EOTD will be the end of this game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Apr 11, 2018.

1. High Voltage Augur

There is like a dozen things that slowly killed EQ for me. EotD isn't one of those.
  2. p2aa Augur

Complicated and difficult to do ? At lvl 105 it was not particularly difficult, at lvl 110 it must be so easy.

Lol. People that app to high end raiding guild usually come from a pool of mid tier raiding raiders who are yet flagged due to be needed to raid in their former guild, or serious groupers that want to try raiding and therefore will have done the work needed to get flagged.
    Even so returning players in the game that would be interested in joining a high end raiding guild will do the effort needed to fit for the requirement of the guild. And it's likely that it won't be the only requirement to join said guild ( like working on gear and AA).

The flag is not so vital for RoS raids. There is only 1 raid in RoS that requires EOTD. Not the end of the world.

Also, if your guild doesn't want to help your new main to get EOTD, then it's more a guild problem than a game problem.
  3. Lianeb Augur

There was only 1 in EoK that required it. That doesn't mean guilds didn't make it a requirement
  4. Sindaiann Augur

I've helped countless returning members, apps, and alts do it (not to mention the 5 alts I have done myself or when I 2 boxed it when it was current). I have no problem helping someone especially a potential applicant but you either help yourself and show the ability to do so, or I'm not helping you.

Last thing I am doing is holding someone's hand through old content, especially an app. In my experience people like that are not the quality applicant a high end raiding guild is looking for.

Not a slight on the OP - just my 2cp
    Zhaunil_AB, Jhenna_BB and feeltheburn like this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

A new app without a big social network do need help for many of those quests, not everyone is boxing you know(Gasp! :eek: ).
    Besides, grouping with new apps and helping them along is a good way to find out if they are right for the guild. Most guilds are recruiting players based on how well they play their main, and not based on their ability to multi-box alone.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  6. bazinga Elder

wow, another thread predicting the end of EQ....
  7. Issk Journeyman

. Lol, I think we have an Agile PO preaching the SDLC!

To your point, if they create a scaling level increase process they can put the work in now and reap the rewards in years to come... It would be nice if they would follow some sort of SDLC; however, do you see any proof of UAT with some of the garbage they release?
    IblisTheMage and Tatanka like this.
  8. Lianeb Augur

Huh?
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We have a requirement of apps having have EotD by the end of their trial, so they have a month to get the progression done. Most have completed it in that time, those who failed were the ones who didn't try to do it. Those who succeeded were apps logging in and asking for help got it done, we also have a few members who like to run some of those group tasks on boxed alts and will offer task adds.

I really think DBG took the eye off the ball on the ROS expansion, every other expansion they have wanted us in it playing the new content they created, ROS is the opposite and it seems they are doing all they can to make players play in older expansions, from the need to have the previous expansions progression done, to annoying T1 zones and NPCs.
    Zhaunil_AB and Cloudia like this.
  10. Lianeb Augur

I see people in ros zones everyday. In fact some zones so much so there are multple picks.

You need to stop looking at RoS with blinders on. People complained about EoK with it spin stun, riposte buffs, healing devuffs etc... just like you are now complaining about annoyances in RoS. There are aspects of RoS that are annoying and there are annoying mechanics, but these are not exclusive to RoS.

People need to stop claiming the exansion that is current is a big pile of stinking , and the one prior was and is so mich better. Its a stupid cirular arguement that is getting old.

You either deal with the mechanics and win or you dont and go play in easier zones. There are quite a few people that play eq these days that like to take it easy and i admire that, i certainly am not one of them. I like to challenge my group and pull multiple mobs and see how fast we can kill them. I loath groups rhat pull single mobs with a snare, cause i am standing around waiting on to get to me. Trust me when i say i can wipe a group alot. But the net XP gains are huge

But i understand those that want that type of play, and that is fine but shouldnt be what the game is developed around.

Its like my raid team and many guilds complaining about the pepto ring of death in vault 2. You either avoid it and live or stand in it and die. It really is that simple. Its a mechanic of the raid you have to overcome to win, plain and simple.

Just like all the other annoyances people are complaining about now, you either deal with them or you dont it is your choice. Bur dont claim the expansion sucks because you choose easy.

TL/DR:
    Stop complaining that each new expansion is sucky cause you do not like change in game play or mechanics. There is nothing in the new expansion that cant be done in group gear, it just doesnt fit your style of play. When you really just want easy and are happly to play in older content
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If everything stayed the same... the game would be pretty damn boring.
    Lianeb likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just people in the s/w dev world speaking their secret language to each other ;)
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

WARNING: Going off topic to follow Ciclee's post. All I will say on the OP post is that it was bad form for EQ to require previous expansion content including armor upgrades without providing prior knowledge of this to players.

The vast majority of EQ players are not raiders and simply want REASONABLE MODE. The vocal minority at either end of that spectrum will be the downfall of Everquest. Most players want things to be REASONABLE for a 19 year old game with players whose average age is much higher then many other games out there. The majority of EQ players have lives outside of the game and need to be able to do things like afk every so often. Does that mean they need a super easy game? NO.

