Epic 3.0 err 4.0

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Tappin Augur

With all the new evolving gear, I believe it’s about time we get a new upgrade to the Epic line. I always loved the original epic’s usable effect was different for most classes with their upgrade from epic 1.0 to 2.0. I hope they (developers) continue that tradition and give us unique usable effects for all classes. My question is:

What usable effect do you want to see on your favorite class’s new epic? For my cleric I wouldn’t mind seeing some sort of group HoT spell. What do you think?
    Kase likes this.
  2. Sobmre Augur

what a great idea......again......

Ask yourself
    is this a good idea?
    would players love this?
    would it bring people back just to do it ?
    would it make money for the game?

if you answered yes on 3 or more then the devs will say no.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is the 500th thread about continuing the epics.

I'll try to tell you why it isn't going to happen.

1. The epic quests take so much developer time to do. If you want zero new raids in the next expansion in order to have epics, that might be possible. However, I don't think that is going to fly with most players.
    2. Epic weapons lock players into one weapon. Necros for over a decade have been stuck with their epic and have not been happy to be stuck with an ancient obsolete weapon.
    3. It also means there is no point in having new weapon items in the game, since no one will use anything other than their epic, unless it is worthless, which means it is not epic. Epic must be the best or it isn't epic. Why would anyone use anything other than the best?
    4. So if there were epic weapons, they would need constant upgrades to be worthwhile. Every expansion would need to upgrade them.
    5. While I hate having to switch gear for different mobs/events (I am not Malibu Barbie!), the ability to have different weapons for different events/mobs has some validity.
    In a perfect Norrath, the developers would have the time to create "epic" weapons and other gear. They don't.
    Skuz, Andarriel and Zynt like this.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think the RoF class specific items were the best model we could hope for in a future expansion. One generic way to obtain them but a unique reward for each class.

Design them like TBL chase items to require legwork to evolve them and be an item you will use for multiple expansions.
    Cydonia and Fenthen like this.
  5. Zynt Augur

Nec epic is getting "nerfed" next update. Adjusted is a better word since it was part of the dot consolidation plan from the get go. Once you reach level 100 it no longer has any benefit at all. Personally, as a Nec since launch, I am relieved to give up the stupid thing finally. It's around a 15% sustained dps loss but we gained far more than that from the dot revamp. I plan to play EQ1 as long as it is around, just like I have been since '99, and I for one never want to be tied to a piece of gear for as long as I have been tied to the epic. Epics should not be reintroduced for all the reasons Fanra listed above.
    Skuz and Andarriel like this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No thanks, the wizzy epics have always been garbage.

The best thing about wizzy epic is the retelling where the new Freeport is on fire.....best thing for it. :)
    kizant and Jumbur like this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Doing it the RoF way with a single quest-line for class-specific rewards could probably work, But if they do, I think the next "epic" should be an augment(that could fit in any type-slot).

However, I won't sacrifice content for it. Not for any item at least...
    (I would totally sacrifice an entire expansion, for a core-engine update. Imagine a "polished" EQ with up-to-date tech: good client-side prediction, DX12 render, smooth performance, a retooled scaleable UI. ...etc)

And yes: Some wizards just wants to see freeport burn...:eek:
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Just so long as it isn't called EPIC NEXT.
    Bobokin likes this.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Totally agree gabage effect. Freeport and the actual look of 2.0 best thing on it.

Andarriel
  10. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Epics are now in the game in the form of Evolving item quests. Love it or leave it, that's what we will continue to receive based on posts from Ngreth on the subject. Embrace the pain of the grind! :D
    Derka likes this.
  11. Magickon Augur

Tappin, I think EQ has had enough of your idea posts.
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this again. Maybe have a clicky effect on the weapons to make them worth keeping around for a little while.
  13. Bobokin Augur

Yeah, that bites.
  14. Bobokin Augur

They could easily make new upgraded epic weapons by making them a combine item from a previous epic and a few hard drops.

As an example, a Warrior could have a combine of three specific current expac notrade swords. Combine them with their epic, and there is a new weapon created better than any of the three. It could even return the old epic on the combine.

Sure, it would take a bit of time to create a three items quest for each class, but no more than the other short quests in any expansion.
  15. Monkman Augur

But combining 3 no trade swords with an old epic item isn’t very....epic. These quests were all about lore and storytelling when they were introduced, they also took months upon months depending which class you were. The real problem with releasing new epic weapon quest lines is that the player base has changed. Back in kunark when the first were released most players never expected to finish the quest at all let alone in era.

I’m not against new epic weapons but if they do decide to release them, I want them to be agonizingly difficult to obtain, I’m talking 1-3 weapons per class per server completed in era. And that right there is why we won’t ever get them again, because to produce a true epic quest line with an obvious BIS item for each class is not worth the effort if only a handful of players can obtain them, and on the flip side of you make the quests too easy then it negates all weapon itemization for that expansion.

At the end of the day, the art team iirc produces their portion of the expansion like a year ahead of the content team, so don’t expect new weapon quest lines this year unless they’ve already done that work on them.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  16. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I think Vanguard handled "Epics" WAY better than EQ. While EQ was the first, it never adapted to the changing landscape. Even with the 2.0's, they took long enough that they introduced 2.5's to keep them "current" with DoDH, and having slot 4 + Slot 8 allowed them to remain somewhat relevant in TSS.

But Vanguard? They made it an Augment. Heck, they went so far as to make TWO augments (Visible and invisible, both with the same effect, so you could show off the latest shiny and not be tied to a singular graphic forever).

Think of how much drama would not exist right now, if the Necro 2.0/2.5 went into a special augment slot, that boosted your char's power forever, while actually letting you upgrade the base item?

That's how Vanguard's Epics worked. They increased a unique ability of a class (not just a raw damage boost or whatnot) and could be slotted around into each new BiS weapon.

_IF_ DPG ever decides to go forward with a new epic line, that's how they should go about it. They could do it in several ways:

Simple slot 20, with added effects + "Invisible" slot 20 option/version.

Create a new item slot across from the Krono slot in inventory. Allow any "Epic" flagged item to be placed there. (Ensure 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and possibly the CoTF collection reward have said flag)

Create a new aug slot type entirely, and follow as above for slot 20's. This would require items from that expansion or beyond to be able to utilize the new epic. (Kinda prefer this over just using slot 20, so people can still use slot 20's for ornamentation purposes) Give a slot 20 with a unique graphic along with the epic.

Another thing to make sure of, is that the effects don't become "dated." While people have been saying EQ is "dead" for a decade... it doesn't take a whole lot to future proof things. Ensure whatever the modifier of the epic is, that it:

A. is not affected by any form of cap (Skill caps, stat caps, mod caps, etc..)
    and
    B: includes character level within some multiplier to increase as level caps increase.

To further future proof it, allow it to become "upgraded" (similar to 2.5) maybe every other expansion, by performing two "tasks." This could be as simple as tying it to the Achievement system. Have a group portion for 50% of the boost, and raid portion for 50% of the boost. This gives both raiders and casuals something to work towards.