EQ on satellite internet

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aurastrider, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Aurastrider Augur

Hi all I am curious how well EQ runs on satellite internet. How many toons can someone realistically play at one time? The wife and I are looking to move and most of the houses we like don't have high speed internet outside of satellite which seems rather slow compared to what we have now.
  2. Lisard Silly

satellite internet was a pretty horrible experience. playing EQ on satellite internet was also pretty horrible.

but after a month or 2 of using satellite internet you will learn to adapt to the delay lol
    Scornfire likes this.
  3. svann Augur

From what Ive read Elon Musk hopes to have a mass of low earth orbit satellites that should greatly reduce latency within the next few years. Project already begun.
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If you're not raiding, you can probably get by.
  5. Uumdano Augur

Living in the country for many years has lead me to deal with this problem, over and over. Currently I am using a ATT wireless connection that comes with a landline phone for $100/mo for 100 gb of data. The speed is the best I have found to date, they will also offer you direct tv basically for free, all told for both it is like $125/mo. due to paying for the equipment over time.

If you are considering sat internet, I would look into this if you are not using over 100gb a month. Sometimes I get close and have to tone down my use, other times I am well under.
  6. Derresh Augur

EQ is probably one of the only games that will run on satellite, you'll be playing with 1000+ms though. Had satellite internet once and it was awful, would sooner scribble memes on the walls before going back.
  7. Targin Journeyman

I just recently moved expecting to be able to get cable internet (in the country but not that far) however Sat was only option. I occasion run the bard's laptop on it but it is pretty unplayable and if I didn't just use him for the buffs it wouldn't work. I average 400 - 1k pings it is a very noticeable delay between hitting melody and have songs start to land, but it works once its going. My main account on the desktop I use my verizon phone as a hotspot and works pretty well. Ohhh and contracts, generally I'd suggest avoiding satellite like the plague, it is next to useless and that is with clear weather.
  8. Aurastrider Augur

Thanks all this is pretty much what I had figured. I might have to look into the hotspot thing. The house I am hopeful we will get is only 4 minutes away from my current home but just on the edge of city limits. Great cell service so I might have to look into using my Verizon phone to play.
  9. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

T-Mobile is starting a wireless internet service as well. Have not tried it though.
  10. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Periodically I find myself on a 4G LTE verizon hot spot where I can comfortably 3 box.
    tyrantula likes this.
  11. Uumdano Augur

I used to go to a Cricket store, the guy there understood my problem and used to 'hack' old phones for me so I would get unlimited data using the hotspot. Inevitably the company would catch on and we would have to swap phones out, many times.I got so tired of swapping out and he began to run out of old traded in phones that it became apparent I needed to find another alternative.

I am pretty happy with this ATT home wireless service minus the 100gb part. Again it is the best I have found and easily much faster than anything I have used in the last 20 years of being online. It is a bit pricey at $100/100gb but if you are looking to be legit with any other company, it is actually much cheaper as all other phone or satellite plans do not offer this amount of data for this price. I know, Ive shopped and shopped and shopped, even looking into third party re-sellers such as cyberonic rural internet, etc. Again in that $100 price you get a land line phone service too that is connected through the wireless device which may or may not give you the option of dropping any current cell phone. I never was a fan of cell phones so it was actually a benefit for me to be able to drop my Cricket cell.
  12. Aurastrider Augur

How much data would you say EQ uses per hour if you can even guestimate? Would 100gb last a whole month of just EQ? I will probably only be averaging 10 hours a week if that and I don't know if I will be able to box my normal crew without high speed so this might ultimately be the end of EQ for me until there are better options available.
  13. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

When I used to raid from the work van (Don't ask) I recall it eating up anywhere between 100-250mb per raid for a 4h raid. 100gb should be fine for a month, the biggest problem if you're wanting to raid is the bandwidth limitations, you'll have to turn off quite a few things to keep it playable, but it's doable. Can be frustrating, but still a hell of a lot better than satellite
  14. Uumdano Augur

Oh yes, and then some. You could prob play 10hrs a day if you wanted of just eq. Where you will really eat alot of bandwidth is watching movies or downloading updates to the games you play. I just recently re-downloaded EQ, it was only like 10-11gb! I had to wait till the new cycle though as the prior month I was too close to my limit, I had been watching movies and other stuff that ate up the bandwidth.

So yeah, just EQ you will have way more than enough and the speed is really good in comparison to cell phone hot spot connects. At least in my experience.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I had to use a similar solution for 10 months (internet connection through a USB device that runs through the cell towers). It wasn't good, but I was usually around 300ms. Satellite never worked for me. (my 2 cents)
  16. Aegir Augur

Satellite and very slow connections still work. They just won't work with Launcher, so you will have to bypass launcher to get into EverQuest. I also highly recommend you turn off any Roaming apps etc. while playing - You basically want EverQuest being the only thing to use your very limited bandwith.
  17. Ceffener Augur

EQ itself does not eat much bandwidth...usually still sitting under the 56kbps range. Personally I was on a 28.8 until 2007, Satellite Internet from 2007-2011, and then 3G usb device from 2011-2013.

All of these I have raided on in era.

4G Hotspot or DSL would be better, but it’s all doable for EQ. Satellite is going to suck for a lot of other things though.
  18. Uumdano Augur

All sounds very familiar. The ATT home wireless I am using actually has a ethernet cable, which of course mine does not work. So I am using a usb device as well which can affect the quality of the connection and speed. I have been meaning to upgrade but I just never get around to it, the speed has been so much faster than anything I have ever had in the country that is far and away more than I need for any sort of gaming I do. No issues d/l multiple videos at the same time too in 720p minus the risk of running over the 100gb.

I was paying the Cricket guy $60 a month for unlimted on a cell phone w/ hotspot, with this I took the Direct TV deal too so I am paying twice as much as I was. It is not hard to justify with how fast it is and of course the tv service which I have not had in 10+ years allows me to do something else if I need to kill time when my data is close to the limit.
  19. Thunderkiks Augur

I cant speak for satellite but I use my phones hotspot. I drive a truck so it's what I have to use. I have no issues using that. MS usually sits around 160.