EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gladiatoreq Elder

I personally really enjoyed SZ PvP. And to all the naysayers, this server will not be nearly as toxic as the new PvE TLPs. People find a way to make friends and form alliances on PvP servers, or you die, repeatedly.

Unfortunately I don't think that a PvP TLP would really work in this era of modern EQ. In all likelihood, the best geared and skilled players would gravitate towards one guild (just as they did during the 4 Server PvP era). I'm not sure the population is high enough to sustain real competition that folks are looking for in a PvP server nowadays. And who wants to go up against and/or die repeatedly to the one zerg powerhouse guild?
    Kittany likes this.
  2. Ginix Augur

Bootstrutter is the PvP version of Selo
    [IMG]
    Brawl and Tomar like this.
  3. Sterling-Silverfox Elder

I do not think that would ever happen. Wishful thinking though.
  4. Locnar Journeyman

Contrary to popular belife, more roleplaying and better community is fostered by pvp, because you need allies and your (bad) reputation can lead to your direct death. Who remembers fondly the first weeks of Rallos Zek? Why can't the red community have at least ONE TLP server so they too can relive the early days? From the wayback machine, one of my first hunts courtesy of the now defunct old shaman website Bohica's Lair:

https://web.archive.org/web/19991112103249/http://www.tyler.net/boz/menuframe.html

5. Tomar Journeyman

6. Brawl Elder

We understand your opinion Kahna, in fact you're literally just promoting my original idea which is now a year old, with flagging red on Agnarr. Give it a rest mate.

You're here bellyaching on the one current PvP thread about something no one is even asking for (turning Agnarr red). If you're so enthusiastic about encouraging PvPers about getting their own server and forming a community, perhaps you shouldn't keep throwing in your negative and irrelevant perspective on what you think PvPers want, as it's clearly well off the mark.

Tell me, what "work" have you done in-game to promote a server that you've wanted to play on in the future? Or did you and everyone else just come to the forums, post constructive posts similar to this one and have it handed to you on a platter? From what I can see, we're not doing anything different to the PvE population, aside from fending off PvE white knights like yourself.

Considering there is and always has been a far greater PvE population, why do you seem constantly surprised that there are fewer PvPers than PvEers 20 years down the track?
  7. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

The era when games that aren't policed for cheating and bugs in a PvP setting get new PvP servers is over. Zek is there if you want Live. P99 Red is there if you want older content, and frankly has significantly less cheating. I'm not claiming either of those are good servers, but it's a little unreasonable for the PvP community to expect a new server just so they can spend the first few weeks shearing all the sheep who come over from blue on the basis of curiosity. Then the server turns into a ghost town.

Equally improbable, but I think a lot more fair to demand: If /guildwar could be fixed, or if red-blue cross-teaming could be introduced on healthier--i.e. blue--servers (just put a 25 percent penalty on beneficial spells cast by blue players on red players, for instance), that would be a meaningful gesture to making sure the red playstyle could survive without the introduction of new red servers.

There are periodically groups of good people on the existing red servers. Last time I popped into Zek to have a look around, a few old <Ascending Dawn> people were active again, and doing group content. That's the best you can hope for at this point.
  8. Aziuno Augur

Just like every other TLP, the rush and fun is at its best when the playing field is even (no one has great raid gear, or most people have similar gear), so I don't think it's unfair for PvPers to want a fresh server.

Jumping on a multiple year old established PvP server doesn't sound appealing.

I have heard about a few popular red servers, not just p99 that had healthy competition, especially as an underdog .

AoC's indirectly fix alot of the Blue&Red same server issues, when you are in a DZ all toons are blue. In other words, red can group with blues and have 100% benefit for all AoC raids and group instancing.

Group instancing doesn't really pick up until LDON and then DoN+, but it does close the gap some.

I think Guild wars could be fun, but I don't think the "macho racers" would do it. They seem too scared to challenge each other, and instead just make random claims at who is better for whatever reason, (We all know it's Guild Average Resist) or claim to be a TLP mutt that has never lost a race.
  9. Kahna Augur

I played in some of the early progression guilds before progression servers were a thing, showing DBG that there was a market for them. When RF and LJ were highly toxic without AoC's I voted for them by leaving the server and canceling my accounts, I was part of the mass exodus that helped tell DBG there was something wrong and they needed to change.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I don't want there to be a PvP server or I am championing PvE. At this point there are so many TLPs that I would be happy to see the niche PvP crowd get what they want. But you are competing with a couple of other niche crowds so if you want PvP you need to make more of an impression than the other guys. Considering your biggest competition is probably the boxers who are showing DBG they are a market by continuing to play on RF and LJ you're going to have to do more than post on the forums. BTW, I spent a year playing on Sullon zek so it's not like I don't know the game from a PvP perspective, or I am some hard core anti-PvPer.

I am not surprised there are fewer PvP players. I do roll my eyes at the PvPers who claim there are thousands of PvPers out there waiting for a PvP TLP. I'm just saying that if there really is a population of PvPers out there that is big enough to warrant an entire server, then there is a population out there capable of demonstrating that to DBG.