We aren't really talking about easy mode here Cicelee. What we are talking about life balance for those of us who have no life outside the game and can sit at the keyboard non stop for hours on end without being able to afk occasionally.

We just want a game that has a reasonable level of difficulty for those who aren't geared up with raid items. We want a reasonable level of difficulty on missions and quests for those who do them for the first time in group gear and learn them in group gear. I have seen the difference between group geared and raid geared tanks. THAT is what makes content trivial for those whining about things being too easy or not hard enough.

And I have one thing to say to raiders who feel the group content is not challenging enough. Stop raiding and destroy all your raid gear.

P.S. Sorry for following Cicelees off topic post. :)
    Yinla, Zhaunil_AB and Spellfire like this.
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

I think the team is very small, with shared developers with the other games in the DB portfolio.

I think the resources needed for more testing have been deemed to expensive, so they test it themselves. I babbled about an idea for some automated scripting to test quests some months(?) ago, with the intent of having an automated framework to test quests, mob spawning, etc.

I don’t think they release garbage, but I think they are forced to release stuff fast and fix it the next month. Also I think there is an explicit or implicit factor of change management in this, protests always last for about 3 weeks, from release to the next test patch, where it dies out becuase of the fix (surprise surprise), and people start complaining about the next cycle. I can’t imagine it would be possible to have a customer group that would complain more, while continue to be customers. No matter what they do, the level of outrage is the same, so they just as well use it to drive the feedback they don’t get on Test. :-D

I know they use Agile, because it says so in their job postings (DB), and because things are working quite well :-D.

And I am not the Product Owner, I do not have a role in an Agile framework.
  15. Nekk Augur

You're correct. It is long, complicated and difficult especially if you don't know what you're doing and also for most non raiders who are not highly skilled or geared that well. - Please note that this is in general and not directed at you or anyone else here. You're also correct in that most people don't like or have the time to help. However, you're wrong in that top guilds do not recruit people unless you're already flagged.
    D'Pikey is actively recruiting, most classes are open, and the only requirements are that you make 60% RA and finish this by the end of your app and pass your trial by having over 50% yes votes or something like that. The last part is the only part I'm not 100% sure how it works because I'm not an officer. However if you would like to talk to one I'm sure you can find them on pikeys.net or ask me and I can mention some names from AB.
    Lastly I would like to mention that I have high play time, and no I can't solo most of the tasks, but usually a few people including me are always willing to help, (enough to get a few or more tasks done a day - because yes some of them are long) and most guildies are Euro meaning they go to bed earlier than I do.
    Yinla and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  16. Lianeb Augur

Gear is not the difference between most raiders and most other players. It is the excuse given for crappy play though. As a raid geared warrior I am not able to out dps my boxed toons that are 100% group geared. But in some pickup groups I can pull 80% of the total group damage while tanking.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  17. Lianeb Augur

I have also seen the opposite 100% group geared tanks tank well in current exapansion raids. So you can’t claim it’s the gear.

Well I guess you play ostrich and keep saying though it isn’t true

I guess you have never seen a mage out dps’d by his pet
    Sindaiann and Smokezz like this.
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

What guild? Inquiring minds want to know!

Also, weren’t you the one that complained on our beloved Forum-Quest about the 150aa cost of the new spellgem?

Meh, they could be in a really cliquey type guild where no one ever goes back for old things. But if OP asks for help and gets ignored, probably some combo of the guild being dickish and/or OP being one of those types that sits in the guild hall with lfg on saying “person looking for thing x or task y that I need” repeatedly until they log in frustration.
  19. Cicelee Augur

There is nothing off topic about my post. The OP came in making a silly declaration about EOTD and wanting a VOA/ROF transition where you like do a hail and automatically get EOTD without doing any work. That sounds pretty darn easy mode to me.

I know some good, strong group players who never raid who enjoy this game for what it is. Not only that, they have been pretty successful in achieving all their quests and tasks in group gear. They do not complain about the difficulty, instead they tackle it head on and complete it.

My post was not about casual vs raider either. You made it into that. It was about people wanting to be challenged in game vs people who want the easy way out (hail for EOTD). And these players, sorry to say, for the most part are just not very good at the game and that is why they want everything dumbed down so they do not have to put forth the effort into completing tasks.

A friend of mine went on a EOK raid a few weeks ago, Droga I believe. One rogue did more DPS on that event than six magicians combined. COMBINED. SIX MAGICIANS. Do you have any idea how pathetically terrible you have to be as a player to have you and five similar players combine to not even equal what one rogue did? Those are the players that want EOTD with a hail as well. Not because they want lazy mode, but they are so bad at the game that they cannot get EOTD at level 130, more or less 110.

That is what is going to kill the game. Thankfully the developers have not fully catered to either side, and instead have tried to have some grey area balance for both challenging skilled players and easy mode players...
    ptah, Lianeb and Genoane like this.
  20. p2aa Augur

There are 2 types of players though : the one who starts the quests on his own, see what he can do by himself (with his merc) and ask for help for the things that he cannot do, and the one who stands in the GH / GL / whatever you want not starting anything not looking at tasks asking to be babysited through all stuff and crying that people don't help him.
    Who do you think is more likely to get a hand from others ?