EQ Next!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Evertrek Augur

2. Riou EQResource

It would have been canceled
  3. Zamiam Augur

I only watched about 5min of the video , but honestly for a game for 2020 if it comes out which I doubt sense its only in alpha stages .. and people have been talking about Pantheon for a few years now I think.. I was not impressed with the environmental graphics granted the game is not finished but the ground and the tree's even the bat didnt look all that great.. jmho for a 2020(1) game that has been in development for years ..

I put up with EQ's graphics cause ive been playing EQ sense the beginning so I understand a bit why EQ's graphics dont get updated to much or often and I'm fine with that .. However the newer games that come out for PC or Consuls I expect alot more from them and frankly I have serious doubts that Pantheon will deliver ..
  4. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Looks pretty cool, but how many EQ players have $1,000 to spend on 30mins of the pre-Alpha, before Beta, not quite ready, no guarantees, cross your fingers, MMORPG_GoFundMe games?
    At least they don't spend player money campaigning for the game. [IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Very, very meh.

No disrespect, but Pantheon fails to impress me once again.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Elyssanda like this.
  6. minimind The Village Idiot

I'm cautiously hopeful.
    Cydonia likes this.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

To me.

EQ > Eq next & Pantheon. I'll be playing eq til they servers go down.

Andarriel
  8. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I have been click-baited, that wasn't EQ.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I honestly expected to be greeted by Mister Astley.
    jeskola likes this.
  10. Leigo You come here often?

I got you
  11. Febb Augur

It looked like a hobbyists that's into 3d modeling from about 10 years ago decided to post his project. That looks terrible.
  12. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I was really excited for Pantheon 2 years ago. Some Rasper fans raised money to get me an alpha level pledge for my birthday so I could work on a guide, two years later and they still haven't moved beyond pre-alpha. Needless to say my interest is waning after all this time with so little to see and even less that I'm excited about (climbing? so real-world dexterity checks? ugh)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  13. KermittheFroglok Augur

Okay, let’s get real this project just isn’t going to be what anyone wanted and it’s more likely to become vaporware.

Timeline recap:
    2014: Failed Kickstarter goal... given Shenmue (with a smaller player base) could meet its goal and Pantheon (with EQ’s bigger base) couldn’t, it’s safe to say there wasn’t much demand for this.
    2017: pre-alpha finally announced
    Late 2018: We’re all told it’d be in alpha by yearend. Not only did they miss this deadline, they’re still on pre-alpha doing tests like this THREE YEARS later.
    2019: Brad McQuaid dies. Big issue, his design philosophy for EQ was what had the game’s supporter excited about Pantheon. They now have a failing project and pressure to deliver. Let’s face it, this translates into ditching McQuaids vision for whatever style game will be cheaper to produce and make enough revenue to appease investors.
    2020: People have moved on. Frankly, I’d rather see DBG relaunch Landmark and spend money on Landmark, than spend money on a failing startup’s attempt to salvage Pantheon to save face with its investors.

I’ll pass, Pantheon was a cool pipe dream for a year but has failed, sorry to lay it out.
  14. svann Augur

I will definitely give it a try. Not paying in advance though.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'm still completely floored that anyone, no matter how much disposable income they have would give a company a grand to have pre-alpha access to a video game that may NEVER come to see the light of day! That's amazingly stupid to do. And some have given ten grand LOL.
  16. Zamiam Augur

:eek:
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Fools and their money...
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The graphics from Pantheon Alpha (2020) looks comparable to Champions of Norrath (2004).

Pantheon is too late to the party. Epic's Unreal Engine 5 will be out by the time Pantheon's Beta is released. Unity is bound to follow. Moorgard made an interesting comment on Azaliil's Twitch: Kingdom of Amalur (of 38 Studios), even if rebooted (by THQ Nordic), would be severely outdated.

On the other hand, you have Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 with current hardware (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti) unable to run it at like 75% settings. That game was built to last.
  19. Iven Antonius Bayle

Ashes of Creation is the successor of EQ Next, not Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.
    Alot former EQ and EQ Next devs do work for AoC (and also for Pantheon I think).
    But only AoC will be a sanbox MMO just like EQ Next.

There are always new graphic engines when games do get released. And there are even games that do not have a graphic engine at all and which are more than 20 years old that still get played by alot people. Graphic is way overrated. It was the inventor and creator of the Ultima game series, Richard Garriot, who announced in about the year 1998 that future games will rely alot more on a good storyline and good quests than on other things as there are technical limitations.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Another company charging a ridiculous amount of money for "Early Access"... no thanks. Not as bad as Pantheon, but still ridiculous.