I didn't say you should turn Agnarr red, I said it was a viable platform to create a PvP sub-community. I don't understand your hostility to the suggestion? If you could get people together, even if it only ran for 6 months or so, it's still improving your chances of getting what you want. AND you get to PvP while doing it. I made a constructive suggestion as to how you could move closer to your goal, all be it one involving a fair amount of work and organization, and you would think I was insulting your mother, the way you guys responded.
    Meridian likes this.
  10. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Agreed on all points, although I think it's tough to sell DBG on a fresh PvP server because it's only a small core of players who will stick around. The majority of the playerbase will be so incapable of competing with established PvP players that they'll leave. And this doesn't even take into account cheating issues. Not to say that blue TLPs don't lose population, but red servers would probably lose it faster.

The emulated red servers, if we're thinking of the same ones, are generally event-type servers run by Red 99 veterans. They have been successful, but they also tend to treat EQ a lot more like a Quake arena than most EQ players are interested in. Having played PvP-oriented games, I have to say that the best thing about EQ PvP is that it occurs in context. If everyone in the game is just opting into every possible PvP encounter all the time, that context goes away and it becomes any old poorly-tuned PvP experience.

I would be absolutely shocked if big TLP guilds actually did guildwars against each other, were it possible. But it would be fun to watch! Suddenly, the tiny minority of experienced PvP players on the server would be the most sought-after guildmembers in the game, as ringers to help win the guildwar.
  11. NinjutsuMMO Augur

i wonder if having a cap on guild member size would stop the snowball effect of one guild getting larger than the rest and dominating the server...

or at least seasons that dump all toons onto one server after a year or so...
  12. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I wonder if you think Necro-Posting all these years old threads will help your case in getting a PvP server this March.

I have news for you: Whatever server they plan to launch in March is already decided most likely, so going back and reviving old PvP posts isn't going to help your case at this point. I have no problem with whatever they want to launch, even PvP. But I think digging up all these old posts is the wrong way to go about it. Its not like they are going to look at the TLP forums and go "Wow look how many PvP posts there are! We should do a PvP server!" when you can look at the date of the original post and tell its one or two dudes going around and digging them up from obscurity.

I hope your strategy for PvP is better than your strategy for getting a PvP server, because if not I feel kinda bad for you.
  13. NinjutsuMMO Augur

I could open new threads if you like but I prefer to expand on ones that I’m interested in and that’s my choice. Thanks for your strongly worded opinion.
  14. code-zero Augur

It’s quite simple, if you want PvP then make Zek populated and prove your point with action and not forum posts.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The only way I could ever see EQ PvP actually being workable is by way of some team-based PvP mechanic...

PvP in EQ with it's massively imbalanced classes is simply unworkable & far too toxic, when you can create wizard murder squads or Shadowknight murder squads because those classes can all focus down 1 player so fast they cannot reasonably defend themselves that isn't fun, that's pure unmitigated gank & is what drives players off PvP servers.

Squad based play works in games like shooters, balance could possibly be found in an EQ PvP setting by way of forced through group composition, i,e, you cannot be red unless you form a group of at least 5 players with a set class distribution & then either choose to go red in open world or some form of arena competition where you can then fight other red-flagged teams. but that kind of system is going to take a lot of developer time this game & team currently cannot afford & in all honesty this idea still does not suit the current EQ1 game, spells, combat abilities or engine as those were all built with PvE in mind to begin with.

If it was going to be done I think it would be better to create a standalone EQ PvP game from the ground up built around squad based PvP where all teh abilities could be tuned properly for PvP combat.
  16. markkk Lorekeeper

yes dbg make 3 tlp servers in march a boxing one a non boxing one and a non boxing pvp,maybe the pvp one could have a special ruleset called kill the bot armies, the only way i can see a pvp tlp server being successful.
  17. Hdizzle Augur

My biggest complaint about EQ pvp is two fold.

1: There is no objective. In other mmo's there are objective based pvp things to do along side open world pvp. Most objectives take place in open world anyway. EQ doesn't offer that aspect of PvP. Not saying it isn't amazing to go pwn a few lowbies here and there, but theres nothing to balance it out.

2: OP hit the nail on the head, eq PVP is about content control. The issue however, is everything that has been to done to Everquest TLP servers are moving away from a PvP environment. Picks, AoCs, watering down all the spells people grief each other with... aka all the sh_t you use to control content on a PvP server Lol. Its fun to remember things from 20 years ago, eq pvp servers are one.
  18. Machen New Member

Original EQ pvp did very much have an objective. The content was the objective. There were guilds that were able to completely dominate their servers and lock everyone else out of content. Massive pvp battles took place for guilds to obtain their first Emperor kill and gain access to Vex Thal, or get into the elemental planes for the first time. Guilds would fight constantly over access to Temple of Veeshan. Or controlling solb long enough to get your first cleric epic as a guild. Earlier on, on the team pvp servers, factions would control entire zones--good luck getting into Guk unless you were a dark, hordes of enemies would pounce and drive you from the zone.
  19. Warpeace Augur

Wonder how Zek is doing?
  20. Vexn Elder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.