EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machen New Member

Is there a better way for them to evaluate the potential popularity of a classis start pvp server?

They have a lot of people playing live pve eq... They have absolutely no one playing live pvp eq. They have lots of people playing pve tlp's. Given all of the above, it seems reasonable to conclude that if they launched a pvp tlp, it would probably end up with absolutely no one playing.

Keep in mind the arguments that were made for Agnarr from p99, and look how that turned out. So I don't think you can get there from a few hundred people playing on p99 red.
  2. Branntick Augur

3. Hdizzle Augur

Yes they should have a vote across every server for two weeks... jk lol

Idk if there is.. Its just blatantly transparent they gave themselves an easy out by saying well if this impossible thing happens we'll consider it. They should just be direct and say it will never happen.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Only reason EQ2 got a TLP PvP server is one of the devs offered to do it in their spare time (see the EverQuest Show interview), probably because they simply couldn't justify doing it under normal circumstances.
  5. Alarizod New Member

As far as PvP goes I think PvP Teams (Tallon/Vallon or Sullon styles or some sort of mix) would be the best bet. It simply just attracts the most people. Pure ffa-style red is often too chaotic to attract new folks. People seem to be more inclined to help new folks if they are on a team together.

My dream would be only two teams. Forced (i.e. no Cross-Team interactions). Good vs Evil (no neutral). Either race based or deity based... don't care. In a 3-team style one team ultimately becomes a super underdog (i.e. like a third party candidate).

As far as item vs coin vs no looting... Don't care either way. Both have their pros and cons. But I think people are more inclined to play longer term with no looting as no drop items and quickly getting naked makes for it becoming ridiculous.

As far as level range... I think on a team style server there does not need to be a level limit range as you would imagine that your own higher levels can come save the day from their higher levels. It made for awkward situations when I played on Tallon Zek when a level 30 was killing the 22s or when a level 20 was killing level 12s... and a level 50 rogue friend could not do much to help.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If EQ were to create an RvRvR style PvP experience I could get on board with actually trying that out myself, but I think that would be something better invested in an EverQuest universe game where an RvRvR PvP type game could be built from the ground up.

PvP in EQ was only ever about some classes enjoying the ability to pretty much obliterate a bunch of others & there was never any fairness or sportsmanship involved as the competition was never balanced for classes properly, the abilities classes had were designed from the ground up for PvE - that just doesn't work in a PvP game, never will.
  7. code-zero Augur

A faction based PvP server would be cool. By that I mean you can only PvP based off of relative factions. Good faction with Freeport Miltia means you are PvP with Knights of Truth.

Should someone manage to fix faction across the board they’d be immune to attack and no longer PvP. Make bard faction song count!

Probably way to difficult to code but the people who are full red can’t go into any city or trade since to do that they’d have to have kos across the board.
  8. Maneuvre Augur

9. Runes Augur

The thought is that a pvp server is not viable and of interest to enough people to warrant a new server, you need to stop asking for one and prove that the interest is there.
    Why don't you get together with a few other die hard pvpers and create two guilds on a blue server and go red and show Darkpaw some real numbers of people committed to pvping.
    Relying on past glory day servers won't cut it now so make the effort yourself and demonstrate the proof of concept. Organize a mass pvp event between two guilds.
    If you cannot generate enough interest to start a few guilds now then forget trying for a brand new pvp server.
    It's in your court.
  10. Maneuvre Augur

It's been done. Go back and read the Tallon Zek 2.0 post buried a few threads down, I think page 2. But in case you missed it, Mangler and Selos each had a PvP guild. Want further proof of concept? Look at the RoZ 2.0s and the Red99s.

But instead this happens:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. Umul Augur

They can't get players to stay on PVE servers past GoD… No percent change they stay on a PvP server.
  12. Runes Augur

And there you have your answer, one PvP guild that couldn't last shows you the reality and negligible interest.

There are better and more suited games for PvPers than EQ. Very stupid anyway because there is no reward or achievements to work for.
    You may as well just stand in middle of ec tunnel or some other crowded place and put up bets to take on all challengers and just duel.

That's as close as you are going to get nowadays for EQ pvp so enjoy.
  13. code-zero Augur

Creating red guilds on blue servers is useless. You have been told what the devs require to prove your interest so do that instead. Just because you are of the opinion that it's "apples and oranges" doesn't change the requirements
  14. Machen New Member

Still not even close to true, no matter how many times people repeat it.
  15. ECrack Augur

What I can't understand is why carebears get so bent out of shape when it's mentioned. Like, you fear the possibility of it happening? *trollgrin*
  16. ECrack Augur

Maybe you're too young to have played EQ in the first couple years, it was definitely a thing kiddo. =)
  17. ECrack Augur

Lets be real though. A PvP TLP would get more people than Miragul. *pew pew*
  18. Machen New Member

If that's the standard, they should just shut down eq right now.
  19. Stagentti Augur

Keep saying PVP is profitable with 0 data to back it up.

PVE is profitable. That's why they made PVE TLPs.
  20. PVPme Augur

The PvP server had lots of players back when EQ was in its prime. No reason people who enjoyed playing it that way shouldn't be able to have a server to call home.

PvP in MMO's is also very popular so the data is there. I just think Daybreak doesn't know how to implement a PvP server properly and it scares them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.