Epic Bottlenecks: Permacamped

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hingabe, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Sinestra Augur

A few epics are still quite useful to those classes and some classes they are almost mandatory. There is more reason to attain them than OCD or ornaments.
  2. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

honestly any toon I have ever made I felt that at 46-50 lvling stopped until epic 1.0 was done. and the same thing 65-70 for 2.0

Lets be honest the only real issue is PoFear and really simplest solution would be to remove all non no drop/quest items (ie AoN and prolly some misc drops I'm forgetting about) from 1 of the golems, put every epic drop form the golems/CT on his table, and put him on a like 5 hour respawn)

wouldn't take much time and would solve the huge issue PoFear drops are.
    Tegila likes this.
  3. Silv Augur

Specifically 1.0? I suppose the res stick is nice. I know some classes like Necros need 2.0. The 2.0 is a lot easier to get than 1.0 though. Which other 1.0 are still quite handy (serious question)?
  4. Tegila Augur

ranger slow-stick for one

and not everyoen waits til theyre 80+ to do these, a lot actuall y do them at level-appropriate times with the intent to use them
    Sinestra likes this.
  5. Tobynn Augur

A lot? The last time I saw a raid of level-appropriate players targeting epic 1.0 content was about a dozen years ago.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, KC13 and Silv like this.
  6. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

I am actually a voltron style amalgamation of 5 level appropriate players and as such I call you out on your claim.
  7. Silv Augur

A single group of "level appropriate" toons would still not be able to take down many of the Epic 1.0 mobs. While insane gear and buffs may make it easier, I don't know how you'd manage quite a few of the epics.

Clear PoSky with a group of 60s? Fear (freshly repopped)? Hate? CoM? If you are able to, then that is awesome but I really don't think that would be the norm which is what Tobynn pointed out.

I get asked for buffs constantly in the guild lobby and all around old content and know a lot of people with alts- I have yet to see an instance of someone using an Epic 1.0 in a level appropriate fashion. Does it happen? I'm sure there are circumstances. I think that suggesting it is the norm would be a little naive.

They should just add "Epic Raid" currency to the game. Go kill named/raids in old world zones and get points to buy highly contested epic pieces.
    KC13 likes this.
  8. Bartlesen Lorekeeper

Bottlenecks should not be removed for the following reasons:

1. This would really put a cramp in my plat farming timers. Why should some random player be able to just camp something without me having the opportunity to squat over a bucket camping golems and dragons while Johnny B Officedrone works for a living? That's simply not fair, after all, he has a real income and he can easily pay me to get what he wants.

2. I have Stockholm Syndrome and other players should suffer because I had to.

3. Players getting something more easily than I did ruins my enjoyment of life. What good is having a flashy item of limited use be when others are also running around with it? Things like this keep me up all night, sometimes to the point where I can't function until I find an unoccupied vehicle matching the model and color of my own and key it completely. Then I can sleep soundly again for a few weeks until the voices return.

4. Epics are already too easy! I was able to do mine from 1.0 to 2.0 in the space of a few days, so why can't everybody else? I suffered too. When I went to KC to check on VSR, he despawned RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and regular VS popped. I was so upset. I had to wait an ENTIRE DAY to go back and do my turn in. This was a scarring experience, but I feel I grew from it, as will you when you finally find get both halves of your paladin book. Video games aren't supposed to be fun, after all.
    KC13, Sinestra, moogs and 2 others like this.
  9. Anglesy Elder

I recently came back to EQ about a month ago and decided to roll a new cleric for the first time, currently sitting at 62 w/ about 150 AAs in all elaborate defiant and just did my epic, which was the first time I had done the cleric epic and had no issues with anything about the quest. I probably spent about 20 in-game hours working on it, but now I have a new weapon that is still pretty level-relevant and looks pretty and feel accomplished(plus I got my swimming up to 180 going back and forth through TD!). I'd say I got by pretty easy, the only real help I had was running around Skyfire clearing the zone trying to get the pearlescent fragments to drop. All the mobs for it were easily molo'd with a tank merc. I really don't think anything needs to change about these. Not everyone should get one, otherwise it wouldn't be special. If you're not willing to dedicate yourself, then equip yourself with other, less exclusive items.
    Silv likes this.
  10. SpamFactory Augur

bad example to give and then conclude that nothing needs to be changed.

the cleric epic WAS changed (twice) into a triggered spawn which is what people in this thread want for other epic bottlenecks as well. the cleric epic used to have the most highly contested bottleneck of them all.

