EQ Bandwidth

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brohg, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Brohg Augur

I've never been in a position where that was a limiter on my EQ user experience, but there are those more intimate with EQ's net traffic than I. Could one reasonably play EQ with a data-limited sort of access, like via a mobile hotspot? how quick would raiding eat up a plan like that? would setting filters against others' log data trim that?
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Remember EQ started as a game which could be played on 28.8kbs dial-up. There is not a ton of information that passes between the servers and the client. I would say it is considerably less than what streaming a movie would over the same period of time.
  3. Brohg Augur

tons less than movies/etc, yep. whole different scales. but bandwidth usage has crept up as anti-haxing measures have come in, and as EQ's own complexity has crept up
    Fanra and Prepared like this.
  4. Moege Augur

uses about 5kb/s so lets see that works out to 17mb an hour.
    1gb would give you 60 hours or 2.5 days of not moving from your seat :eek:

Logging in/retrieving characters etc spikes a little bit so lets be generous and allocate 10Mb for that. So no moving for 2.4 days !

Above excludes patches which is not really that big either. Last one was 60+ mb if memory/eyesight is not failing me.

* All of the above is approximations and not to be relied on.

I used 54 MB for last 4 hour session according to my latest logs, somewhat more than my 5kb/s rate

54MB 4 hours
    48MB 3 hours
    162 10 hours (was in pok, which is absurdly busy on FV /strangles multiple bards singing)
  5. Thunderkiks Augur

I play from a mobile hotspot in my semi. I raid and on a normal month I use 3 gigs. There isnt a way for me to separate out EQ from my other activites so that 3 gigs is all my usage.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  6. Zolav Augur

OMG I thought that hotspot crack last night was a joke lol.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  7. Thunderkiks Augur

Lol, no. I'm an over the road truck driver :)

That said it's sad I have less lag than some of the people at home. I also run in only 6 states in the middle of nowhere. Iowa to Montana and back.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

Awesome.
    On a laptop, or have you made some kind of special setup with screen and keyboard?
  9. Thunderkiks Augur

I have a steering wheel desk. Also put a TV tray table in between the seats for my mouse.
    IblisTheMage likes this.