EQ Investment: Illusions > Global Chase Loot

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It looks like most players are moving away from chase loot (Ice Encrusted) due to the major stat bump in CoV group gear. I think many players expected IE loot to stay relevant for 1-2 more expansions. Is it safe to say the best asset to invest on EQ are now tradable illusions (Heritage Crate and Prize illusions)?*

Ice Encrusted items could remain relevant if the "Prestige" tags are removed.

*Granted this is a game and these are pixels.
  2. Slasher Augur

The next expansion is likely level 120 and will have new ultra rare/chase loot that should be equal to COV raid T1.
    Fenthen and Benito like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

On Bristlebane lots of folks are still hawking Ice Encrusted stuff. It seems to be selling and with the upcoming patch the huge jump in stats with CoV T3 gear will be a bit slower in coming for most folks. Point being that it still will likely have value for the next 10-11 months. After that, who knows?
    Benito likes this.
  4. DruidCT Augur

If only....
    Benito likes this.
  5. Maedhros High King

Who in the world thought that Ice Encrusted was going to stay relevant for 1-2 expansions? It was the same stats as old raid loot when it first came out, and it did not drop often enough to warrant any kind of serious interest. This stuff was totally off most peoples radar because to most people, it did not even exist. No clue where your statement about moving away from it comes from. You can't move away from something you never had. Why in the world would they remove Prestige tags for the couple dozen of these things that have even dropped? These items have raid focuses, for the very few people that have them, if they can afford to buy chase loot, they can afford a krono to use it. Total waste of time.
    Coagagin, Fenthen and Duder like this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Let me clarify. CoTF (Blue Tower), TDS (Iridescent), EoK (Sky) chase weapons (and some non-vis) stayed relevant for 2+ expansions each. With the exception of non-weapon TBL chase loot, chase weapons still beat group weapons at least 1 whole expansions in. I, and many players, likely expected at least the IE weapons to have sticking power. (Luckily, I did not invest in IE weapons and only kept a few but, based on the prices being charged, there was an implicit expectation).

The issue is largely the leap of CoV T3 group over TBL raid (mentioned in other threads).

In theory, it would benefit their RMT/Krono market to have at least the weapons stay relevant for 2+ expansions.
  7. Maedhros High King

I think you are forgetting that the EOK ultra rare loot (not chase) was a carbon copy of what was then current raid gear, and the weapons just changed from purple to blue. Those were an incredible gift to group geared players, and a big boost to raid geared players bank accounts. I made a LOT of krono selling EOK ultra rares when it was current.
    The ultra rares from TOV were carbon copies of TBL raid gear, so we were already going in with older(relatively) ultra rares this time around. That should make it obvious why they did not have the staying power of the EOK ultra rares. In fact, even at TOV release, the group TS gear was so easy to attain and comparable enough to those Ice Encrusted that when you factored in the abysmal drop rate on IE, there was really no market for it. If I am being honest, they don't even deserve having this conversation about them at all.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am aware. I agree that the inflection point was TBL raid as a slight upgrade to ToV TS T3 group. You admit to cashing in on EoK rares (which could only be made possible by my point).

This is an age-old argument ("casual access to raid loot" at least since EoK). I see it from an academic standpoint (not invested in chase loot but, admittedly, worried about illusion prices).

The issue is global chase loot may help the value of, and increase the circulation of, Krono. Without chase loot, Krono may not be purchased at all or be directed exclusively towards LoN and Heritage crate items (illusions, mounts, familiars, teleports, etc). This may explain why more players are aggressive at cross-server pricing and purchasing illusions over the last 2 months. We'll be observing the market effects this year.

With widespread awareness of the new item tiers, I expect future chase loot to go no higher than 1-3 Krono (with possibly the exception of certain focus items - EM, Aggro, Geomantra). You would be a fool to charge or pay otherwise in this new paradigm (obsolete chase weapons within 1 intermediate expansion).

Many may hate on lasting chase loot but they serve a purpose: inflate legal RMT market, increase Krono supply, and provide game revenue. If you buy Kronos in-game to pay for All Access (on Live servers), you'll want chase loot with staying power.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Let me also be first to say that I dislike the aspect of chase loot where it encourages botting.

At the same time, I am worried about the direction of Krono as a result of obsolescent chase loot: possibly higher platinum prices per Krono and inflation on Heritage Crate and LoN items.
  10. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I think the chase loot lacking its luster this expansion would have been less noticable if we hadnt also combined it with moving away from the Cultural -> Conflag progression in favor of making containers upon containers.

We're missing the level 111req 115rec crafted set that would be between snowsquall and veiled. (Where Snowbound is the 110-115 version in the Castaway/August, Seblisian/Conflag, Snow/X pairing)

Some of that has been me buying, copying it to test for the accounts I'm not going to buy expansions for, and flipping it. Bristle has been better than FV for a lot of the 110 stuff.
    Benito likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't have a battle hamster named BOO!
    A pet Gnome called Gnoo! would be okay, den I can punt it at da mobs and it can bite all them ankles har! har!

Too many achievement rewards are only 1h or shield or bow ornaments *shakes fist* I no use dem, where is da 2 hander fings, why I get no reward, Ogre no happy, Ogre smash puny weapon ornaments into bits...

Not enough recipes dat use Gnome, I am bored of Kebobs, need more fings I can make from Gnomes, how bout Gninger Beer? Made with dem rare orange Gnomes dat burn in da sun & wear black pajamas.?
    Benito likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

A lot of these convert to other weapons. As a wizzy I use 2HB and I know I have a few different once from achieves slung in my bank to rot.
  13. Vizier Augur

Every few expansions they make a Tradeskill set like Velium Threaded that is both accessible and best in slot for group gear. There's no need for the chase loot outside of the odd piece that folks chase after for higher raid focus (EM ear for example).
    Fenthen likes this.
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The chase loot creates an awful lot of Krono purchases. If you're budgeting places Dev time is best spent, budgeting time for chase loot are labor dollars well spent.
    Benito likes this.
  15. Zolav Augur

They need updated chase loot each Expansion, why they do not is beyond me.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

If you want raid loot, you should have to raid for it. Enjoy what you have. Sheesh.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Chase loot is the tide that raises all ships.

Without items for Krono purchase, you won't get increased Krono supply and stable prices.

As an example, Krono on EQ2 hover steady at 9 million platinum. This reality could be EQ1's paradigm soon.

I will say that we all dislike pay-to-win but select, modest chase loot (4 non-vis items, etc. per expansion) can spur the market on.