Epic Bottlenecks: Permacamped

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hingabe, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Demandred Elder

"So wait, you have less time to play than someone who is able to do these things, and you want the same reward. You want to spend less time doing something, and get the same as someone who puts in the time / effort into a task"

Well said! Can be said for so many elements of this game they are changing. My current job is 70hrs a week, which has been a nice decrease from my previous job where 400 hr months were not uncommon. I rarely get to use a double exp because its on a weekend and my days off are Thursday and Friday. Being nightshift 75% of the time I do get to come home at odd hours and log in a check a mob, and its shocking if you log out at the spawn, and check 2-3 times a day for a solid week theres a good chance you get it(except for Gorenaire).
    Still managed to do any epic I've tried and cap a few toons AAs.

As for those who say timesink does not mean challenge...that's something the devs have disagreed with since 1999, I mean for pete's sake its ALL about the RNG. I would love the option to have a fully functioning instanced of any zone at my disposal but those are dreams. In reality without RNG the game is so linear you may as well tune up FF7. I cursed and swore too getting stuck on Eldrig the Old for 5 days or gathering impressions for cultural augs taking over 5x the required kills, those are the breaks. RNG tells me someones gotta suffer...but of course I've seen people claim rng should be changed too. Why play at all then?
  2. Sinestra Augur

The devs aren't always right. They are wrong very often and have often changed their minds. The devs from 1999, who don't work on the game anymore, had a lot of ideas that didn't work for today's EQ.
  3. Everstorm Augur

The biggest design change came between Planes of Power and Gates of Discord when all major raid mobs were put into instances. Up until PoP pretty much all raid mobs were contested. Epics 1.0 are of course pre GoD, 1.5/2.0 post GoD.
  4. Sinestra Augur

Yes and at that time many people were still going back to do epics, there was competition. The only competition for them now is farmers. I also lived through all of it so I'm not sure your point.
  5. Duron99 New Member

Ok enough is enough the epic 1 is really worthless once ur 65+ so lets just agree that killing Phinigel 12 times in a row and still no spine is ridiculous and should drop on the first kill for everyone so at most its a 12 hour camp instead of 6+ days and no drop!!!!
  6. Dre. Altoholic

The difference is that up until PoP it took entire guilds to kill these mobs, so your competition was limited to a handful of guilds. Today, any one of 1000+ characters can single-handedly take down multiple static raid mobs that have 3-7 day respawn timers.

With enough time, free accounts and dedication, a single player could effectively hold down every single one of these mobs on a server. Or heck, a handful of players could even permacamp them on every EverQuest server.

They need to drastically increase the spawn rate of these mobs, by a factor of 20-50x in some cases.
  7. Treesong Elder

Just yesterday I heard a warrior ask in general chat who was camping the golems in Fear, just so that he could have a chance of looting the Ball of Everliving Golem for his epic. I felt for him.

Maybe we should compile a list of items needed for Epic quests (and maybe a few old school, other quests) that are now unattainable due to the mob being overcamped for whatever reason. Certainly the items that are now no-trade could be made more available since they do not even serve the economy.

Maybe if the devs would get a clear list of items, and possibly a suggestion of how to make the item more readily available, they can find time to change it.

Here is one: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2272 I would say, put this one as a random drop on trash mobs.
  8. Raptorjesus5 Augur

(Prior to the augs) I never understood the need to complete the 1.0. It's a useless reward for every single class. Nobody is still doing crushbone belt turn ins for useless rewards, nobody does stein quests for useless rewards? Never understood why the "epic" was any different. If it wasn't arbitrarily named "epic" nobody at all would even care.
  9. Hatsee Augur

Slow proc, heh. :(
    Sinestra likes this.
  10. Zaxamaphone Augur

Yeah.. gotta disagree here. Just because you never do something doesn't mean there isn't a whole lot of other people that are doing it. Lots of players go back and do these, as you call them "useless" quests. The epic 1.0 quests, for the most part, are very enjoyable and give an insight into the depth of the lore in EQ. Even if you don't get into the lore (which I never did) they are examples of quest writing at some of it's finest.

The same goes for lots of "useless" quests.

While the item rewards may not ever be used by the player that obtains them, they do provide a real sense of accomplishment. I've spent years collecting nearly every illusion item my Bard can equip. There is no "use" to these illusions, but I get enjoyment from them so to me that is their use.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Dabrixmgp Augur

Just buff all the mobs up to raid mobs again. That gets rid of all the solo perma campers and also makes them a challenge. Also get rid of multiquesting.
  12. Sinestra Augur

It also destroys the risk vs. reward.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

14. Dre. Altoholic

Raid named in DDD/GGG don't drop loot from their tables. Also only available for a brief time of the year. Nice if you're a Shaman I guess, but folks tend to leave the broodlings up anyway.
  15. CrazyLarth Augur

I am sorry to hear that i was playing a shaman is why i thought the other stuff droped also. bummer sorry for the bad info.
  16. Zahrym Augur

Not really, even on fippy/mayong/vulak it took a group to kill most things...the only reason raids were even present was to secure the 51% kill credit. The only things you couldn't really group were current content raid things like Tormax, AoW, etc. Vindi, Phinny & things like Venril Sathir were groupable from day one with the right group.
  17. Dre. Altoholic

Fippy/mayong/vulak were after PoP :) Didn't some of those have defiant gear also?
  18. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Of which nobody ever does, because they aren't arbitrarily named "epic."
  19. Zahrym Augur

Fippy and Vulak did not have defiant. They were done with post-change monks. However I distinctly remember killing phinny and VS with 3 ppl when kunark was current.
  20. Dre. Altoholic

Current as in the year 2000?