Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kirkisx, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Kirkisx Tunare's Chosen Paladin

if you as devs are cracking down on cheating.. can you please pursue copyrighted stuff.. i know p99 was around for so long but eventually you became affiliated with p99 im sure there was closed discussions about boundaries and such.. i am tired of hearing people taking something i pay for and offer for free
    Astral64, Orbital101 and Nennius like this.
  2. Laronk Augur

3. Sagarmatha Augur

You really need something else to worry about.
    Ryhme, Elskidor and Act of Valor like this.
  4. Kirkisx Tunare's Chosen Paladin

Using something someone else has is copyrighted infringement.. the article you provided would mean dbg would cancel everquest..
  5. Kirkisx Tunare's Chosen Paladin

I do worry about this.. if people stop paying for eq this game dies
  6. Cleaver Augur

Every expansion pretty much renews the copyright for EQ. Copyright laws should be valid if the service/game is still provided by the copyright holder. Once they abandon the game it should revert to open source.
  7. Astral64 Augur

Kill it with fire.
  8. Gnomereaper Augur

Vanguard and even Classic EQ should have kits similar to Neverwinter Nights and other RPG's to allow people to build their own versions of the games and own servers. While the sales of those copies would allow the game to "live on" and still "produce revenue."

Also, there's a Japanese MMO that had a single player version of it's MMO that did alright. It would be interesting if people or the company could build games out of Vangard and Everquest content.
  9. Sobmre Augur

p99 sucks, live eq is much more fun
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

I believe you actively have to defend your trademarks, or they go into public domain (Xerox -> to xerox)
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That one is different and I am pretty sure they did everything they could to defend it. The reason why is because the term xerox became generic and associated with the act of copying itself as much as the brand. The same could be said about search engines on the internet and googling something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

There is a nice Wiki article on the subject.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So, you believe if P99 is shut down those playing P99 will convert to paying subs on EQLive?

If so, you are seriously misled.
    Elskidor and kizant like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

While I understand your sentiment I don't think this will ever happen. Never played on P99 and never will, only accounts I play are All Access on the Live servers BUT if I was so bothered about P99 I would just go play on it. Like you I have no interest in hearing about it but I just tune it out.

Besides which talking about it hear is really promoting it or was that the idea? :)
    snailish likes this.
  14. svann Augur

Yes but TM is different than copyright.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I believe Daybreak still enforces their rights over Titanium Edition otherwise P99 would offer their own direct download. So it is a nice bit of legal finesse (i.e. leased-land property).

I am also pretty sure P99 forces users to download malware (not open source) which will limit any following in addition to the hassle of obtaining Titanium discs.

Basically P99 management wants you to trust them about their detection software:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/project199...ject_1999_dsetupdll_scans_your_open_programs/