EQ Locks Up When Logging Out

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Canute, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Xavens New Member

Was this issue resolved?
    I am having very similar problem. Using Win10 on 3 different machines, play primarily in full screen mode. *ONLY* on my MSI GS65 Stealth laptop, if I am in full screen mode when I camp, the client locks up at a black screen before reaching character select. It will not allow me to pull up task manager (I can start it in the background but not make it my active app). The only way out has been to restart the machine. Then when I go to log back in it locks up on the same blank screen prior to character select. Resetting my eqclient to "Windowedmode=TRUE" allows me to log back in (before I figured that out I was uninstalling/reinstalling).
    How can I fix this so I can play full time in full screen mode?
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I get a black screen that is frozen or locked up immediately after I press the "LOGOUT" button.This happens on Windows 10 machines, all three of my computers. It only started happening after the patch. All my computers are using recent model Geforce graphics cards.

I go into the Task Manager to disable EverQuest but it doesn't help. I end up having to restart my computer.

This is happening on the Mangler server.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm still having this issue as well and I don't recall seeing anything in the pach notes to fix it.
  4. Warpeace Augur

So to reproduce this.

EQ Button
    Camp and quit
    takes you to character select screen
    select Quit
    takes me to a black EQ screen. I play windowed.
    only way to close is the X in top right corner or task manager to close it.

This is on FV server and Emarr, could check others but its consistent enough as I play and camp out with different accounts resulting in a black screen that hangs until you force it to close.
  5. Slayan Journeyman

When I go from Character select to exit all's I get is a black screen
  6. Malbrowncoat Elder

Same problem here. Been like this for a bit. Seems to happen after being in the game a while.

Jeff of Tunare
  7. Wovel Journeyman

Has anyone found a solution on this? Just got a new computer and made a fresh install of EQ. If I:
    • Go to full screen mode
    • /camp
    • Push [QUIT] button
    It will put up a blank window that is frozen and the only way to resolve it is to shutdown the computer or sign out.

If I do not edit the ini file to change WindowedMode back to TRUE then I will not be able to get back in the game. It will freeze in a similar way when going from server select to character select (with character select never appearing).
    If I switch to Windowed Mode before camping everything works normally so far. While this is a serviceable work around, it would be nice if there is a setting somewhere that will make it work right.
  8. Sinjax Guild Master New Member

Developers are you going to fix this issue or acknowledge it in someway. I also have this same problem. Why has this issue not been addressed, seems to me that it affects several players.

The game / machine locks up after trying to camp out in full screen mode. You can get to character select screen then as you go from character select to server select it freezes. Yes you can restart your pc to close it out and you can control / alt / delete and then "sign out" and then log back in. That will allow EQ to close and to try and log in again.

The only way to get back into the game from this point once this has happened is to go to log in screen, log in, get to server select and then "alt / tab" to force it to windowed mode. Once its in windowed mode you can try to log in from this point. Still even after attempting to get into windowed mode it can still hang up on trying to log in and will freeze game / machine.

From there you are either logged in if it made it on first try or you need to repeat the process, log in, go to server select and then " alt / tab" to force to windowed mode. Typically after 2 forces to windowed mode from server select it will load up.

You can now play the game in windowed mode or even switch it to full screen and play. Once done you have to log out in windowed mode or it will freeze for sure after you have exited character select.

Please explain, I am sure several people are listening.

I am running Alienware M17 (stock) fully updated and Windows 10 fully updated, if there is a known Alienware & EQ issue that is causing this, that would be wonderful to know.

Good Hunting
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a player support forum, what that actually means is it is a place for players to ask for help from other players.

Daybreak Games Support is the forum link below Player Support one on the front page- the link takes you to the support website where you can raise a petition / service ticket with the customer support team.

If you want help from the Darkpaw staff you will need to either write out a petition requesting technical support, or if you believe it is a bug write up a post in the bug forum - if other players have the same issue they can like your bug forum original post to bring it up the list of things to look at.

This is likely a systems issue affecting your particular configuration of machine as a lot of players are not experiencing this issue right now that you describe, the petition route would likely be your best route to a solution unless another player with sufficient technical knowledge knows a solution to your issue that they can share with you.

Things I would suggest that you try until you can get help:

Run a file check from the EQ Launcher
    (HOW? - https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...73-How-do-I-validate-game-files-in-EverQuest-)

Download & install a fresh copy of Direct X 9c
    (LINK - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429)

Download & install the latest C++ runtimes
    (LINK - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads)

Check what Graphics hardware you are using & uninstall the old drivers & re-install the latest WHQL drivers for it or a new copy of the current drivers if you already have the latest ones.

Additional note: There has been an issue with the Client not loading the server list after exiting the character select screen that arises & gets fixed periodically over the past few years of Everquest but that sounds different to the issue you are still having.

Also as a last resort you can write a polite PM to the dev quoted below perhaps, make sure that you give them these details:

Character name
    Server name
    Date of crash
    Time of crash