EQ Buff Level Restrictions

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Aiona, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Aiona Augur

Oh, brain fart... I listed the wrong end of the range. lol

Let's try that again:

Buff Level Requirements
    Max Spell Level : Character level required to land spell
    50 : 1
    51 : 40
    53 : 41
    55 : 42
    57 : 43
    59 : 44
    61 : 45
    63 : 46
    65 : 47
    93 : 61
    95 : 62
    97 : 63
    99 : 64
    101 : 65
    103 : 66
    105 : 67
    107 : 68
    109 : 69
    111 : 70
    113 : 71
    115 : 72
    117 : 73
    119 : 74
    120 : 75

I like it. Updating the OP.
    Fanra likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Doh I did not realize this.
  4. Nniki Augur

I figured I'd bump this and just say, it appears to me that these numbers simply follow this pattern:

min target level =
    if (spell level > 50): (spell level + 30) / 2
    else: 1
  5. Brickhaus Augur

Sort of ... the gap between player level 47 and 61 ... you just kinda have to know those end points.

A level 80 spell starts working at level 61, but your formula puts it at level 55, which is wrong.

But it is a good rule outside of that "weird" zone.
    Nniki likes this.
  6. Nniki Augur

Ah, I missed that. I didn't realize those ranges were represented with how the data was displayed. I got the impression they were omitted as unknowns for some reason, so I just compared the numbers listed side-by-side assuming the rest followed the same trend, but I see the formatting was discussed later in the thread.

In that case, I wonder if they started off with that formula, added an if (spell level > 65): 61 condition in there with Omens of War and possibly forgot about it, noticed at some point (in time for the Veil of Alaris level cap increase since it rejoins the formula), and then reverted back to the formula.

This cover everything?

if (spell level > 93): (spell level + 30) / 2
    else if (spell level > 65): 61
    else if (spell level > 50): (spell level + 30) / 2
    else: 1
  7. Bernel Augur

As people are leveling up past 120, please do so some tests with 121+ buffs to see what levels they land on so the chart can be updated.
    Fanra likes this.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

There's a hitch.

One prime example-

Swift like the Wind. Enchanter buff. Lands on level 1.

Cast by a hybrid class, the same exact spell will NOT land on level 1. You can not just claim spell soandso works on level soandso. The caster class matters tremendously.

I believe ALL hybrid level restrictions should be removed to match the primary caster's version to avoid this. The hybrid class not getting the spell until later is burden enough. WHY penalize the lower level player and deny Swift Like the Wind from the hybrid? It makes no sense.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Oh and my 63 BST recieves level 85 buffs just fine in the afk pile, it's why he's parked at 63. He has a Unity on right now.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

depends on caster class archetype / prime or hybrid. Rangers cast duid spells at the level the RANGER get the spell, not the druid level for instance.
  11. Bernel Augur

There was a discussion somewhere else I saw where it was said it matters what level the spell is for the caster when determining the buff level restriction. There is no internal, fixed level for a buff spell. For instance, Swift like the Wind is a level 47 spell for ENC and 63 for SHM. That means it counts as a 47 spell if an ENC casts it and counts as a 63 spell if a SHM casts it. So ENC can land it on a 1 but the lowest a SHM could land it on would be 46.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

So much this-

Remove the hybrid restrictions TO TARGET, there is already a restriction on what level the hybrid caster GETS the spell. This should be the base.

ANY class who can CAST the spell should be able to target any player the primary caster could.

Free the noob buffs pls. It's friendlier to-

Noobs and those who play them.

It is utterly a joke to have to log off the shaman to bring in the enchater to cast the <exact same spell>!!
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

what i'm sayin'
  14. Bernel Augur

I can cast a level 121 buff on a level 75 character.

While in beta, I came across a level 76 character. I was able to cast level 125 buffs on them. But I'm not sure if that's the way it works on the released servers.
  15. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

I agree but lore-wise you could just say the chanter is naturally better at casting that spell. Like druid vs ranger, or pal vs cleric.
  16. Brickhaus Augur

Remember that this thread is in Players ... players (only) helping other players.

Any arguments made to/for the developers should be made in another forum in a separate thread ... at least if you want it heard.

And no enchanter will ever cast Swift Like The Wind on a low level toon ... they will use their Epic 1.0 ... which is just better and lasts longer.
    Aiona likes this.
  17. Bernel Augur

It looks like 77 might be the level where the 124/125 buffs will land. When I was 76, I wasn't getting those 124+ level buffs from the MGB pile. Once I turned 77, I started seeing the 124/125 buffs on me.

In my personal testing with buffs I can cast, this is what I've found:

121: 75
    122: 76
    Aiona likes this.
  18. Aiona Augur

Updated to include the quoted info, since it is all I have to go on -- if we find any further info, please let me know and I will update again! :)
    Bernel likes this.
  19. Brickhaus Augur

Can confirm that a 75 can get 121 but not 122 buffs and a 77 can get 125 buffs. I'm tracking down a 76 to check that one ... but it certainly looks like the pattern continues.

Edit - tracked someone down in Old Commonlands. 122 and 123 buffs landed on a 76, but not 124.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I specifically keep a level 61 beastlord to grab alts at 40 and get them groupable with 85 because a 61 can wear all level 85 buffs sets.

Caster level is NOT the only factor. Ask any hybrid who gets the same spell later than the true caster. This overrides the simple caster level vs target level scale.

Only one class can cast Swift Like the Wind on a level 1 player.