, the Dev team will lay out their game's permanent timeline.

-"X" expansions with a description of each expansion
    -Level increases at ___ expansion
    -AA/Similar mechanic increases at ___ expansion
    -All Races + Classes unlocked at launch/New hometowns unlocked at ___ expansion
    -All game mechanics included at launch - This or that game mechanic expanded at ___ expansion
    -"X" events happening throughout the timeline - can keep some information a surprise
    -Server rulesets

Once the final expansion has been unlocked for "x" time, then the server will either restart or a new TLP server will launch. While the MMO is running through its TLP cycle over and over again, the MMO team can pursue a new game. Did the first MMO's lore end on a cliffhanger? Instead of creating one more expansion, the team can continue the lore with MMO2.
  20. Zeoni Journeyman

Yes But It's one Last Round from an EverQuest Developer Before He Died and They want to be Faithful to That. That is what is Hurting Pantheon chances More It's Brad's last Game. Since He was Their Leader they want to Do right by him. Could it all go like his last Game (They are trying to Prevent that by taking their time). This is Why Before You speak ill you have to Look what Forum your in and Go great I guess it's as Close to How this Game use to be as They can Get but it'll be different and yes it's not in Norrath. Like They Said Some are Even Calling it an EverQuest Made Right like it Should of Been instead of How EverQuest 2 was Made. Your Next thing is He couldn't let Go and Sad News is Yes He Held on to it until the Grave. Respect it and Now you know why I'm Holding on knowing 2 things Either it'll do ok or it'll be another Sink But I'm not fighting it how ever it turns out It's More then I'll Ever Get out of Daybreak Games (This is what is More Sad He Die trying to Continue Making MMO's and Daybreak Games Gave up). Yes We may get Exp every Year but that is all we get. Sorry But like I said 1 issue of When We put the Pieces Together it wasn't Fun so we are Giving up to I'll Die Trying. Who better and Which one Deserved the $300 I gave to Daybreak Games and got nothing out of it just to support them. I didn't put $300 ( Way less in Fact only $120) in Pantheon but I would weather Sink then stop trying.