If the cleric epic was never changed the final ragefire fight would be a 5 day repop rather than spawned with those pearlescent fragments you had to farm. he would be just as hard to find up today as fear golems, old world dragons, and most other non-instanced old school raid content.
    KC13 and Sinestra like this.
  11. Fenthen aka Rath

The problem with original Zordak Ragefire was the fact he spawned inside of Nagafen's lair (where Naggy is) and only spawned after Lord Nagafen was slain. Once they moved Naggy/Vox to level 52 or under, it would require a huge raid force of twinked alts to go camp a Cleric epic.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Sinestra Augur

People kill Naggy and Vox all the time, it wouldn't be hard to wait for them to die.
  13. Fenthen aka Rath

Back then it was.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. SpamFactory Augur

The problem with zordak was his respawn time. They moved him to skyfire in January 2002 but he was still a 5 day highly contested spawn that caused so much drama on every server that they had to change it AGAIN in September 2002 to the triggered spawn version we have today.
    Sinestra likes this.
  15. Leerah Augur

This. It's not as if there's 4 classes standing by to loot Phinny based on what he drops. It's competition. Many druids don't even think about the wizard they are hurting when they kill VS just to spawn VSR.
  16. Leerah Augur

BTW, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but server resets no long reset at least one old world dragon that I know of.
  17. Silv Augur

This has been in place for a LONG time if we are thinking of the same thing.

To those who like to go so blatantly overboard with their sarcasm- yes, you're right! I take great joy in knowing that your 1 day played Enchanter alt can't get their Epic 1.0 ornamentation for purely aesthetic reasons without any sense of accomplishment or pride. Your argument is like saying every junior varsity swimmer should be entitled to an Olympic gold medal a week into training. You have an unjustified sense of entitlement.

I do agree the stuff in Fear should be altered because the quest item drops on farm mobs- that is just a bit unfair/silly since they will never address the larger problem of plat/item farmers. Just allow anyone on the correct stage of the epic quest to be able to get the quest drop/mob spawn in the "Fear Itself" zone or instance. For any of the other mobs... no sympathy. Go get your snow shovel.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Maybe it's just my server, but I hardly ever see anyone asking for any Epic quest pieces that are the main "perma" camped ones. Actually, I see people announce that this or that is rotting in X or ask if anyone needs Y from Z in general far more than I even see anyone about drops or epic mobs.

I am betting that if the people looking for the epic drops from these contested mobs were to ask around in general or ooc for the items in question they would eventually find someone who would be willing to multi-quest it for free when possible.
  19. Shillingworth Augur

Items like the frost covered and burnt books really need to be moved to mobs we can spawn when ready for them. I began my epic before SoV was released, didn't finish until after DoDh was release because of those books. Went on and lead I don't know how many Naggy and Vox raids just to loose the roll every single time they dropped. By time I was able to solo the dragons in Kunark I was out there at least 3 times a day checking if they were up, didn't see so much as a dragon's corpse. At one point I even sent petitions begging for a GM to come spawn one for me, of course that didn't work but was worth a try.

Ultimately I wound up staying up until I passed out at the keyboard multiple times just to catch them up. Each time was at least three to four days of no sleep and minimal food and drink to minimize bathroom breaks. Got sick a few times from doing that. When I finally got the books I was literally crying with joy because of how much crap I had to go through just to get them.

Honestly I wish I would have just given up way back when I realized how rare it was to find any of the dragons up. It would have saved me so much grief. My advice to anyone wanting to do an epic that requires such a drop, just don't do it. In retrospect I am not at all proud to have done all that just for a lump of data that will some day be erased to make way for newer things.
    KC13 and moogs like this.
  20. KC13 Augur

Precisely why my Paladin will never finish his epic 1.0. Absolutely refuse to pay 25K to a farmer for the book....