eq options editor not picking up graphics card

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ashtorroth, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Ashtorroth New Member

I have been struggling with this one for a while.

I play on a laptop with an Intel 4600 integrated graphics card and an Nvidia 870M (6gb).

When i start everquest, and go into the options editor, the only option it's giving me is the Intel card. When i go into the eq directory and click the options editor exe, it only shows the Intel card.

I have no problems with other games, even other 15-20 year old games.

- I have changed all my power consumption settings to max perfomance
    - I have set the nvidia control panel to globally use the nvidia card.
    - I have set the nvidia control panel to use the nvidia card individually for each game
    - I have added the launcher AND eqgame.exe to the nvidia control panel and manually selected that they run with the nvidia card
    - I have right clicked on eqgame.exe and set it to run with nvidia by default.
    - I have uninstalled and reinstalled every video driver on my system multiple times and tried older drivers.
    - I have tried disabling the intel card in the device manager, but eq will still not pick up the nvidia card, and the game ran at 1fps :(

Where does OptionsEditor.exe "look" for your hardware? there used to be an .ini file that showed this, but i have gone over ever. single. line. of text in every ini file in the eq directory and all ive found are the lines for what models you use, resolution options, ect.

This problem does not keep me from playing the game, but man it sure would be nice to be able to take advantage of my hardware. I have researched this problem for months off and on, hoping to find a solution, but 95% of what i found, was just changing settings in the nvidia control panel or disabling the intel card from the BIOS. There is not even an option in my PC's BIOS to do this (probably something to do with HDMI port integration on the motherboard)
  2. Meulaar New Member

bump

I am having the same problem on my ASUS ROG laptop with GTX 880M
  3. Kruler Journeyman

Had the same issues for 2 years with a couple of different laptops when i was working abroad, this and a number of other issues started my long term hatred of laptops and all things containing the word "integrated".
    The only true way is a BIOS disable along the same lines as turning off motherboard sound devices to run a plug in, because disabling via windows doesnt stop it trying to take over at random points, but if its not an option as you have said, then it involves a more in-depth approach but this varies between certain windows releases, and yet again can be randomly overwritten......... Hence I HATE integrated parts of any shape,size or colour.

May personnel solution I ended up with was the smallest pc I could build and a suitcase and it traveled with me to some very craptastic countries and served me well in very strange times.....To this day I preach the amazing toughness of the first Sabretooth motherboard.
  4. Kruler Journeyman

Sorry another post, thought bubble, does your laptop have Nivida control panel, if it does look at top area where it says file,edit etc etc and select desktop, then tick display GPU activity in drop down, then go to "Adjust Image with Preview" the select "Use the Advanced 3D image" then next to that there should be a "take me there"...........................pause have a drink there is more.

the go to manage 3D settings, switch from global settings to program settings, the click ADD>browse>then find the EverQuest(eqgame.exe).

Once added 9 items down is CUDA-GPUs using the drop down box you should see your card tick the box so global setting and other tick box both are ticked normaly its just the first tick box, then apply,

Now run Everquest and then open the show display items you did earlier, its on task bar near clock, it will now tell if Everquest is using the Nvidia card.
  5. svann Augur

I believe it really is using the card. I saw this problem using a laptop and tried everything (including nvidia control panel) to force eq to use the graphics card. Eventually I looked at task manager and it appears that the card is seeing usage even if the eq setup does not seem to see it.