EQ Client freezing by monitor standby

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rowlen, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Rowlen Journeyman

Hi all,
    since shortly I allways have my EQ Client freezing when monitor is switched in standby / or off.

I googled a bit and found some pother people having same problem, but no solution yet.

Anyone have any hints how to solve this?

Regards, Rowlen
  2. Aanuvane Augur

I frequently encounter this now too - and the new extreme is a recent development for me. I have long suffered from freezing one or more (I typically have 3 - 4 accounts logged in at once) accounts when I am not actively out playing which in itself is annoying, but now it's more extreme. All accounts are freezing and if I've been away long enough, my PC goes to sleep. When I return, the EQ "windows" are still there, but they are all frozen and I have to use task manager to exit them (or reboot).
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Can't you guys put the setting to "never sleep" on your monitors and pc?

After all its not like the old days when the game graphics would be burned into your monitor screen if you leave them on.
  4. Aanuvane Augur

I can - it's just that's not the only reason I'm freezing - it's just a recent development.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Freezing games are almost always graphics driver or graphics hardware related.

What are your system specs? OS version?
    Is your computer clean? Graphics card fan/heatsink clogged with dust/hair/pet dander/human skin?
    Drivers updated? (chipset, graphics)
    Any other system issues? BSOD, random reboots or crashes?
    How many displays? What resolution?
    How many EQ sessions are you running?
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Standby / hibernation mode are not online-game friendly, they usually work fine for software that relies only on pulling information from your pc's data storage, not so for anything that relies on a stream of information continuously flowing between your computer & others over a connection.

Changing the power settings is your first port of call so that the PC is not suspending while you are still running EQ. Next look at your screen settings and alter them too, your screen going on standby should not affect the game so its probably the power settings causing the freezing since these will also switch displays onto standby mode.
  7. Razzy Journeyman

Hi, I realize this is an old thread but just in case if anyone have this same issue. I had it and it turns out if my default sound output is set to monitor's HDMI (can also be via DisplayPort) and If it goes to sleep, EQ clients would freeze after wakeup. Once I changed it back to my sound card, all is well.
    Maginus and Metanis like this.